Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded intercoolers for the stock location.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Upgraded intercoolers for the stock location.

At SDAC, there was on display at the hospitality night tech session, an upgraded intercooler intended to fit in the stock location but with a larger and more efficient core.

I personally think this item would be perfect for a car like my Acclaim, where the the setup will be a relatively mild daily driver.

Anybody else think this would be a cool product offering?
    Last edited by contraption22; 07-09-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Upgraded intercoolers for the stock location.

Yes. There are diminishing returns when you get into relocation - not that much benefit for the hassle, the hacking, loss of AC condensor, overheating . . .
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Mike, i would try a thunderbird SC intercooler. they looked almost identical to the one that Ken had on display. the internal fins might be different but it still is better than a stocker.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

What like a S60 i/c that no one runs and hates? The biggest problem with the stock i/c is that it sits next to the hot radiator and behind the hot a/c condensor. If I'm gonna go through the trouble of swapping i/c's it's not that much harder to go with a real front mount, especially if it were a vehicle like an AA body where there's tons of room.

Hybrid booster

I'd be interested.

Did anyone get any pics of the upgraded intercooler? What was different about it? Where the end tanks changed?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Yes. There are diminishing returns when you get into relocation - not that much benefit for the hassle, the hacking, loss of AC condensor, overheating . . .
    If you lose your a/c condensor and overheating you're doing it wrong.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    At SDAC, there was on display at the hospitality night tech session, an upgraded intercooler intended to fit in the stock location but with a larger and more efficient core.

I personally think this item would be perfect for a car like my Acclaim, where the the setup will be a relatively mild daily driver.

Anybody else think this would be a cool product offering?

Exactly what I need for the SL where I want to keep the AC and NOT cut holes in anything.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WLKivett View Post
    I'd be interested.

Did anyone get any pics of the upgraded intercooler? What was different about it? Where the end tanks changed?
    if youve seen a t-bird sc intercooler, it looked almost identical to that with T2 style endtanks. it was a little wider and a little thicker than stock but still would fit in the stock location but had the larger heat exchanger tubes like the t-bird.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    What like a S60 i/c that no one runs and hates? The biggest problem with the stock i/c is that it sits next to the hot radiator and behind the hot a/c condensor. If I'm gonna go through the trouble of swapping i/c's it's not that much harder to go with a real front mount, especially if it were a vehicle like an AA body where there's tons of room.
    Nope, not like the S60 cooler. As stated, this would have a larger core than stock.

I doubt the radiator has much effect when the car is in motion. Race cars don't have A/C. And chances are good the A/C is turned off when you're going honda hunting.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by xdig View Post
    Exactly what I need for the SL where I want to keep the AC and NOT cut holes in anything.
    Thats what I am thinking.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

Nope, not like the S60 cooler. As stated, this would have a larger core than stock.

I doubt the radiator has much effect when the car is in motion. Race cars don't have A/C. And chances are good the A/C is turned off when you're going honda hunting.
    Race cars also have front mount i/c's. Anything under 30MPH and the i/c will be sucking heat off the rad. And most people that have removed all the plastic in the car because they think it's in the way will have even more heat soak. If you really think that enlarging 2 factory holes in your radiator shrouding will lower the value of your shelby then maybe you shouldn't be modding it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Race cars also have front mount i/c's. Anything under 30MPH and the i/c will be sucking heat off the rad. And most people that have removed all the plastic in the car because they think it's in the way will have even more heat soak. If you really think that enlarging 2 factory holes in your radiator shrouding will lower the value of your shelby then maybe you shouldn't be modding it at all.
    Ok then.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Anyone get a pic of it, I didn't see the IC.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I might have a pic... once I un-F my PC

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I bet it plays a huge role, the rad is shedding of 195 deg F heat all the time so thats being sucked into the IC, so your not going to the IC down below 195, the a/c condenser sheds even higher temp heat, probably 240 deg's so now you have that working against it.

As for cruising for Honda's with the a/c off, wanna bet?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

+1 simon. My T2 i/c will heat soak if I cruise under 20MPH. I've got to be up over 35 with clean air in front of me before it cools off.

turbo addict

When you get near full throttle the A/C kicks off anyway. There is still latent heat there. But in terms of a strict on/off, when you punch it, it kicks off.

I run a log setup so I have intake temps. Using my OTC 4000e, the highest intake temps I've ever seen is 150* and that's a full soaked engine running around 65mph on the highway, boosting up and down in traffic in about 90* ambient with added humidity (this is Georgia after all). I have not done a ton of testing though but look forward to doing more when I get time. I wasn't running the A/C that day because I had the extender wire ran through the passenger side window.

If there were a new side mount IC I might be interested. I think an improvement in flow would be great. I doubt there will be a significant reduction in intake temperature.

I've wondered how much the battery sitting an inch behind the IC hurts its capabilities. A new side mount would not help this situation. I think Moparzrulz (sp?) has a picture of a Daytona or something where he moved the battery to the other side and have always wondered if that was done to help the side mount IC. But if you went to the trouble to move the battery you could probably more easily install a better front mount IC.

$0.02.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilort View Post
    When you get near full throttle the A/C kicks off anyway. There is still latent heat there. But in terms of a strict on/off, when you punch it, it kicks off.

I run a log setup so I have intake temps. Using my OTC 4000e, the highest intake temps I've ever seen is 150* and that's a full soaked engine running around 65mph on the highway, boosting up and down in traffic in about 90* ambient with added humidity (this is Georgia after all). I have not done a ton of testing though but look forward to doing more when I get time. I wasn't running the A/C that day because I had the extender wire ran through the passenger side window.

If there were a new side mount IC I might be interested. I think an improvement in flow would be great. I doubt there will be a significant reduction in intake temperature.

I've wondered how much the battery sitting an inch behind the IC hurts its capabilities. A new side mount would not help this situation. I think Moparzrulz (sp?) has a picture of a Daytona or something where he moved the battery to the other side and have always wondered if that was done to help the side mount IC. But if you went to the trouble to move the battery you could probably more easily install a better front mount IC.

$0.02.

Where is your IC located?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Are you intercooled Chilort? That sensor can take quite a bit to react. It's more like an intake manifold temp sensor than a charge air temp sensor. Out canyon carving my GLH when it was a log with a grainger I saw 300 degrees on my scanner

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Not only is it physically different demensionally, but the fins per inch split the difference between the Indy IC and the TII IC for a better compromise between flow and cooling.

IIRC the intake and IC we saw at the deal were the same ones which were on his car when he was making the jump to ludicrous speed in a full weight, A/C, all the bells and whistles car. Few of us have cars which can lay claim to such. Although I have never seen it, Sledgehammer is the only car I can think of which fits the bill...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast