Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAL for G-Head vs. Swirl-Head

Hybrid booster

CAL for G-Head vs. Swirl-Head

What are the differences between a cal for a swirl head versus a g-head. Lets take it a step further, would the differences be the same if either head had +1 valves and was ported, using stock one-piece intake and a ported stock exhaust.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: CAL for G-Head vs. Swirl-Head

Mostly timing out of boost. If you go with a ported head, you'd want to change the PumpEff table - regardless of the head type...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

How much more would you add as a start.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

There's a couple of 2.5 G-Head cals in the repository (LM and SMEC-based). I also copied the SMEC cal over to a custom template for T-SMEC. Anyway, I don't remember off the top of my head how much timing to add in vac. Take a look at those cals for a good reference...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

Thanks

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

PUmp efficiency will never be the same on even the same mods, so best just to monitor AF and adjust as needed.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Was looking at some cals with D-Cal and Chem to find out how much advance before boost I need to add for a 2.2 with a g-head. Couldn't load the t-smec_25_atx_custom_g.bin into d-cal. So, how much advance should I add before boost and how much in what tables. Right now the car pulls good initially for all of 2 seconds and then flattens out without the kind of acceleration I got with the stock swirl head.

Yep, good old G-head,

You want to adjust part throttle and WOT spark tables. Just add and road test, keep adding until you get knock, or the the CEL flashing, and back off.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

What is this a 2.2 or a 2.5? I have spent over a year playing with 2.5 g-head cals. If its a 2.5 let me know and I can try to help you out.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Hybrid booster

I am working on a very good 2.2 G-Head +20s cal that is from the turbonator 9 Logic Module source code. It is for 87 octane and water injection. It is daily driven and nearly detonation free and incredibly responsive.

The only problem is a dis-functional boost control. It controls boost fine up to 8psi then if I ever up it then it will peg the boost gauge and then settle back low and then peg it again. I changed to a small wastegate restrictor but it did not work. I think its because I am using the stock 85 solenoids. Maybe I need a later style solenoid or change the wastegate duty cycle table curves.

Let me know if you need me to email the G-head 2.2 LM cal.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbo84voyager View Post
    What is this a 2.2 or a 2.5? I have spent over a year playing with 2.5 g-head cals. If its a 2.5 let me know and I can try to help you out.
    It's a 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by amcpacer View Post
    I am working on a very good 2.2 G-Head +20s cal that is from the turbonator 9 Logic Module source code. It is for 87 octane and water injection. It is daily driven and nearly detonation free and incredibly responsive.

The only problem is a dis-functional boost control. It controls boost fine up to 8psi then if I ever up it then it will peg the boost gauge and then settle back low and then peg it again. I changed to a small wastegate restrictor but it did not work. I think its because I am using the stock 85 solenoids. Maybe I need a later style solenoid or change the wastegate duty cycle table curves.

Let me know if you need me to email the G-head 2.2 LM cal.
    Would it be compatible with a SMEC?, if so, yes.

Hybrid booster

I think the LM version is very different than the SMEC version so it would not be compatible.

Why not put a copy of it in the code repository and then the rest of us could take a look at it?? I'm looking for a good G-head cal.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amcpacer View Post
    I think the LM version is very different than the SMEC version so it would not be compatible.
    You should be able to take the timing values from the one and put them into the other manually though. I have done that and it seems to work well.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    PUmp efficiency will never be the same on even the same mods, so best just to monitor AF and adjust as needed.
    So when I am in Chem, should I have part of the curve in PUmp efficiency at or above 100% - say from 3000-6000 rpms. How do you determine how high to go, or is it a "seat-of-the-pants" adjustment.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 88C/S View Post
    So when I am in Chem, should I have part of the curve in PUmp efficiency at or above 100% - say from 3000-6000 rpms. How do you determine how high to go, or is it a "seat-of-the-pants" adjustment.
    Drag the brakes to keep the car at a steady RPM while you are at WOT. Do this for about 30 sec to 1 min. At that time, take a reading of your AFR. boost, and EGT for said RPM. Go back into chem2, and see where your WOT table is and what the "green line" says your AFR should be at that boost level. If you have the green line set up properly and the value is off, adjust the pumping efficiency table in the proper direction to either add fuel or take it out until it pretty much lines up with your target AFR. This process has worked really well for me so far.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Drag the brakes to keep the car at a steady RPM while you are at WOT. Do this for about 30 sec to 1 min. At that time, take a reading of your AFR. boost, and EGT for said RPM. Go back into chem2, and see where your WOT table is and what the "green line" says your AFR should be at that boost level. If you have the green line set up properly and the value is off, adjust the pumping efficiency table in the proper direction to either add fuel or take it out until it pretty much lines up with your target AFR. This process has worked really well for me so far.
    lol @ ur pic

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Don't have wideband afr or egt, extremely limited budget for now. Drag brakes as in a hand brake? only have a foot brake.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbo84voyager View Post
    Was your head ported and with +1 valves?

Quote Originally Posted by 88C/S View Post
    Don't have wideband afr or egt, extremely limited budget for now. Drag brakes as in a hand brake? only have a foot brake.
    You can't do a cal without a wideband or the very least an AF gauge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast