Thread: OTC Datalogging

turbo addict

OTC Datalogging

I have an OTC 4000e and i was wondering if there is a way to increase the dataloging rate it seems to take a shot once a second or slower that isn't to accurate can i speed it up? How?

Re: OTC Datalogging

The best way to datalog with an OTC is to save a run, then print the data to a laptop. You only get 20 seconds or so, but it's good for a 1/4 mile run. It doesn't have any of the lag it gets when you try to view the display while the car is running. It was the only way I could get my 4000 enhanced to show which cylinders were actually experiencing detonation.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

turbo addict

so how do you do this? I know how to print it to the computer and i have done that but how are you not displaying the sensors or how do you make it faster i usually record under custom display should i do it somewhere else? Thanks

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

you need to run warrens program which captures all the info and organizes it in an excel worksheet format that is great to use.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that part. You will need to run that program to make sense of what your downloading. Also the 4000 manual does not explain very well what you need to do to record. I found the 2000 manual explained it better. If I get a chance I will get my 4000 out and write down the steps to record a run, how to set the baud rate, etc.

turbo addict

cool, i know how to record but can you change the baud rate of how fast it records?

No, only how fast it transmits data to your PC. It can record data in real time, it just can't seem to display it on the screen. When you put the data in the spreadsheet you can see all the sensor values.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

the problem with the OTC is that it seems to poll for every value each time it cycles. that really slows things down. typically all i want to see is boost, knock and rpm.

you running the 1990 SBEC ecu in the van? if so, i dont know of many other options for you to data log.

if you had a SMEC or a LM id suggest LMLog or SMECLog http://sites.google.com/site/jpcturbo/Home and a serial interface adapter from here http://www.schmartboard.com/index.as...opulated&id=84 and wire it to the TX and RX wires of the scanner connector and provide +5v for the module from either the ecu or one of those USB cigarette lighter chargers.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'll be releasing a logworks plugin for SMEC/SBEC based cars soon (hopefully another couple of weeks). Then you'll be able to log the values you want in realtime.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    I'll be releasing a logworks plugin for SMEC/SBEC based cars soon (hopefully another couple of weeks). Then you'll be able to log the values you want in realtime.
    sweet that's what i really wanted but it didn't exist when i got the OTC can you use the innovate wideband at the same time and log them together?

Hybrid booster

The less sensors logged the faster it pulls the data.

When I use my software to data log from my OTC I had it set up to only pull a few sensors. The difference in pulling the data is huge, from 1 row of data for just less than a sec to 100s of rows per sec.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    sweet that's what i really wanted but it didn't exist when i got the OTC can you use the innovate wideband at the same time and log them together?
    Yes. You just need a Innovate wideband and a serial or usb adapter so your laptop can connect to the SCI port on the car. If you meet those requirements, you can log as many or as few values as you want, have it integrated with the digital output of your wideband, and have it graphed out for you in realtime.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ssheen View Post
    The less sensors logged the faster it pulls the data.

When I use my software to data log from my OTC I had it set up to only pull a few sensors. The difference in pulling the data is huge, from 1 row of data for just less than a sec to 100s of rows per sec.
    how can i have it log less sensors? I don't have a owners manual so i just have to tinker to figure stuff out

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    Yes. You just need a Innovate wideband and a serial or usb adapter so your laptop can connect to the SCI port on the car. If you meet those requirements, you can log as many or as few values as you want, have it integrated with the digital output of your wideband, and have it graphed out for you in realtime.
    As soon as you get this completed please post it this would be a great help in tuning my cal.
    The cable you are talking about is that the same type that shelgame sells or shows how to make for use with minidash?

What do you mean integrated with the digital output of the Wideband (how do you hook them together?)
    Thanks for explaining this stuff to me

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    As soon as you get this completed please post it this would be a great help in tuning my cal.
    The cable you are talking about is that the same type that shelgame sells or shows how to make for use with minidash?

What do you mean integrated with the digital output of the Wideband (how do you hook them together?)
    Thanks for explaining this stuff to me
    Yes, the cable is the same.

You don't actually hook them together. You hook one port of your laptop up to the serial converter connected to the sci port. You then hook the wideband connector into another port on your laptop. They can be both usb, both serial, one usb one serial, doesn't matter.