Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

  1. #1
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    224

    Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    Drive the car about 15 min and it suddenly stalls, sometimes I try to save it by hitting the gas, but it eventually will die. Not slow either, all of a sudden its off. Wait about 5 min and it is ok, drive another 10min and bang its off again. I have a fuel gauge in the car and watched this when it died, didn't seem to change, but I changed the fuel filter anyway, and it still happens. My wideband, seems to go lean when this happens. So I think all of a sudden there is no fuel.
    What could be happening? Fuel pressure looks good.
    I have no cat.
    Thanks for all input

  2. #2
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    york pa
    Posts
    1,762

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    Drive the car about 15 min and it suddenly stalls, sometimes I try to save it by hitting the gas, but it eventually will die. Not slow either, all of a sudden its off. Wait about 5 min and it is ok, drive another 10min and bang its off again. I have a fuel gauge in the car and watched this when it died, didn't seem to change, but I changed the fuel filter anyway, and it still happens. My wideband, seems to go lean when this happens. So I think all of a sudden there is no fuel.
    What could be happening? Fuel pressure looks good.
    I have no cat.
    Thanks for all input
    throwing any codes? speed distance sensor maybe?

  3. #3
    turbo addict JDAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland, United S
    Posts
    2,490

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    sounds like typical pick up plate in the distributor

  4. #4
    Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Taylorsville, Utah
    Posts
    391

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    sounds like typical pick up plate in the distributor
    +1 .. sounds like HEP problem.

  5. #5
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    224

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    Drove over to the other omni I got to get the Hep in there to try it, it has only one electrical connection, my has 2. Going to have to wait till tomorrow.
    I'll try this first then see
    Thanks

  6. #6
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Notre-Dame de L'Ile Perrot, QC
    Posts
    716

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    I say fuel pump is tired. I've had the problem you just described twice since owning these cars and it has been the fuel pump.

    Someone above mentioned the hep. Easy way to check is once the car dies, check for spark right away. If it sparks, you don't have fuel.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SoMd
    Posts
    5,893

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    Drove over to the other omni I got to get the Hep in there to try it, it has only one electrical connection, my has 2. Going to have to wait till tomorrow.
    I'll try this first then see
    Thanks
    TBI HEP is different than the turbo one.

  8. #8
    Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Abbotsford, BC
    Posts
    44,167

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    It could be the HEP, ASD relay or computer. Check to see if there is spark when it dies. Check for power at the + terminal of the coil.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

    Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

    Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

  9. #9
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Hartford CT
    Posts
    231

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    +1 on the HEP. Without a doubt a quirky part on these cars.

  10. #10
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    224

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    Well I bought a new hep, took the old one off looked at it and decided to put the old one back on, if I have the problem again I will change it with the new one. So far I drove all week no problems. So maybe it was just a connection with the Hep,
    Thanks all

  11. #11
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Spokane, Wa
    Posts
    8,977

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    sounds hep related to me. My 87 shelbyZ used to do this to a previous owner. He'd get about 5 miles from home and the car would die, wait 15 mins and it'd fire up and go another 5 miles or so. Swapped the hep and away we go. Now it might not be the hep itself but the wiring too and from the ECU which you may have fixed taking the old one out and putting it back in.

  12. #12
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Hartford CT
    Posts
    231

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    Well I bought a new hep, took the old one off looked at it and decided to put the old one back on, if I have the problem again I will change it with the new one. So far I drove all week no problems. So maybe it was just a connection with the Hep,
    Thanks all
    I did the same thing you just did. The car ran great for about 5 starts after then...

    Change the HEP out.

  13. #13
    turbo addict JDAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland, United S
    Posts
    2,490

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    hope you bought a mopar one

  14. #14
    Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SoMd
    Posts
    5,893

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    hope you bought a mopar one
    Who makes the mopar one ? Cause I know chrysler doesnt make them.


    I took my chance and ordered one from Napa today. Their Belden line is usually OEM equivelent or better.

  15. #15
    turbo addict JDAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland, United S
    Posts
    2,490

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Who makes the mopar one ? Cause I know chrysler doesnt make them.


    I took my chance and ordered one from Napa today. Their Belden line is usually OEM equivelent or better.
    wuchu talkin about willis? Got to the dealer and get one. I agree with that Napa has good parts and the belden stuff is good but you really should get a OE one, I doubt you can return the Napa one though.

  16. #16
    Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Abbotsford, BC
    Posts
    44,167

    Re: Car suddenly stalls? leave 5 min--->ok

    Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Who makes the mopar one ? Cause I know chrysler doesnt make them.


    I took my chance and ordered one from Napa today. Their Belden line is usually OEM equivelent or better.
    Not in this case. If its not a reboxed OEM item, its shat. Been there, got the badge and the tow bill from a few customers,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

    Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

    Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Similar Threads

  1. HELP!!! Car stalls during driving....
    By MopàrBCN in forum "I need help!"
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 10:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •