Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I safely run 12-13 PSI boost on my 87 Turbo1?

Hybrid booster

Question Can I safely run 12-13 PSI boost on my 87 Turbo1?

Hey guys. I see max boost shut off is 14.7 on my car. Can I turn it up to about 12 ish and be safe with 93 OCT gas? The only thing I have done is just straight piped it and CAI. Should I adjust my timming for this? and to what??

Re: Can I safely run 12-13 PSI boost on my 87 Turbo1?

Quote Originally Posted by 87yorker View Post
    Hey guys. I see max boost shut off is 14.7 on my car. Can I turn it up to about 12 ish and be safe with 93 OCT gas? The only thing I have done is just straight piped it and CAI. Should I adjust my timming for this? and to what??

I run 12-13 psi in my mini van (non-intercooled). Been doing this for about
    6 months. No problems yet. Engine has 247,000 miles on it and
    never had the head removed.

Now I will say "Do not try this at home"...these are professionals

Lol you will be fine as long as car is running good and healthy. Mileage isnt important if the motor is strong and tight.
    My dead stock 90 Shadow ES 2.5 T1 with no mods ever was for some reason hitting 14.7 Dead stock and would spike to 17psi with no cutout at all.

And the car pulled like a scalded dog in heat.. we just gapped plugs at 32 I think it was with some NGK VR/Gr4's IIRC and chevron techron 91/93.

Advancing timing your best bet is about 2' Degrees.. and with the log intake you will start stacking boost past 12/13 psi.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You should be able to do it. I wouldn't run anything more than about 12PSI without some way to monitor for knock on a log car though. Not much personal experience, I just don't like the talk of uneven flow distribution through that intake. It freaks me out.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Although, your 87 T1 should be fine on 93 octane at 12 psi, I wouldn't adjust the boost without someway of monitoring A/F ratio. Also, I would keep the ignition timing at 12 degrees advanced.

turbo addict

Get an AFPR to be safe too, that way you can crank up the fuel pressure.
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

Hybrid booster

Sweet!! thanks for the respons! It pulls good at 7 PSI I cant even emange 13 What is the Timming set at now? stock? I have my NGK plugs gaped at 32. What fuel PSI should I be running? Is it safe to run it on stock fuel PSI for now?

Sweet!! thanks for the respons! It pulls good at 7 PSI I cant even emange 13 What is the Timming set at now? stock? I have my NGK plugs gaped at 32. What fuel PSI should I be running? Is it safe to run it on stock fuel PSI for now?
    The timing should be set at 12* which is stock. You need to double check that with a timing light though, as it could be different.

Run the stock FP for now.

Bump up the boost very slowly to start.

Hybrid booster

Ok cool. And we dont need to get a custom chip burned for the PCM or get the mopar one? Also here is a picture of the engine, see the head, it looks new dont you think?

It looks like it may have had some work done to it in it's life. Of course someone may have just kept it really clean, or recently cleaned it too.

You can do some reading about custom cals in the KC, and on my site. Since you have a blow through car the best way to go would be to get an old MP LM for your car. They show up from time to time, or you could put up a want ad.

Just make sure that you use only premium gas when you start cranking up the boost. IIRC someone on here had a few pistons melt when their mom needed to borrow his car, and she put in regular...

Hybrid booster

Teach me, whats custom Cals in the KC?? and whats MP LM? I cleaned the engine bay, and the head just looks nicer than any other part. the valve cover gasket was leaking so I replaced that, and the T-Stat has RTV on it so its been done, but im going to try and track down a cooler one or drill a 180 if I have to.

OK, MP stands for Mopar Perfomance. They made performance Logic Modules for the cars. The KC is the Knowledge Center which has a ton of articles about different things. Custom cals are different calibrations which guys adjust themselves and do the same thing as the MP computers. It's all free, but unfortunately for you, there is very little support for the draw through cars which is why I suggested chasing down the MP stuff. If you want to burn your own chips etc. you can get setup to do that for under $100 these days.

Also, if you used the cork they gave you with the VC gasket it will probably leak again. I am assuming that this is still the original two piece gasket cover on there though. Anyway, run a small bead of RTV on the front and back, and use the rubber pieces on the sides. That's how it came from the factory. The same goes for the oil pan gasket if you ever need to do it.

turbo addict

If you get a Mopar Performance computer get it for an 86 T1 as it is the same as your car. You may look for some 803 injectors too just for fun.
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    OK, MP stands for Mopar Perfomance. They made performance Logic Modules for the cars. The KC is the Knowledge Center which has a ton of articles about different things. Custom cals are different calibrations which guys adjust themselves and do the same thing as the MP computers. It's all free, but unfortunately for you, there is very little support for the draw through cars which is why I suggested chasing down the MP stuff. If you want to burn your own chips etc. you can get setup to do that for under $100 these days.

Also, if you used the cork they gave you with the VC gasket it will probably leak again. I am assuming that this is still the original two piece gasket cover on there though. Anyway, run a small bead of RTV on the front and back, and use the rubber pieces on the sides. That's how it came from the factory. The same goes for the oil pan gasket if you ever need to do it.
    Ok cool. I did use the cork. but I ran alot of RTV front and back side.so far so good. So with the Custom Cals, how do I get them? I dont know much about burning my own chips, I would rather have some one else do it that knows these cars and what to do. Who should I talk to? or just go into the KC and post there? Thanks for your help.

Just go and read about it in the KC. All the files are available for free on here in the ECU tuning subsection of the electrical portion of the board. IIRC Rob has posted the .bin files for the upper and lower chips for the older stuff too, but unless you planned on converting to TII or something in the future you could probably find someone with an old MP LM for your car which they would be willing to part with for about the same price or a little more.

Hybrid booster

I dont think I will convert to TII.

I dont think I will convert to TII.
    I would probably just get a MP LM and be done with it then. It should be a safe tune with good drivability and your trans will thank you too.

Hybrid booster

And were should I look for one? so just get a mopar performance PCM then.

Hybrid booster

And what was a LM sorry lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast