Thread: Power module connector source

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Power module connector source

I pulled my PM out of the omni today in yet another attempt to track down my missing boost. I did notice that one of the connectors to the PM is broken and that wire looks very nappy.

Is there a source for new connectors at all?

Mitsu booster

Re: Power module connector source

I would just try to pull the pin out of the connector and re-solder it after cutting away the bad wiring...I'm about to do all that myself, when I relocate the PM to beneath the dash in my '85 Omni GLHT.

From what I have heard, the connectors are molex style and you can remove them somehow, but I have yet to be able to do so. Personally if the wire is bad at the plug, I would get a harness from a yard and do a good splice, i.e., make another plug from the power module. I don't like doing it, but it would be a better job than cut, splice and wrapping 12-14 wires. You know how I am about electrical stuff.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've used the molex ones. You need the male connector for a ata style hdd or cdrom (which has female pins). You can cut the connector away and remove the pin, or you can fold the tabs on the connector twards the wire. You then can cut the wire and slide the pin forwards.

You then need to drill or remove the pin from the PM connector. After that you can slide the wire thru the opening of the pm connector that sits into the PM wire end first until it stops and you should be good.

The molex pins are a little small from what I remember, so I believe what my bro and I did was to open the new pin a little and force on terminal end on the pm. We took a whole crapload of dielectric grease and filled the cavity of the PM connector, slid the wire thru the connector and seated the connector down on the other pins as normal.

I'd agree that this is probably a bit much work if it's more than a few wires.

This really stinks then. There is really only one connection that looks a little rough due to the chunk being broken off. The actual barrel of the connector is all in tact, but the part where the wire crimps on is exposed. Perhaps I will just put some liquid electrical tape on there and be done with it.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it anyway, as I checked the injector harness plug and the PM stuff, determined that it's OK, and I still haven't found my boost.

Garrett booster

The pm plugs split into two pieces each. At least they did on my omni. You could then just splice 5 to 6 wires with the correct connector halffrom another harness,

Quote Originally Posted by boboli View Post
    The pm plugs split into two pieces each. At least they did on my omni. You could then just splice 5 to 6 wires with the correct connector halffrom another harness,
    Thanks for that tip. It felt like they should, but I thought I was just close to breaking them.