Thread: Next generation chip converter

Hybrid booster

Arrow Next generation chip converter

Ok, I’ve been testing the next generation chip converter for the SBEC and wanted to let you guys know what will be on it and get some feed back as well. The next converter will allow the use of the electronic erase chips just like the previous, but I have added some features (as well as eliminated a hard solder I had to do previously). It will cost a bit more than the original (I’m estimating about $40, but that may come down), but I think the features make it worth while.

First I have added a PLCC socket and am working on support for Atmel PLCC chips in sizes 512, 1mb, and 2mb (there may be more compatible chips, but I’m using these to design). This means that once again we will be able to buy cheap chips that are still in production, a 512 chip is about $2.50.

Second; I have added the ability to switch between cals on larger chips (512 and up) via a switch (like a moates 2timer); this will work with both the PDIP-28 socket and the PLCC socket chips. By default only 2 cal switching will be “enabled”, but with ether switches or jumpers (not sure yet which way I’ll go) every board will have the ability to do 4 and 8 cals on larger chips. There will be the ability to switch up to 4 cals on the 1mb chip and 8 cals on the 2mb chip, but the switching is more complex so if someone wants to do 4 or 8 cals you will need to ether buy a special switch to mount in the cabin (I’ll provide a part number in the instructions) or multiple regular switches and have a very good understanding of how the on-off combinations work (will be detailed in the instructions).

Finally; I can include the ability to run the converter in a SMEC or an LM so they can use the new PLCC chips and the cal switching, but there is an issue. Unlike the SBEC; the SMEC and LM do not have enough internal room to fit the converter (actually it fits in the SMEC, but the power board cannot fit on top of it because of the socket with out leaving a good ¼ inch gap when the cover is put on). Now for ~$20 you can buy a chip extender for moates or I may be able to add a IDC connector on the board to allow the use of the moates emulation cable (~$9), but the added cost of the IDC connector my make the cost almost the same (I just don’t know until I make a separate design and see what the cost difference is).

So my questions for you guys are: Are you SMEC and LM guys at all interested in this so you can use it for the PLCC chips and cal switching? If no one thinks they would want to ether flip the bill for the chip extender or cable (if I put a IDC socket on it) then I may as well leave out the compatibility. That said; if you SMEC guys want to be able to use the new chip and cal switching would you rather pay more for the converter with an IDC connector or buy a chip extender from moates? (SMEC guys who don’t care that their case won’t close up all the way can use it with out an extender or cable.).

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Chris
    Last edited by quantum; 06-26-2009 at 04:33 PM.
    No fun cars any more :(

Hybrid booster

Re: Next generation chip converter

I just did a quick calculation on the cost of the new version (without the IDC connector) and is actually should be about the same as the original version.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

For me it all depends on if there will be cheap electronic erase chips available for the LM again. Now that the 27SF512 is not around I may look into something like you are offering.

Hybrid booster

These are the Electronic erase chips I am building the PLCC socket for:

AT29C512 (512Kb)

AT29C010A (1MB)

AT29C02070 (2MB)

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Have you thought about adapters with a 28 pin DIP on the bottom and a 32 pin PLCC on top for LM/SMEC? Depending on the type of PLCC chip, it's a matter of re-routing 1 or 2 pins from what I could gather from some of the datasheets. I've looked at a couple of adapters like the PA32-28 on this page: http://www.logicalsys.com/plcc-programming-adapter.asp . But they're like 70$ due to the zif or autoeject PLCC socket and I think some of the not connected pins would need to be re-routed for the atmel chips. Maybe even a pin header for cal switching with a jumper or remote switch. Unfortunately, I don't know what the demand would be or if it's worth the hassle.

Hybrid booster

Perhaps my post is confusing because that is exactly what this does. This allows SBEC's, SMEC's, and LM's to use ether the current 28 DIP chips or the new 32pin PLCC chips I posted (perhaps others with compatable pin outs as well). It also allows you to switch between multiple calibrations on larger chips (512-2mb) via ----pit mounted switches.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Perhaps my post is confusing because that is exactly what this does. This allows SBEC's, SMEC's, and LM's to use ether the current 28 DIP chips or the new 32pin PLCC chips I posted (perhaps others with compatable pin outs as well). It also allows you to switch between multiple calibrations on larger chips (512-2mb) via ----pit mounted switches.
    It might not be your fault I'm confused. Do the sbecs use the internally latched eeproms, or is only the sbec-II? That's the main reason I suggested something much smaller, to avoid all the extra components that aren't needed for the other ecus.

Have you given any thought to making the plcc adapter separate so it sits into the 28 pin adapter on the current and/or new board or is there not enough space in the sbec for a modular setup like that?

Ok, I just looked at the group buy thread, it's one chip for the latch (DUH!), so it's probably not worth the hassle. But the modular setup (seprate plcc-dip adapter) might still be nice for the guys who already have them.

Hybrid booster

I'm adding the PLCC socket right on the board with the DIP28 socket so you can use ether. Also I'm just placing a swtich on the board to allow switching between SBEC mode (using the latch) and SMEC, LM mode; that way the board can work in any of our ECU's. Curretly the board is looking to be aprox..3"X2.6" so it will easily fit in the SBEC. It will "fit" in a SMEC, but the socket makes it too thick for the cover to close with the power board on top so I believe I'll be adding line drivers and a IDC socket so SMEC and LM users can pickup a $9 PDIP28 cable from moates and then use the conveter outside the case of the SMEC or LM (basically, it should act like it's own chip extender).

I can't seem to find a bare plcc-dip adpater for less than 35, and none with the proper routing of signals, so 40$ is pretty good in the price arena. I'm not sure how many people will buy them as a straight plcc adapter at this point since you can still get the 27sf512's for 5$ from moates. But at some point the 27sf512s won't be available and you do get a whole lot more than just an adapter.

Hybrid booster

I could make a straight PLCC-PDIP28 adapter. I'm not sure what the cost would be, but I'll check it out.

turbo addict

Im going to start doing my own cals... So Im interested!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

im interested in the adapter chris. i was going to make my own rom switcher but if you are going to do it all in one board i may just pick up one of yours.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Sounds good to me as there isn't much out there for us SBEC guys and switchable programs would be great also.

Is there an online translator we can use for this conversation? I'm going to do a remote chip SMEC install and would like to know which remote chip thingy I should get. It will be remote mounted in a fuse block I have currently.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm just now getting into the chip programming stuff and need direction and guidance on what to buy. I have the where, now I need the what.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]