Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Srt-4 as a DD

Srt-4 as a DD

How do Stock Srt-4 hold up day in day out? I'm wondering how well they do as Daily Drivers. I just want to hear some opinions and what to look out for on a used one.

turbo addict

Re: Srt-4 as a DD

It's fine for a daily driver so long as you have one of two things: all seaon tires OR a second set of wheels with snow tires mounted on them. The stock BF Goodrich KDW2's and Micheilin Pilot Sports are 3 season tires only......This is also assuming you live somewhere that gets cold and snow........

boostaholic

Talk to Steve Menegan.
    He told me @ SDAC he has 230,000 miles on his 05 ACR, he just changed the clutch and starter.
    But then talk to Slasky, he's had a few problems with his.
    My 04 only has 12,000 miles on it, so I can't comment on a DD.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I used mine as a daily driver for a couple of years. It's a nice vehicle and makes the drive to and from work a little more fun.

I work in the city of Philadelphia now and do not drive my SRT-4 to work nearly as often.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Is the 2.4 in the SRT-4 a non-interference motor?

I enjoy my DD now but it would be nice to get back into a Turbo Dodge while my Spirit Rt is down. Though I don't want the headache either of having multiple problems. So I'm not in hurry to buy one but if I find the right one at the right price I may jump on it.

Yes, the SRT-4 engine is a non-interference engine.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

I test drove one and settled on a regular SXT instead of the SRT-4 for a couple reasons. First, there are no mufflers. Even though the turbo quiets things down, it's still loud. Second, the seats. They are firm and they hold you in well, but your --- feels it later down the road. Of course these things come with a faster car, but they should be considered when picking a commuter car. Obviously my SXT isn't nearly as exciting to drive to work as an SRT-4 would have been, but that's what the Lancer is for. I drive that if I want to feed my boost cravings.

Quote Originally Posted by neonsox View Post
    I test drove one and settled on a regular SXT instead of the SRT-4 for a couple reasons. First, there are no mufflers. Even though the turbo quiets things down, it's still loud. Second, the seats. They are firm and they hold you in well, but your --- feels it later down the road. Of course these things come with a faster car, but they should be considered when picking a commuter car. Obviously my SXT isn't nearly as exciting to drive to work as an SRT-4 would have been, but that's what the Lancer is for. I drive that if I want to feed my boost cravings.
    I can agree with you on the seats. And after a few months of daily driver duty, I located a set of front seats from an SRT-4 equipped with side air bags. These are more like the SXT seats, but are upholstered to match the rest of the SRT-4 interior. I miss the support of the original seats, but they are safe in storage if I ever want to put them back in.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

I test drove a srt-4 before but I didn't think the noise and comfort of the car was that bad. Well my weekend driver has Magnaflows on it and 600in-lb springs so maybe that clouds my judgement. My daily driver right now is a Galant GTZ which is just as quiet as my mom's Buick. It's a nice car but driving to and from work I want a more entertaining experience. The Galant which handles nicely is pretty boring even if it's a high 15 second car with a sports suspension.

Garrett booster

I use one as a daily driver and its great. It's an 05 ACR, and I have 106,XXX kms on the car and have only had to replace both front control arms. You get used to the exhaust sound after a while, and if I get tired of it there is always the Kicker sound system that drowns it out. The seats are great, they are comfy and really hold you in place.

Oh and for the record, I drive fast and corner hard and I've had zero issues.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    Talk to Steve Menegan.
    He told me @ SDAC he has 230,000 miles on his 05 ACR, he just changed the clutch and starter.
    But then talk to Slasky, he's had a few problems with his.
    My 04 only has 12,000 miles on it, so I can't comment on a DD.
    NO...DONT talk to slasky...he will tell you they are a POS and he'll never own one again...beleive me...i think he has had alotta bad luck cause all my friend's srt's hold up just fine with just maintenance issues,

I know Kaleb uses his a daily driver. I love the sound and the seats, but I settled for an SXT as well. It was much cheaper.
    2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Mods coming soon!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

What kinda gas mileage do these skittles get?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Depends on how you drive-

Drive it like you stole it and you get crap mileage, drive it like a normal person and keep the turbo from spooling, and you get close to regular Neon mileage.

Whats a neon get?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

*damn you... you're just going to make me have to dig up my window sticker on my ACR....

Anyways, Neons can get close to 30mpg on the highway.

turbo addict

22 city and 30highway for the SRT-4

Hmmm now if I can only find one for cheeeep

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

boostaholic

When I was granny driving mine to work I was getting 28mpg, 75% highway.
    I installed Stage 2 which runs real rich, brought it down to 25.
    Took care of that by installing a ported exhaust manifold and big wheel stock tubo.
    I always wanted to disconnect the wastegate actuator arm for a tank and see what it does.

The mpg looks good for this much performance. I always liked the SRT-8 cars but the mpg always drew me away from them. I sat in a neon SRT-4 yesterday and I'm noticing quite of few people replacing their seats in their neons with ones without the large side bolsters. I kind of want one with the race design seats. I even saw a ACR with the seats removed for this design.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast