Thread: Line pressure mod

turbo addict

Line pressure mod

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6084

So I have a stock 88 tranny in my NY. I want to mod the VB for better shifting and hopefully a longer life. Is this mod for me? Ive had the VB out and apart before (had to clean it), but never done any mods to it. Ive also read about the stock spring. I remember seeing this when I had it apart. So I unscrew this as far as possible, drill the hole and re-install? Then what? Ive also read about a gauge, what kind do I need, how do I hook it up? Whats the target pressure? Should I block off the accumulator? If I do, then how do I read the line pressure? Can I "get away" with out reading it?

Also, Ive read about adding a hole in the tranny to adjust the line pressure without dropping the pan. Anyone have any pics of this? Im assuming its just a drill and tapped hole in the case?

BTW, I have already added a large cooler, and a drain plug.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Line pressure mod

Read this and do these mods. If you do them, you MUST get the Sonnax rear band strut, turning up the line pressure will cause you to bend it. Yes, get rid of the accumulator.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3180

I wouldn't do Chads method without a rebuild to tighten up the clutch packs.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I actually just re-read those before I posted today . So the drilled bleed mod is more for built trannys then? I was planning that route, but some of your posts in the sticky made me think the bleed was a better mod.

So just a basic DIY shift kit is what I need for a stock tranny then?

Thanks Simon, I swear I should just start PMing you my tranny questions... lol.

Just do the basics and GET the sonnax band strut, if you dont' and turn up the line pressure, you'll bend it and reverse will be affected.

Tighten the front band down snug then back off 1.5 turns also,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Is that something I can change without pulling the whole tranny back apart?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Is that something I can change without pulling the whole tranny back apart?
    Its accessible if you drop the pan, dont' have to drop the valve body,

turbo addict

Wow... Sweet! I need to steal a FSM from work for the trannys and look it over. Once this is done, then should I do the bleed mod? Or still stick with the basics due to the stock tolerances?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Read this and do these mods. If you do them, you MUST get the Sonnax rear band strut, turning up the line pressure will cause you to bend it. Yes, get rid of the accumulator.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3180

I wouldn't do Chads method without a rebuild to tighten up the clutch packs.
    Simon,

Why wouldn't you do Chad's method without tightening up the clutch packs? does the increase line pressure cause more slip on them? I'm an Automatic noob and need to learn some of this stuff because i need to get the auto in my yorker working a bit better. It slips sometimes going into 3rd gear and I get an increase in engine rpms. Mostly in some boost at part throttle. If I floor it it'll hang a bit but go in.

turbo addict

Stupid thing still isnt shifting right. I may try to adjust the kickdown some more. It shifts instantly if I lift for 1/2 a second. I went and picked up my scanner from my dad today thou, so now I can watch the RPM's on when its shifting.

Also, I read that you recommend a quart of synthetic 10-30 in with the ATF. I dont have any synthetic, but I have some good mobil in the shop. Will that work the same?

Wow... Sweet! I need to steal a FSM from work for the trannys and look it over. Once this is done, then should I do the bleed mod? Or still stick with the basics due to the stock tolerances?
    Yes, do Chads mod as this doesn't affect the shift points as much.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Simon,

Why wouldn't you do Chad's method without tightening up the clutch packs? does the increase line pressure cause more slip on them? I'm an Automatic noob and need to learn some of this stuff because i need to get the auto in my yorker working a bit better. It slips sometimes going into 3rd gear and I get an increase in engine rpms. Mostly in some boost at part throttle. If I floor it it'll hang a bit but go in.
    It really turns up the line pressure and with the clearances so loose, you'll end up breaking something. I figured this out from another guy on here who did this mod on a stock trans and shattered the drum or clip retainer area. Mines all tightened up and no issues with that. I think I've got 8 months on mine, he had way less.

Also, I read that you recommend a quart of synthetic 10-30 in with the ATF. I dont have any synthetic, but I have some good mobil in the shop. Will that work the same?
    Yeah, helps lube up the diff and bearings.