Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning Tutorial

Tuning Tutorial

Ok, there may be some stuff out there on this, but I am formally requesting training on using the DCal, Ladybug, Grasshopper and any and all insect related cal modification tools that are the most common. Obviously since I don't live close to anyone, maybe the next time I'm in Cincy for TurboPalooza or something like that I can have someone's time to understand which programs to use, which are the most common tables to adjust, what the adjustments mean and so forth so I can gain some understanding and start working with custom calibrations.

My goal is to get an understanding of how things should be adjusted and then start creating cal files for review. I don't plan to EVER install a cal on my car until it seems I am self sufficient, but I do know I can create cals and maybe have someone kinda look over my shoulder to see if there are any outstanding issues. I know this may not be the norm on how this stuff is done, but I know I can grasp these concepts if I had some better understanding.

I guess the first thing is, which program is the most commonly used? Why?

Thanks in advance!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Tuning Tutorial

I would be interested in learning this as well

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hmm, how about a quick video capture of a desktop with a voiceover for youtube or something? I could try and do that, if you think it'd be helpful. I'm planning on doing something like that for the logworks software once I release it for the SMEC/SBEC cars (which should be in a couple of weeks, I hope).

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

First, Dcal is a program for modifying a calibration, so is ChEM. I use both, because they both do some things well, but not everything, so sometimes I need to use the both on a calibration.

Ladybugg, Turbonator, and Blueberry are some common names for actual calibrations.

The modifying of cals is pretty easy and straight forward, the kicker is knowing WHAT to modify. I still havent figured that out, well, past upping the boost or changing injectors hehe

If I were you, I would get a burner, some chips, and a socketed LM installed in your car, then burn some basic (known good) cals. Once you can do that, then you can play with things a little here or there to see what the effects are. Use Chem or Dcal to mess around with all the aspects of the calibration.

IE learn by doing. Just dont blow anything up mkay!?
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    Hmm, how about a quick video capture of a desktop with a voiceover for youtube or something? I could try and do that, if you think it'd be helpful. I'm planning on doing something like that for the logworks software once I release it for the SMEC/SBEC cars (which should be in a couple of weeks, I hope).
    Man, that would be perfect! I think a basic tutorial on what tables to modify (commonly), how the program you will be demo'ing works and any tidbits that are "need-to-knows". What I mean by that is, when we were adjusting my cal, just before we got going there was something MINOR that had to be done. For one table, it seemed it was very important to change the value at the far right in the table and then change it back so that the computer was aware of the value. It's hard to explain, but basically without making this minor adjustment, there was a chance that the computer would have an error and cause engine damage. That was my take on it.

I guess, if there are issues like that when copying a table or adjusting tables, that would be good to know. BTW, you could make this a series of videos. This would be great for the board, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    First, Dcal is a program for modifying a calibration, so is ChEM. I use both, because they both do some things well, but not everything, so sometimes I need to use the both on a calibration.

Ladybugg, Turbonator, and Blueberry are some common names for actual calibrations.

The modifying of cals is pretty easy and straight forward, the kicker is knowing WHAT to modify. I still havent figured that out, well, past upping the boost or changing injectors hehe

If I were you, I would get a burner, some chips, and a socketed LM installed in your car, then burn some basic (known good) cals. Once you can do that, then you can play with things a little here or there to see what the effects are. Use Chem or Dcal to mess around with all the aspects of the calibration.

IE learn by doing. Just dont blow anything up mkay!?
    Yeah, I'm not going to put a LM/PM in my car ever again. I do plan to get a burner, but for now I'm going to use something like D-cal to read the cals SOMEONE WILL BE EMAILING ME SOON.*cough* Brian *cough*

I'm also looking into a chip extender so I can mount the chip in my fuse box in the engine bay. I do plan to seal it up, so don't worry. And believe me, I can't blow my car up because it's the only one I have running!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Man, that would be perfect! I think a basic tutorial on what tables to modify (commonly), how the program you will be demo'ing works and any tidbits that are "need-to-knows". What I mean by that is, when we were adjusting my cal, just before we got going there was something MINOR that had to be done. For one table, it seemed it was very important to change the value at the far right in the table and then change it back so that the computer was aware of the value. It's hard to explain, but basically without making this minor adjustment, there was a chance that the computer would have an error and cause engine damage. That was my take on it.
    Hmmm, I'm not aware of why that would need to happen unless there's a bug in dcal or whatever program you were using. I normally do my fueling in chem so maybe I've never tripped on it. Maybe you can get Bucar or whoever it was to gaze at this thread and let me know more precisely what the issue was.

I guess, if there are issues like that when copying a table or adjusting tables, that would be good to know. BTW, you could make this a series of videos. This would be great for the board, I think.
    I was actually thinking of trying to make the videos less than 10 minutes in length each and split things up a little. It's hard to want to watch a video about this stuff for too long, and about 10 minutes of my voice is all anyone can take anyways.

I'm also looking into a chip extender so I can mount the chip in my fuse box in the engine bay. I do plan to seal it up, so don't worry. And believe me, I can't blow my car up because it's the only one I have running!
    If you're running a 87 LM based car, I wouldn't even bother. I'd just get
    a 85 or 86 lm case, remove the map sensor, and bolt it over the 87 lm. You then have a window to reach into the LM and pull the chip out without having to remove it. My CSX hasn't had the passengers side kick panel on it in 2 years .

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mcglsr2's Avatar

hey, i've recently gone down the path of the "roll your own" cals, and had a lot of the same questions you are asking (thanks go out to quite a few people that have helped me along the way!). since then, i have burned several cals, currently have a custom cal in my CSX, and it works great. i haven't gone through the process of tweaking everything - the car is getting some upgrades right now, so i'm waiting until those are there before really digging into the cal.

i've learned a few things along the way, and i'd be more then happy to share what i've learned. i'll be happy to contribute any knowledge i have, and it might be worth my time to write a step-by-step guide with pictures on what i did to get where i am.
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Sounds like it wasn't properly calculating the last slope. The last point you see in D-Cal/CheM is a 'phantom' - It's not stored in the calibration. It's only used by D-Cal to calculate the slope from the last point (2nd to last displayed point). it's possible there was some error that kept the program from calculating that slope correctly. I know it's an issue in D-Cal for the 16-bit fuel tables when scaling the X-Axis (for MAP).
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Was I supposed to email you stuff, or are you talking about Bucar? Either way I can send you what I have.

There really isn't that much which needs modification in cals. The engineers had a whole lot of hours put into making them run right so you really just need to tweak it. We probably have yours very close, and certainly closer than what you had before, but until you get a WBO2 in the car you won't be able to do all that much fine tuning IMO.

You really do just need to start playing with the cals. If you read through the ASM file you will be ahead of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Sounds like it wasn't properly calculating the last slope. The last point you see in D-Cal/CheM is a 'phantom' - It's not stored in the calibration. It's only used by D-Cal to calculate the slope from the last point (2nd to last displayed point). it's possible there was some error that kept the program from calculating that slope correctly. I know it's an issue in D-Cal for the 16-bit fuel tables when scaling the X-Axis (for MAP).
    And that may have been what it was. I just remember Brian saying, "WAIT..." and then we redid that one place and ran the car.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Was I supposed to email you stuff, or are you talking about Bucar? Either way I can send you what I have.

There really isn't that much which needs modification in cals. The engineers had a whole lot of hours put into making them run right so you really just need to tweak it. We probably have yours very close, and certainly closer than what you had before, but until you get a WBO2 in the car you won't be able to do all that much fine tuning IMO.

You really do just need to start playing with the cals. If you read through the ASM file you will be ahead of the game.
    It's Bucar that owes me some files.... I'm patiently waiting for an email...........

I do plan to do some playing around with the files when I get them. The wideband will be available when I have the funds. I thought I would be able to get something shortly, but financially I don't have the ability at this time. If I get the "in" on one from my friend I will break down and get it just so I can tune the car better. Car still needs some tweaking though. I'm looking to go 11's with 11 PSI. Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    I had a hunch that's what it was. I've only used chem to do my fueling and I've never had it do that to me. Not to mention that I usually only have to mess with pumpeff anyways.

I agree that you don't need to tweak much, but knowing what to tweak is important. Reading the ASM is good if you can comprehend it, but I think that it's *way* beyond introductory level.

Hybrid booster

I'm just gonna go ahead and say +1 for vids!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by LynX853 View Post
    I'm just gonna go ahead and say +1 for vids!
    +2

turbo addict

It is a great idea ... I can see a video KB full of valuable how to's ... not just calibrations.

Hybrid booster

And that may have been what it was. I just remember Brian saying, "WAIT..." and then we redid that one place and ran the car.

It's Bucar that owes me some files.... I'm patiently waiting for an email...........

I do plan to do some playing around with the files when I get them. The wideband will be available when I have the funds. I thought I would be able to get something shortly, but financially I don't have the ability at this time. If I get the "in" on one from my friend I will break down and get it just so I can tune the car better. Car still needs some tweaking though. I'm looking to go 11's with 11 PSI. Just kidding.
    If you can afford a $60 sensor I'll let you use my controller for a time.

I made a couple of test vids last night and the audio is good, but when converting to flash the video was getting garbled with large screen sizes. So, if I get it straightened out tonight does a vid on the basics of dcal and the files it uses a good start? I'm thinking about which files do what, how to load and save files, basics of how to read the screen, and different types of data (tables, constants, switches).

Anyone have something else they'd like to see included? Again, I'd like to focus on just the basics of *using* dcal (I'll do one for chem too). I don't want to dig too deeply into the actual cal part in this vid. I was also thinking of maybe adding some QnA afterwards, either in a thread or maybe even an update to the video.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0426 View Post
    If you can afford a $60 sensor I'll let you use my controller for a time.
    I MAY have a lead on a wideband for a steal... It's an Autometer, but the price is way too good to pass up. Not sure how the data logging is, so that may be an issue. Still researching it. Thanks for the offer though!!

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    I made a couple of test vids last night and the audio is good, but when converting to flash the video was getting garbled with large screen sizes. So, if I get it straightened out tonight does a vid on the basics of dcal and the files it uses a good start? I'm thinking about which files do what, how to load and save files, basics of how to read the screen, and different types of data (tables, constants, switches).

Anyone have something else they'd like to see included? Again, I'd like to focus on just the basics of *using* dcal (I'll do one for chem too). I don't want to dig too deeply into the actual cal part in this vid. I was also thinking of maybe adding some QnA afterwards, either in a thread or maybe even an update to the video.
    I think I can speak for a good number of people when I say, this would be great. I think a basic on how to get started is obviously needed so everyone, i.e. me, knows how to get going. Cordes, Buchar and 85daytona have all been more than willing to help, but for the board I think this would be very useful for reference.

Thanks for the work on this and taking the time to do it!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    It is a great idea ... I can see a video KB full of valuable how to's ... not just calibrations.
    +1

Ok, I tried to make one last night. Spent 15 minutes explaining dcal, then the program I was using crapped out on the .swf conversion and took my original .avi with it. Afterwards, I realized that youtube will take a higher def .avi and down sample it. So, that's what I'll be trying out when I get home tonight. I'm working on it

turbo addict

+4..I'll definatly be watching these vids if they ever come about! Keep trying!! PLEASE!!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast