Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Worth what?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Worth what?

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    BTW - Carroll Shelby himself bought this car that started the thread....he must of thought it was a good investment It will become part of his personal estate and be used mostly for documentation purposes as we all know what happened to his test mule car #001.
    WTF?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ohlarikd View Post
    When I was in high school, the 1970 Challenger and Cuda were already 17 years old. They were already sought after classics (granted, not like today's crazy $300K prices), and they were known, respected, and sought after by everyone. Now the 84 Daytona is 25 years old, and the 87 GLHS is 22 years old. But outside this circle, it seems like they are not in the same league that the 60/70's cars were in the late 80s. If that makes sense. If you drove a 70 Cuda in the street in 1995 everyone notices. If you drive a Shelby Charger today, very few will notice. I think that factor equates a lot to price. I am not saying that I can pinpoint a reason, but it seems to be a fact.

I would wager that 'front wheel drive' is the killer in any long term investment opportunity. I can't think of any front wheel drive cars that garner big bucks. But for me, that is great, so I can buy my beloved TMs and not go bankrupt. I can enjoy what I enjoy.

Derek
    I disagree. When I'm driving my 86 daytona c/s t-tops, EVERYONE notices it. Whether they know what it is or not. When I go into parts stores and I tell them what I drive, I always get compliments. Random people come up to me all the time and ask about my car. I remember a guy at a toll booth complimented me on the daytona and asked if it was turboed, I revved the engine and let him hear it.

Hybrid booster

Well - I admit I haven't driven one in a while. Maybe things have changed - I hope so! I don't want to appear negative or anything, I am a real big TM fan. I guess in a few months (or earlier) when I find the right car, I will find out for myself. I shouldn't be so pessimistic yet.

Derek
    Last edited by ohlarikd; 09-27-2009 at 11:01 AM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Yeah, but you *stole* that car for that money
    I don't think that I "stole" it. I believe that I was treated fairly.

How much do you think I should have paid?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbojerk View Post
    I don't think that I "stole" it. I believe that I was treated fairly.

How much do you think I should have paid?
    I think you should have paid exactly what you paid for it, because thats really what matters, that both the buyer and seller are comfotable with the transaction.

My comment about "stole" is because you did get a pretty damn good deal on it, being that was before "the great depression" we are in and it could have netted more. Think of it this way, now that we are in the "depression" and values on everything have lowered... I'm pretty sure you could sell it for what you paid, but guessing you would want more?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

WTF?
    Going Racing
    Last edited by 168glhs1986; 10-02-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Yup
    Did you flip it already? and to Carrol no less? Do tell.

turbo addict

I'm pretty sure you could sell it for what you paid, but guessing you would want more?
    Yup!

Especially since I put $600 worth of new rubber on it...

turbo addict

Going Racing
    Last edited by 168glhs1986; 10-02-2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: misspelling

Hybrid booster

Wow very cool! Looked like a nice one for sure.

wait...what? What happened to GLHS #1?
    2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Mods coming soon!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by skitzo_inc View Post
    wait...what? What happened to GLHS #1?
    Going Racing
    Last edited by 168glhs1986; 10-02-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Hybrid booster

The price you were going to pay will seem like a bargain if this car ever sells again!

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/fi...ationId=122781
    If you are asking $21K at least get the title correct! I thought I would throw this out for discussion! Engine bay looks kinda dirty, guessing from setting for a while, but look at the wire harness, look how faded the tape looks, kinda odd to me......
    Edit... was looking at their site and saw these also
    http://www.gessweinmotors.com/show.aspx?vid=605709
    http://www.gessweinmotors.com/show.aspx?vid=605713
    Pretty sure I have seen these posted on here before.
    Last edited by shelbymopar89; 10-01-2009 at 09:56 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shelbymopar89 View Post
    http://www.autotraderclassics.com/fi...ationId=122781
    If you are asking $21K at least get the title correct! I thought I would throw this out for discussion! Engine bay looks kinda dirty, guessing from setting for a while, but look at the wire harness, look how faded the tape looks, kinda odd to me......
    I believe this car was sold. Here is the cardomain page:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332758

That dealership normally gets his asking prices also

Garrett booster

Here is my view....... I own a nice 86 S and I totally LOVE the car. I love all L bodys but my GLHS is just my favorite car ever. If I were to sell it as is I could NEVER get the money back I have into it. If I asked 9K I would still be losing $$$. Would I ever get or even ask 9K for my car. HELL NO! I would be lucky to get 5-6K. Does it bother me that its not worth as much as a hemi road runner or a new ZR1 vette.....mabey sometimes.....But I know my car would destroy them on a highway roll These cars are one thing.. FUN! you cant help but smile when driving on of these cars. Its so different and it gets SOOOOOO many odd looks at the gas station or at the track that it just makes me smile everytime. My advice....enjoy the car for what it is. Mabey 20yrs down the road someone will buy a nice one for 30K but I doubt it. These cars will never be what a Shelby stang is but to us TD' ers its better.....the rest of the world.....not so much. If you own a TD just to say you have a car worth a lot of $$$ mabey you should not own it, Cuz it aint worth sh*t! Some people need to have that reassurance that their vehicle has a good re-sale value. Well dont plan on it with a TD. My GLHS will be a rotted worthless wreck by the time Im done with it. Until then Im gonna drive it, enjoy it, accept compliments about it, turn heads every day, smoke honduh's and camaro's, and beat the piss outa it every chance I can!

On the flip side I watched a youtube video where a 89CSX sold for 30K! LOL!!! What a sucker!!!

turbo addict

They were built for fun...pure and simple. The whole point behind them was to give the common man the performance to beat the socks off the guy that spent twice as much. I don't understand why anyone wishes this mindset to change...it's definately for the love of money and not the breed.

Any other mindset other than the original one that Carrol intended just doesn't seem right to me. A closet collectible should stay a closet collectable...and should always be worth more to you than anyone else or else why have it?

That being said...

If I had $10 - $15k would I buy the car? heck yes!...and I drive the hell out of the car too...some call that crazy...I call it enjoying what Shelby intended...so fact of the matter of it is...I could care less what the value is.

These cars are as close to "drive it like you stole it" as it gets without breaking any laws but the speed limit!

Damn....that's a good quote if I don't say so myself

Worth what

I thought the board had gone defunct around Feb. when Id call it up and it wasnt there. Sam told me the other night it was up and going strong so I took a look. So for what its worth, I guess Ill check the board every morning like I used to.

Im back, anybody miss me?

mike

I would if I knew you.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44993
    What do you think?
    Price too high? I won't be insulted by what y'all say just merely curious about the other people that have these cars and what it would take to pry it out of your hands or what you would pay for it. My dad hasnt beena active in years in these cars ever since the midwest shelby dodge club fell through so his pricing is what it would take for him to let go of the car he has owned since 88' and only driven 25k since.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234