Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning Tutorial

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Tuning Tutorial

Oh, and there is a new, graphical, ASM editor (as opposed to a binary editor like D-Cal/CHeM) in the works. I think he plans to release it before too long. It will make a lot of this stuff a TON easier to setup (MAP and injector scaling, adding points, etc.). I've played with the test version, and it's pretty nice. But, I've maybe said too much already...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

LOL...well, my question got answered and it probably helped somebody, but as I thought...WAY over my head! LOL Oh well, maybe one day it'll actually be useful to me!

Thanks Risen!! I was hoping someone would do this someday. I have played around with editing cals myself but always get messed up with what to do first and how to properly save. I can never get a calx file and a tbl file at the same time when I try to assemble it, so I can't use Chem2 and D-cal on the same cal. I end up using D-cal mostly, which is more difficult for me to figure out. Thanks in advance for the Chem2 vid!

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Ok here are the vids for chem2. I had a long (14hr+) day at work when I made them so my voice probably isn't as clear as the dcal vids. LMK what you guys think.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Subscribed.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Once again aw some work

Wow, I really wasn't expecting this much involvement in the tutorial. Thanks SO much guys for input and Risen for the videos! Hopefully we can add these to the knowledge base in some way.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I'm planning on putting them in the KC. But I'd like to give them a chance to get looked over first and if people have questions I can try and answer them or if there are any huge errors, fix them before it's in the kc. It's tutorial beta testing .

turbo addict

Can't wait to see how to setup one of the relocatable files from start to begining. Nice Work Risen!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i just now saw this thread.....

did any of you who say "i dont know what tables to adjust!!!!?!?!???!" read my article in the knowledge center?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...e&articleid=78

i covered that stuff in there. all i really didnt cover is how to set up the .asm file but thats really easy. its like 3 or 4 values to change.

now i gotta find time to watch those videos.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Pictures and a video are worth a thousand words sometime. Just reading about something can be confusing if you don't see where to start. And sometimes there are people that really need it spelled out in laymans terms. Not computer terms.

i dont think its always a matter of needing a picture. alot of times it seems too overwhelming to even try so noone even gives it a shot even though its clearly spelled out. its 6-8 tables to dial the car in 99% of the time. a few more if you want ecu controlled boost.

i can understand the .asm file looking overwhelming. it has a crapload of info in it but again, its something like 3-5 values that you have to change and they are all up in the upper part of the document and there are instructions in there on how to change them. Pick your map sensor, pick your trans, pick your engine type (LM) or the calibration template that best matches your car (SMEC) and then put the lb/hr number in the injector scaling area (SMEC) save and hit the batch file.

I dunno, i guess im feeling pissy right now. i want folks to get the files, get chem and d-cal
    http://www.squirrelpf.com/bucar/ecu%20stuff/Chem2.zip
    http://www.squirrelpf.com/bucar/ecu%.../D-Cal_120.zip
    get the turbonator version for their computer and try to figure some of this out and ask questions when they get stumped. not say "i dont know what to do" and then not try. Anyone who knows me knows that im not mr computer code. I had to trudge through it. now, am i willing to help others learn? yes. will i spoonfeed you? most likely not. simon burned me out in that regard

ill be less cranky in the morning. im really tired.

brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i dont think its always a matter of needing a picture. alot of times it seems too overwhelming to even try so noone even gives it a shot even though its clearly spelled out. its 6-8 tables to dial the car in 99% of the time. a few more if you want ecu controlled boost.

i can understand the .asm file looking overwhelming. it has a crapload of info in it but again, its something like 3-5 values that you have to change and they are all up in the upper part of the document and there are instructions in there on how to change them. Pick your map sensor, pick your trans, pick your engine type (LM) or the calibration template that best matches your car (SMEC) and then put the lb/hr number in the injector scaling area (SMEC) save and hit the batch file.

I dunno, i guess im feeling pissy right now. i want folks to get the files, get chem and d-cal
    get the turbonator version for their computer and try to figure some of this out and ask questions when they get stumped. not say "i dont know what to do" and then not try. Anyone who knows me knows that im not mr computer code. I had to trudge through it. now, am i willing to help others learn? yes. will i spoonfeed you? most likely not. simon burned me out in that regard

brian
    This is some of the best advice in the thread.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    You can add me to the list too, just about ready to start monkeying with the cals, not that I'm qualified in any way, just brave/stupid enough to think I can make it better!

Mike
    +1

turbo addict

brian
    See I don't even know what an ASM file is or where to find it or how to view it. I do use Dcal and custom tune my own cals (robs modified stock cals) and I dont know everything about them but I'm doing pretty good I think for having to figure most of it out on my own. Telling people to just go modify the cal doesn't really help if you don't know how or what to change. Sure change the fuel tables. Ok how? what do the #'s mean, am I doing the right thing? Some people want a little assurance that they're doing this right. If they don't know what they're doing and feel overwhelmed they'll quit. This thread has been great with Risens walk throughs even though I know most of what he's done so far at least with Dcal. I don't use CHem2 yet.

Keep up the good work Risen! Can't wait for the relocatable cal stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    See I don't even know what an ASM file is or where to find it or how to view it. I do use Dcal and custom tune my own cals (robs modified stock cals) and I dont know everything about them but I'm doing pretty good I think for having to figure most of it out on my own. Telling people to just go modify the cal doesn't really help if you don't know how or what to change. Sure change the fuel tables. Ok how? what do the #'s mean, am I doing the right thing? Some people want a little assurance that they're doing this right. If they don't know what they're doing and feel overwhelmed they'll quit. This thread has been great with Risens walk throughs even though I know most of what he's done so far at least with Dcal. I don't use CHem2 yet.

Keep up the good work Risen! Can't wait for the relocatable cal stuff.
    if you would go and download the turbonator code for your computer (lm or smec or sbec... though the sbec code is in its early stages) and LOOK at the files that it comes with, you would see one that has the .ASM file type. (if you have windows set to view "details".... not gay thumbnails or icons or list... details should be the only option in computers) open it up. so you dont know what to open it up with? what do you always open unknown files with? NOTEPAD! Notepad quickly tells you if a file is a text based document or not.

so then you say "i dont know what to do with the stuff inside.....". READ!!!!! there are instructions inside.

then you say "well, i sure as hell dont know what a batch file is....". well if you would go and download the turbonator code for your computer (lm or smec or sbec... though the sbec code is in its early stages) and LOOK at the files that it comes with, you would see one that has the .BAT file type and if you have windows set to view "details" (like you should), youll see that its a MS-DOS Batch File. double click on that file and it generates the bin, table, and calx files that you need to work with the cal.

then you can watch risen's movies about chem2 and learn how to scale the injectors for whatever injectors you have. (i think he covered that... i just skimmed the video).

then you can stop saying "i dont know how to do that" cause at that point you will know how to do it. and you should feel better about yourself cause you put forth the effort to learn and teach yourself a little here and there.

at that point if you are unsure, ask someone to take a look at the cal you just made and see if it looks reasonable. hell, compare it to the ones you run now and see if the tables looks relatively the same... which tables you ask? the ones that i described in my calibration basics article.

still unsure? email it to brian bucar at bluefrog dot com and ill take a look at it for you. i might even make some changes for safety and give you a few pointers that ive learned along the way.

Brian

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

I added some basic instructions to the T-SMEC thread (post#1) on how to change the .asm and run the batch file. I realized from this thread that there really was no explanation as to what to do with the files...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

I REALLY want to start messing with my cals....gotta get money for the proper equipment and the nerve to actually do it! Honestly, I'll admit I'm kinda scared! With as much trouble as normal computers give me, I don't know what to expect doing this! LOL

Hell, I have an LC1 WBO2 and I still haven't tried to datalog with it! The one piece of equipment I KNOW I should probably have is some sort of scanner to tell me if the engine is seeing knock retard...I don't have one of those either(looking for suggestions so I know what to look for and add to my wish list).

In these regards I feel like such a nube and kinda like I'm not worthy! LOL

I dunno, i guess im feeling pissy right now. i want folks to get the files, ...

brian
    Quit being pissy, cranky and tired at the same time! Just giving you a hard time.

I will say that you have sent me some information and been very helpful, so my asking isn't directed at a lack of support from you, or Cordes for that matter. My initial thinking was to have something documented like this so some of the basics would be covered. It's a bonus that it's in video format. The other thing too is, I remember some of what I have hear you and Cordes talk about, but I don't remember all of it. To be honest, it was somewhat over my head, simply for the fact of ignorance on my part. And you were very open about getting in touch with you, so again that is very well taken.

I thought this would be some good stuff to have, although I will admit I hadn't checked the knowledge base for what you had posted. This I will do!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

then you can watch risen's movies about chem2 and learn how to scale the injectors for whatever injectors you have. (i think he covered that... i just skimmed the video).
    Actually, I'd appreciate it most if people like you and Rob would actually sit down and spend a non-refundable 1/2 hour of your lives and watch the videos . Since the target audience of the videos doesn't know when to call BS on what I post, that's the only way to make sure that everything in the videos is good. I know it's drudgery for someone who already knows the stuff, but once it's done you can point people to the videos instead of expending energy late at night posting tirades

I agree with your basic sentiment to some extent, as all the stuff is documented in one place or another. I do think, however, that this format makes things much more accessible because all the person has to do is to watch the video. I think getting your introduction to a complex topic via a video makes being overwhelmed a little easier to deal with (you can think about something, rewind, come back later, and post Q's if something still isn't clear, etc). Again, if someone else wants to post up a video, I'll gladly tell you what software and settings I used (camstudio) and hand over the youtube login/password. They're not that hard to make, but it's about how much time you feel like investing.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast