Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Air Temp Sensor

Question About Air Temp Sensor

I'm converting my 1990 Turbo I to Turbo II electronics, so I have to install an Air Temp sensor.

The wiring harness in my car might already be from a Turbo II (I'm not sure), so I was wondering if someone could tell me where the sensor's wiring is located in a stock TII and what the colors of the wires are?

boostaholic

Re: Question About Air Temp Sensor

The wires that are on my 89 daytona shelby are as follows:

They are in the fuel injector harness. The wire colors are Black with a green tracer and Black with a red tracer. The connecter plugs into the sensor right in the middle of your intake manifold behind your fuel rail.

Funny you ask..i just extended my wires yesterday for the air temp sensor to the front of my car in my intake pipe....lol

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...72&postcount=5 There are the data sheets for the wiring.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by 89ShelbyGuy View Post
    The wires that are on my 89 daytona shelby are as follows:

They are in the fuel injector harness. The wire colors are Black with a green tracer and Black with a red tracer. The connecter plugs into the sensor right in the middle of your intake manifold behind your fuel rail.

Funny you ask..i just extended my wires yesterday for the air temp sensor to the front of my car in my intake pipe....lol
    Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I don't have that plug. I ordered the pigtail from Cindy along with the sensor and a grounding kit today, though.

She said that on the '90 engines, sometimes the wire is already on the ECU plug; I'd just need to splice into it. If it is already on the plug, will it still be black with a red tracer? (The wire doesn't change colors, does it?)

If I do need to add it to the plug, how difficult is it to add the pin? (I'm extremely worried about that part.)

On the bright side, I do have a TII manifold with the sensor port, but I have a vacuum line adapter coming out of it and going to my boost controller. I might just add it to the charge pipe right in front of the throttle body.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty_Duster View Post
    Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I don't have that plug. I ordered the pigtail from Cindy along with the sensor and a grounding kit today, though.

She said that on the '90 engines, sometimes the wire is already on the ECU plug; I'd just need to splice into it. If it is already on the plug, will it still be black with a red tracer? (The wire doesn't change colors, does it?)

If I do need to add it to the plug, how difficult is it to add the pin? (I'm extremely worried about that part.)

On the bright side, I do have a TII manifold with the sensor port, but I have a vacuum line adapter coming out of it and going to my boost controller. I might just add it to the charge pipe right in front of the throttle body.
    I was going to do that also, but i thought...that could be a problem down the line and it could start leaking unless you seal it up real good....i have my air filter almost in the front bumper...i just soldered 2 extended wires to right in back of the filter and tapped a hole for the sensor....that way i don't have to worry about leaks down the line. plus its always cool air right there.

OK, I picked this up at the 'yard this morning.

WTF am I supposed to do with it? There are "pins" I'm supposed to remove and then use them on the current motor?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

WTF am I supposed to do with it? There are "pins" I'm supposed to remove and then use them on the current motor?
    That's right. That connector should come apart somehow and then it should be relatively obvious how to get the pin out. If it isn't that obvious, post pics and we can guide you.

Take a pic and pull the red portion out the front. After that the pins should pull out the back. If they don't come easily you can see down where the red piece was there are clips that hold the pins in and you can pull them back with a pic and pull the wire out.

Also at the tech session this year Ken talked about using the charge temp sensor from a 98 Grand Cherokee as they have a faster change rate. The sensor has a exposed tip rather than the encased ones that ours came with but you have to be careful as some of the later ones have a inverse output compared to ours. Some said that they've seen aftermarket ones with the exposed tip but I never have so I can't verify it. Unfortunately the plug on the jeep is different than ours so if you want to use it you need the plug from it also. Some time I'll have to check at the parts store and see if they have one with a open tip for our cars.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Take off that red plastic retainer, then you'll need a pick or sharp tool, you'll see how the pins are kept in so carefully pull up on the wire and move the retainer/clip out of the way, then it will slide out. On your plug, simply use a drill to drill out the hole, no dissasembly needed, then again remove the red part on yours, push the pin in, wire up, done.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 07-18-2009 at 02:24 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll try to take pictures as I do this and post them up. Maybe I'll make a knowledge base entry about it.

OK, I got a few pins out, but before I start working on my Duster's plug, I decided to practice on the junkyard plug. I'm having some trouble getting the pin into the new plug, though.

Here's the plug again:

The back of the plug is just a cover held on by a few clips:

The red clip comes out with a little effort:

I had better luck getting the pin out through the "front" of the plug:

Then, I drilled through the cover on the back of the plug where PIN 21 will go:

Now, here's the problem:

How do I get the pin into the new location? I can't seem to get it in through the back or the front. Any advice?

How do I get the pin into the new location? I can't seem to get it in through the back or the front. Any advice?
    OMG, the pin just slid in from the back all of a sudden:

And then I replaced the red clip:

How does that look to you guys? Think I should attempt this on my Duster's harness once the new sensor and pigtail arrives?

Looks like you did a pretty good job to me.

OK, I've got my air temp sensor, and I'm planning on installing it this weekend.

I was looking at my intake manifold, and I noticed that I have a port on it. You can see it in this pic to the right of the fuel pressure regulator; there's a vacuum line coming off of it and going to the G-valve and then to the wastegate.

Is that the port where the air temp sensor goes? If it is, I'll just run the G-valve off of the port on the turbocharger itself. (I have that port blocked off currently.)

No, the boss to the right of that line is where the charge temp sensor would have gone if it were a TII car from the factory. You could put it there, but you will need to figure out something for the rest of the vac lines and PCV. Don't neglect the PCV in the process, and try to keep it with it's own line if possible.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

OMG, the pin just slid in from the back all of a sudden:

And then I replaced the red clip:

How does that look to you guys? Think I should attempt this on my Duster's harness once the new sensor and pigtail arrives?
    This should get made into a KC article. This is exactly what you hav to do to add the 'bootstrap' pin to a SMEC 60-way to make flashing possible...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I just had to do the same thing to my Shelby Lancer. It originally came with the charge temp sensor, BUT, I now have a '91 Lebaron GTC Turbo harness in the car so I lost the charge temp wiring during that swap, and was running a 2.5L TI SBEC for a while. Then I got a Shelgame cal which enabled the charge temp functionality.

I added the charge temp wiring just like you did, works great!

The vac line that was using that port went only to the manual boost controller and wastegate. I used the port off of the turbo for that line instead. My PCV valve is simply vented to ambient with a breather filter. (On a side note, I'm now boosting to 12 psi instead of 10, and I didn't change the setting on the boost controller. Weird.)

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    This should get made into a KC article. This is exactly what you hav to do to add the 'bootstrap' pin to a SMEC 60-way to make flashing possible...
    Really? I'd love to write an article for the Knowledge Center!

How do I submit the article?

Well, I typed up and submitted the article, and it's now awaiting approval.

You need to do something about that PCV system. Sooner or later you will wish you had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast