Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: JamesMonty's 85 GLH-Turbo project log

Hybrid booster

JamesMonty's 85 GLH-Turbo project log

I purchesed this GLH off eBay in 2008. It was a Southern car it's whole life, so rust is at a minimum. There is some slight front end damage that was fixed sometime in it's life, so there is a little more to be done in the future fixing it better.

So off to South Carolina from Cincinnati Dad and I went to pick it up. It was a little rougher than it looked in the pictures but what can I say, it was still worth what I got it for.

The car as it sat when I picked it up in South Carolina

On the dolly back to Ohio! (yes the grill was yellow)

When I picked it up the owner told me he used to have one when they were new. He was a big MG guy but he loved the little Omni. So when he found one for sale localy he bought it with the intentions of fixing it up. As many projects heath and time put it on the back burner for years till he finally sold it. When I got it it had sat for over 5 years. He told me he tried with no luck to get it to run, but it turned over fine. Within an hour of getting it home I got it to fire up! These cars won't run when the HEP is in 180deg from where it should be. I was thinking wow that was too easy, and it was. After it warmed up I reved it a little and the dip stick poped out. Did a quick compression check, 95-85-105-45. Just in case you don't know, thats bad. So off with the head and out with three cracked pistons. It sat for a few months while I gathered parts for a re-build. Plans were for a stock car to put around in. Then I found a wrecked 88 T2, 555, intercooled Shelby Z, for $300. I drove it home a poped the driveline out.

So in the omni went a 100k stock t2 motor and 555 (witch i think might really be a 520 with a 555 badge since I found a 520 tag in the glove box).

It took several month of gathering parts and money but it is finally together and running. If it wasn't for my recent job loss I would have it taged and insured and driving the streets. And I did change that ugly yellow grill for a NOS glh grill I got from Reeves last year at the mopar nats.

The car as it is now

T2 motor out of a 88 Shelby Z

Shifter cover from a minivan made to fit the Omni interior.

Over the next few month plans are to get it on the road and work out any bugs it may still have. Then the head will have to come off to fix a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. That should be a good time to throw on the 2 piece intake and the SS braided line kit on it.

What it has so far-

88 T2 motor
    555 (or 520 don't know) tranny with Daytona shifter cables
    88 Daytona radiator/intercooler
    Talon blow off valve
    All polybushings solid mounts
    Walbro 255 in tank pump

Re: JamesMonty's 85 GLH-Turbo project log

Wow thats awesome!
    Keep up the updates. Thats a hella fun project

Hybrid booster

Poor quality video of me having some fun on my first time out with it.

Some more picts-

Beauty shots of underneath

Current picts

The JDM angle

My slave labor washing it

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That omni is really coming along. Nice work.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

nice job! I like the shifter console from a mini

Nice work James, loving the shifter column. I never thought about that when I had my GLH.

BTW, whip your slave; he missed a spot by the antenna

Hybrid booster

But watch it.. he has a mean streak lol. Or maybe he was just picking on me because he almost as tall as I am..
    Shelby Lancer # 149... R.I.P.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by moparfwdsleeper View Post
    Nice work James, loving the shifter column. I never thought about that when I had my GLH.

BTW, whip your slave; he missed a spot by the antenna
    A little part of your glh lives on in this car. After sitting so long the gas tank a filler were rusted bad. So Clayton hooked me up with the tank and filler from his old glh. And yes that slave is too mean to poke, and he is almost as tall as twisted noodle!

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor mario03SRT's Avatar

James,

Good Job on the big swap!

Good to see another local SW Ohio TD on the streets. Now on to the G-Valve and a adj fuel regulator and a boost gage! How is the motor running? Are you running stock LM electronics?

Marion

Hybrid booster

Already has a g-valve installed! Its just adjusted out till I can get some street time. Boost and a narrow band a/f are in place. I need to get a picture of them, but I think you can see them above the shifter. I guess I forgot to mention the electronics. It was swaped to 87 t2 with a daytona lm and underhood map.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

lookin good..
    I like it.

Hybrid booster

I picked up a set of old school 5-star rims at SDAC with drag radials on them.

What do you think? They hook better than the 20yr old dry rotted tires on the car now, but at 5psi I can still roast 'em!

Also I got 30 day temp tags for it yesterday. Since it has a out of state title you have to have the car inspected to get a ohio title. To get it inspected you need to drive it to the bmv. Can't drive it to the bmv with no plates so thats where the temp tags come in. Anyway the car had 4 miles on the trip meter starting yesterday and now it has 14! Drove it to get gas and then to the car wash. Picked the kids up and went for a little drive. I would have drove more but it has a miss at low idle that is starting to get worse. I think the blown exhaust manifold gasket is getting worse. So now to buy the manifold and head gasket and just get it done.

turbo addict

Looking good James, glad they worked out for you.

IT's ALIVE!!!!!

turbo addict

Glad to hear you got that car out and kicking. Sounds like a lot of fun! Even better when the kids can ride along.

Hybrid booster

Off with it's head! Finally had a day off so the top end came off yesterday. All went well except for a broken exhaust manifold stud. So off to the machine shop it went today. The guy was not really to enthused about just drilling out the stud but would do it if the whole head was re-done. So I gave in and agreed to the head work. Should have it back by Friday and I have the weekend off to bolt it all back up. Also have a 2.5" down pipe in the mail to replace the stock 2.25" exhaust on the car now. I'm planing on doing a down and dirty side exit until I can make it out to my friends shop to have something welded up. here are some picts.

Notice the blown gasket. Oh, and since no one wanted the two piece intake I had for sale it is going on. Also have a SS line kit to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmonty View Post
    Off with it's head! Finally had a day off so the top end came off yesterday. All went well except for a broken exhaust manifold stud. So off to the machine shop it went today. The guy was not really to enthused about just drilling out the stud but would do it if the whole head was re-done. So I gave in and agreed to the head work. Should have it back by Friday and I have the weekend off to bolt it all back up. Also have a 2.5" down pipe in the mail to replace the stock 2.25" exhaust on the car now. I'm planing on doing a down and dirty side exit until I can make it out to my friends shop to have something welded up. here are some picts.

Notice the blown gasket. Oh, and since no one wanted the two piece intake I had for sale it is going on. Also have a SS line kit to go with it.
    Rock on Bro!

Hybrid booster

After loosing a week with the head at the machine shop (that place was a joke!) I finally fixed the broken stud myself. Worked all day and I have the top end 80% together. It will take most of tomorrow to finish up. Hope to have it running by tomorrow afternoon.

Hybrid booster

It's alive! again. Got the top end back on (by myself!) and everything hooked up, almost. Now I am running a 2-piece intake and a cast tbi valve cover, I need to completly re-do my PCV system. Might re-run my vac lines too since they don't fit the same as they did on the 1-piece intake. Also cut the stock 2.25 exhaust off and put a 2.5" down pipe on. Right now I just have the open downpipe and it sounds awesome! I have a couple 2.5" exhausts here at the house I cut off some other cars that I am going to "hillbilly fabricate" me a side exit out of. I just need to pick up a muffler and some clamps this week.

Here is the top end before I put it on-

Here it is all put together-

What all I added-

-2 piece intake
    -SS line kit
    -Large can waste gate actuator
    -billet thermostat housing
    -cast TBI valve cover
    -2.5" down pipe

turbo addict

Rock and Roll James! I'm happy to see you able to get your project going