Thread: How bad is this head cracked? Up for sale.

turbo addict

How bad is this head cracked? Up for sale.

OK heres the story......I put this head up for sale in my big hi-performance parts give away thread and I decided to have it pressure tested so that I could sell it in good conscience. Well, my machinist is concerned about some cracks that he found. It seems like the head holds pressure and ive never had any coolant in the cylinders or compression in the coolant. In fact, I noticed these cracks last time I had the head off and ran it anyways. It does not appear that they are traveling. Anyways, the machinist said they are repairable, but it would take a few hundred bucks in removing the two valve seats, welding, recutting the holes for the seats, blending the bowls, etc. He was also concerned with the cracks between the seats......even though I explained that they have always been there, theyre there on EVERY head, etc.

Anyways, the buyer I had lined up to buy it backed out b/c of the news. He doesnt want to get involved with a potentially bad head. So, I think im gonna offer this head up for what ive got into it in hardware......cheap, cheap if anyone thinks they can fix it or just want the +1mm valves, pt lifters and shims, comp 902 springs, roller cam and rockers, etc. I dont want to invest in trying to fix it only to have more money into it and then potentially not sell it......im going with a different engine in my car.

So, feel free to chime in as to what you think could be done with the cracks, how bad they are, etc. Shoot me a PM if you want this thing cheap.

Heres the flow numbers......I couldnt find the flow sheet, but I did video tape the flow bench time if anyone is interested.

Stock intake/exhaust:
    .100 45.6 / 42
    .200 83.8 / 78.5
    .300 109.7 / 94.1
    .400 129.4 / 100.1
    .500 140.0 / 105.4

Ported numbers intake/exhaust:

.100 49.4 /45
    .200 93.6 /92.1
    .300 127.2 /113.4
    .400 154.1 /125.2
    .500 173.2 /136.6

Heres pics of the head. You can see the cracks in pics 2 and 3 running from the valve set up onto the deck. There are two of these cracks in two cylinders.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: How bad is this head cracked? Up for sale.

Those are bad cracks,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Those are bad cracks,
    Well, I know theyre not good!!! Worth fixing?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    Well, I know theyre not good!!! Worth fixing?
    They can be fixed but it won't be cheap. The porting job seems good to it will be worth it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

those cracks were there before putting the head on the car the last time. i remember seeing them last summer. they havent gotten any larger. they are definitely repairable and worth doing it due to the head porting and all of the other hardware put into the head.

someone has to have a machine shop/welder hookup so that they can have this repaired for cheap and put the head on their car.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

200 bucks and its gone. If it doesnt sell for that, ill put it on my charger as-is and run it. Worst comes to worse and it starts using coolant, ill know i gotta take it off.

I think the issue would be that the exhaust gas could leave the cylinder and get into the cooling system, causing spikes in temps. Happened to my Daytona for 5000+ miles, not fun. However, if you keep in under boost, you should be ok until it just simply gives out.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I think the issue would be that the exhaust gas could leave the cylinder and get into the cooling system, causing spikes in temps. Happened to my Daytona for 5000+ miles, not fun. However, if you keep in under boost, you should be ok until it just simply gives out.
    How would exhaust gas get into the cooling? IF anything, it would bleed compression into the cooling, but when there is exhaust in the cyl, the valve is open and pressure would escape through the port.

If I were to put it on my charger, it would be no biggie. Whats a head change on that car? A couple hours? Its been fine for a year, it might just hold indefinately.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    How would exhaust gas get into the cooling? IF anything, it would bleed compression into the cooling, but when there is exhaust in the cyl, the valve is open and pressure would escape through the port.

If I were to put it on my charger, it would be no biggie. Whats a head change on that car? A couple hours? Its been fine for a year, it might just hold indefinately.
    Sorry, I meant combustion gases. hehe Head changes take me over a month! That or I just am not in a rush to do it.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]