Thread: 86 GLHS Blowing Fusible Link

boostaholic

86 GLHS Blowing Fusible Link

All,

My 86 GLHS has an intermittent short that is taking out the orange fusible link that powers 2 red wires. The wires go to the starter relay and the J2 splice in the harness that powers the ignition switch and about everything under the hood that doesn't have its own fusible link.

I've replaced the link with two 30A fast blow fuses in parallel, and standard running current is 15A. Let me know what you guys had that caused this link to blow. I'm guessing the power module/alternator or something stupid. Let me know what you guys think!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: 86 GLHS Blowing Fusible Link

Guessing a wire shorted out?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Guessing a wire shorted out?
    I'm guessing there's a wire with no insulation as well, but I've examined almost the entire underhood harness. I even pulled the harness connector and checked back in the corner. Next I'm going to double check the injector harness, but after that there's nothing left except for interior pieces. I might just have to start the car up and start jiggling wires and have a box of fuses handy.

boostaholic

I'll put two responses I've had elsewhere already:

Heated oxygen sensor wiring

Alternator wires up near the radiator fan

Both areas look fine. A mouse built a nest on top of my charcoal canister, so I'm looking for an area of the harness that looks particularly tasty.

turbo addict

Looks like that circuit also powers the solenoid bank on the right fender, the coil, coolant fan relay.

Does it blow the link right away when the key is turned? If so, start checking for the short to ground. If it waits until you're on the road start looking doing a wiggle test. Kinda tough to coach this over the keyboard, sorry if I'm not too clear.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

boostaholic

The problem with the short is it will only blow when I'm going down the road. I let the car idle for 45 minutes with the AC on and the link was fine. I drove 5 miles and the fuses blew. That leads me to believe I don't have any failed components, as about everything under the hood would have power with the engine running, and AC powered up. I should have some results this afternoon.

boostaholic

I put the car back together and let it idle for an hour while I moved the harness around and banged on the fuel pumps. I also drove the car around in my yard for about 10 minutes before I got bored and parked the car. Figures when I have plenty of time to work on the car it won't break! I can't even find tape that has been chewed on by mice, and all the wires are nice and flexible.

boostaholic

Just an update, I put some auto resetting 25A circuit breakers in place of the fuses so I could try taking the car to an auto-x. I put about 110 miles on the car, got to the autox, and as I pulled into the parking lot the breakers reset. 5 seconds later, the car was running again and made 11 runs on the auto-x course and drove 90 miles back home without issue. I'm thinking one of the fuel pumps might be getting stuck, but at this point I'm baffled. All I know is it only has tripped on a smooth section of road and only when driving straight.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Cool its working better but wierd it still popped... were you accelerating or in boost when it went?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

That's what's weird, I was holding a steady speed on a smooth flat road going about 45mph. I'm guessing I may have an issue with one of the fuel pumps, so I may put an inline fuse on the pumps and see if they're the culprit. I don't see how anything else could draw so much current.

Mitsu booster

Hello jckrieger and others,

First, jckrieger, did you ever resolve this problem? If so, what was the culprit which blew the fusible link?

After letting my '86 GLHS Omni languish for some years with an unresolved charging problem, I just installed a replacement power module. After the installation, the in-dash voltmeter displayed an appropriate 13+ volts for the first time in years. I shut down the car to clear out the tools before turning the car around to finish with a cooling system re-do. Half way around the cul-de-sac in front of our house, after running for perhaps 2 minutes at idle, the electrical system died with a small puff of underhood smoke (visible near the A/C compressor & alternator area of the grille, but that may be meaningless). Headlights, dome light and a few system still operate. I've discovered what sounds like the same failed orange 20-gauge fusible link (the factory Chrysler manual identifies the link as "J1 20 OR") reported by "jckrieger" originally in this thread.

I'm probably going to exchange the new replacement power module to eliminate the unlikely possibility that it's faulty and caused the problem itself. The failed fusible link has a factory molded Y-connection. One leg of the "Y" feeds fused, unswitched 12VDC+ directly to the power module. The other leg feeds (as "jckrieger" mentioned) fused 12VDC+ to the ignition switch, and thus every system that is switched by the ignition switch. Many of the systems fed by this switched circuit are independently protected at the fuse box, but many are not. Those systems/circuits that aren’t fused, and are fed by this ignition switch circuit include:
    the power module (which also gets unswitched 12VDC+ from the other fork of this fusible link)
    alternator field coil
    (4) right front shock tower vacuum solenoids
    right front shock tower diagnostic connector
    wide open throttle cutout relay

I like jckrieger’s approach of installing auto-resetting circuit breakers, since it’s a major PITA to replace a fusible link. I’ll either do likewise or install MAXI fuses, as recommended by Russ Kinze.

Any input would be welcome.

Regards,

Ellsworth (forum member since just now)
    1986 Shelby GLHS Omni #255 (bought new 1986)
    1987 Shelby GLHS Charger #384 (wife bought new 1987)

Hybrid booster

Did anyone ever resolve these problems? My 87 GLHS is doing the same thing now. Runs perfect then blows. All lights work but nothing with the ignition and no gauges. I realize this is an old thread but hopefully it will help others. Thanks for any help. We tried a 25 amp fuse and it kept blowing so we went to a 30. Still blew. Don't want to go higher.