Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SDAC-19 Repairs...

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

SDAC-19 Repairs...

Once again, the SDAC convention has to be the most best place (although inconvenient) for someone to break down and have to fix their car... here are a few fixes from SDAC-19:

larryB - V6 Minivan trans broke 60 miles from arrival, towed in, new trans to tow Sundance home

jckrieger - Oil pump and intermediate shaft in 60k mile Sirit R/T

Gaboon - Clutch pressure plate '87 Shelby Charger

Turbodave - Power steering pressure hose on '89 Shadow

Supercrackerbox - fusible link on '86 Shelby Charger

Turbo3Iroc - Shift rod on '86 GLHS

Slasky - axle - Shelby Charger

I know there were more, what else got repaired this year?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: SDAC-19 Repairs...

I broke 1 piston, but was lucky enough to have the tow dolly for the ride home.

turbo addict

I just have to say i cant hold it back any more
    LOL

boostaholic

ignition coil 60 miles from home on the way.

turbo addict

My shifter broke when I was returning with the cam seal to fix Bakers car!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thank goodness I didn't break anything. It is a great feeling watching or helping others fix their cars though. The comradery is very strong at the event.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

When I got to the motel on Friday, I parked the truck out front to go inside to register. The shifter felt really odd when I put it in Park.

I came out and moved the truck around to the parking lot. Went to put the truck in park and it the shifter wouldn't even go into neutral. Went fine into 1,2 and drive, but I couldn't get to neutral, reverse or park. Was like the linkage was hitting a stop (it was).

Not thinking I turned off the key, and soon realized what a mistake that was. I was parked on a hill, and if I let my foot off the brake the truck rolled backwards toward the motel. And since I couldn't get back to neutral to restart it, I had to sit there with my foot on the brake until help came along (parking brake broke a long time ago).

Bill Gamalski drove down with me and soon he came around and parked his truck & trailer. He got a piece of wood out of his trailer and put it behind the wheel so my truck wouldn't roll.

We looked under the hood and saw that a heat shield that used to be on the side of the lower exhaust manifold had fallen and the shift linkage was hitting it. We got a pry bar and removed the shield the rest of the way from the downpipe. Shifter worked like new the rest of the weekend.

On the way home, just north of Dayton, my brake and anti-lock warning lamps came on. When I tried to stop I didn't have any brakes till the pedal was almost on the floor. Craig found a leaking metal line on a rear brake module located on the frame above the rear axle.

It dripped constantly, and squirted fluid when pushing the brake pedal. I added brake fluid to top off the reservoir and continued home. We stopped every 40 minutes or so to top off the brake fluid. Made it home the rest of the way without incident, but I did drive quite a bit slower than I am used to.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Steve from Omaha had an issue with the factory shift rod on his GLHS. I think he fixed it with a hanger or some copper wire.

My car's logic module came undone after I opted not to bolt it back into place, thinking I was going to do more programming on the SMEC. Turns out windy roads and constant braking and accelerating will shake the plug loose.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Blue Iroc R/T's Avatar

From some pics I saw, Looks like Fleck got some new Ti Retainers installed. Not really a break down, but a nice fix!
    A lot of people worked on my son Mark's Dayton with the Stage 5 SBEC-II, but didn't get much resolved.
    Also my son wasn't able to put his car in the show because a Tie-Down Strap (a BRAND NEW 2" wide 5,000 Lbs Summit Racing Stap) S t r e a c h e d and let the front of his car ram into the front of the enclosed trailer. $2100 damage and the Insurance Co. is saying that they are charging it as COLISION. WTF, I think it should be charged as COMPREHENSIVE. Not done arguing this one yet. State Farm may loose some business if they continue that route. The $250 Dedutible for Col. doesn't bother me, it the fact that the charged accident can and probably will increase his premiums. We will have to see how this one plays out.

BTW, I got a new Short Through Shifter installed in my R/T, right on the Show Field by Jackson in about 45 minutes. Thanks Jackson! It works beautiful!
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

Tow Vehicle/Daily Driver:
    02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/ralphs_dakota_quad_cab

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Steve from Omaha had an issue with the factory shift rod on his GLHS. I think he fixed it with a hanger or some copper wire.

My car's logic module came undone after I opted not to bolt it back into place, thinking I was going to do more programming on the SMEC. Turns out windy roads and constant braking and accelerating will shake the plug loose.
    Fixed it with zip ties. Ray and Adam were the ones who fixed it. Drove 750 miles home with it like that. Worked great! Thanks guys.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Iroc R/T View Post
    From some pics I saw, Looks like Fleck got some new Ti Retainers installed. Not really a break down, but a nice fix!
    A lot of people worked on my son Mark's Dayton with the Stage 5 SBEC-II, but didn't get much resolved.
    Also my son wasn't able to put his car in the show because a Tie-Down Strap (a BRAND NEW 2" wide 5,000 Lbs Summit Racing Stap) S t r e a c h e d and let the front of his car ram into the front of the enclosed trailer. $2100 damage and the Insurance Co. is saying that they are charging it as COLISION. WTF, I think it should be charged as COMPREHENSIVE. Not done arguing this one yet. State Farm may loose some business if they continue that route. The $250 Dedutible for Col. doesn't bother me, it the fact that the charged accident can and probably will increase his premiums. We will have to see how this one plays out.

BTW, I got a new Short Through Shifter installed in my R/T, right on the Show Field by Jackson in about 45 minutes. Thanks Jackson! It works beautiful!
    My wife is a Claims Adjuster for one of the major ins companies and she said it was a collision claim as the car hit something. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bradp View Post
    My wife is a Claims Adjuster for one of the major ins companies and she said it was a collision claim as the car hit something. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    From my experience, or from friends who have had issues... hitting a deer is comprehensive... someone pounding a shopping cart into it in a parking lot is comprehensive... if it rolls down the driveway into a tree it is comprehensive.

Why is this not? Keep up the fight with them Ralph, like you said it is better to try to get it considered "comp" so that so that the "collision" does not jack his rates!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    From my experience, or from friends who have had issues... hitting a deer is comprehensive... someone pounding a shopping cart into it in a parking lot is comprehensive... if it rolls down the driveway into a tree it is comprehensive.

Why is this not? Keep up the fight with them Ralph, like you said it is better to try to get it considered "comp" so that so that the "collision" does not jack his rates!
    From what I understand they list the deer as hitting you, not you hitting the deer. I agree with what you are saying, but insurance companies have been having a rougher go of it lately, and need to rip people off to skate by.

Also add the Tim Pettijohn SRT 8 flat tire fiasco to the repairs list....

Hybrid booster

Twisted noodle swaped out a bad alternator and got his cal fixed.

turbo addict

GLHS231 -Steve had the same shifter repair done to his c'87 S that Kelly had on his '86 S.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    GLHS231 -Steve had the same shifter repair done to his c'87 S that Kelly had on his '86 S.
    What's that, zip ties? Zip ties for the win! Now to just keep them from melting at 2 inches from the manifold.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Also fixed was a Shelby Charger with a bad P.S. pressure hose at Ken's "GarageMahal"

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

About 24-26hrs into my trip home I heard a wierd clunking sound and something that sounded like a bolt coming off on some extremely rough Saskatchewan roads. I finally found a place to pull over in a small town to discover my drivers side strut nut, the one that keeps the strut in the bearing plate, had completely come off. This let the strut come out of the bearing plate and just bounce around underneath. Luckily the nut and lock washer fell into the hole where the bearing plate is and even more luckily the abuse didn't snap or bend off the adjuster tab on my konis. All I lost was the bottom washer that goes underneath the bearing plate which was what I heard hit the inner fender while I was driving. All in all it could have been much worse but I made it home.

DJ

Hybrid booster

Thanks Ken and Andy, good times!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDAC 19 025.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	273.6 KB 
ID:	15842

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast