Thread: Cutting out!

Hybrid booster

Cutting out!

87 shelby charger with socketed stage 2 logic

During light throttle under 3000 rpm the car cuts out periodically and it seems to be becomming more frequent.
    I checked the codes and had 15 speed sensor, 25 TPS, 53 (well it is socketed with a cutom chip and 55

I cleared the codes, checked the distributor for exess play (its good) cleaned everything with break cleaner and took it for a run.

Just as I was about to shift from first to second at light throttle, it cut out and came back on. Cruised at light throttle and felt it cut very quickly again but came back on.

I then did some hard third to fourth full pulls all the way to 7000 rpm and it felt strong.

left a stop sign with light throttle in first and it cut one more time and I took it home. I checked codes again and it had 12 (normal after battery disconnect) 53 (see above and 55 so basically no codes.

I need to figure this out but need ideas. I'm leaning towards hep but did have code 15 earlier (speed sensor) but have had one go on me once before and all it did was stall when I came to a stop periodically...

Any ideas?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Cutting out!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    87 shelby charger with socketed stage 2 logic

During light throttle under 3000 rpm the car cuts out periodically and it seems to be becomming more frequent.
    I checked the codes and had 15 speed sensor, 25 TPS, 53 (well it is socketed with a cutom chip and 55

I cleared the codes, checked the distributor for exess play (its good) cleaned everything with break cleaner and took it for a run.

Just as I was about to shift from first to second at light throttle, it cut out and came back on. Cruised at light throttle and felt it cut very quickly again but came back on.

I then did some hard third to fourth full pulls all the way to 7000 rpm and it felt strong.

left a stop sign with light throttle in first and it cut one more time and I took it home. I checked codes again and it had 12 (normal after battery disconnect) 53 (see above and 55 so basically no codes.

I need to figure this out but need ideas. I'm leaning towards hep but did have code 15 earlier (speed sensor) but have had one go on me once before and all it did was stall when I came to a stop periodically...

Any ideas?
    I have been having the same problem. At least part of it seems to be injector harness connections. Simon posted that he had a similar problem that turned out to be the SDS.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38900

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by xdig View Post
    I have been having the same problem. At least part of it seems to be injector harness connections. Simon posted that he had a similar problem that turned out to be the SDS.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38900
    I just read your whole thread, I'll check everything mentioned and see what I find.
    It may just be the sds, I did have the code prior to clearing them.

Hybrid booster

Well, I disconnected the speed sensor and took it for a ride. Everything seemed fine for about fifteen minutes other than stalling at every stop and I thought, "well that's it"

Well then it started cutting on me at light throttle again. It's just like when you hit the overboost cut out (I know you all know what I mean) other than I'm not at full throttle and not flying through the windshield. I even saw the power loss luminate but checked the codes and nothing. Not even 15 and I had the sensor unpluged.

Damnit!

My problem was similar, tried another injector harness, tps, no difference.Then I switched the power module for another one, runs alot better now.
    later Dick Westerhof

Hybrid booster

Okay so, I checked the TPS voltage sweep to see if I had any dead spots.

closed throttle its at .321 volts and it rises nicely without any dead spots until about 3/4 throttle where it's at 1.995 volts then goes dead (no reading at all until I close the throttle to about 3/4 then it comes back.

This doesn't seem normal to me, I would think that it should tell the computor where the TPS is all the way to full throttle.

Anyone know???

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    My problem was similar, tried another injector harness, tps, no difference.Then I switched the power module for another one, runs alot better now.
    When you say runs better, do you mean no cut out at all anymore?

It definitely could be the power module, it does control spark.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Is the tach going dead when this happens? If so my money is on the hep.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Is the tach going dead when this happens? If so my money is on the hep.
    To be honest, I'm not sure. I was focusing on the tach hoping it would cut on me so I'd see but then it was running fine for a while and took my eyes off it and then it cut out three times in a row which is when I saw the power loss lamp light up.

I figured the hep as well but the only one I ever needed to change would kill the car at 4500 rpm every time. it would run fine, give it gas until 4500 rpm and it was as if I turned the key off. start it up and it was fine.

Needless to say I'm leaning towards the hep but will check a few things first before changing it out as i don't have a spare and would need to buy one.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Sounds like a HEP but you did have TPS code 25 and a dead spot in the TPS range, did you swap a different one in? I seem to remember that a bad TPS can throw a SDS code and visa versa...

EDIT: also check the fusible links... My old CSX had a bunch of SDS issues (I thought) and would idle high, turned out to be a bad fusible link.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Sounds like a HEP but you did have TPS code 25 and a dead spot in the TPS range, did you swap a different one in? I seem to remember that a bad TPS can throw a SDS code and visa versa...

EDIT: also check the fusible links... My old CSX had a bunch of SDS issues (I thought) and would idle high, turned out to be a bad fusible link.

Actually, I made a mistake with code 25 which is AIS motor which seems to be working fine actually.

I'm going to verify the fusable links tomorrow morning...ish and clean all connections to the power module and run it. If it still continues, I'll buy a new hep. Hopefully Chrysler still has em??

Funny thing is, to this point, it only cuts out when its warm and has been running for a while.
    It definitely is a cut out, much like an over boost cut and the power loss light did flash. Very much the same as our cars, when stock would do when we over boost although I'm at very light throttle.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    Actually, I made a mistake with code 25 which is AIS motor which seems to be working fine actually.

I'm going to verify the fusable links tomorrow morning...ish and clean all connections to the power module and run it. If it still continues, I'll buy a new hep. Hopefully Chrysler still has em??

Funny thing is, to this point, it only cuts out when its warm and has been running for a while.
    It definitely is a cut out, much like an over boost cut and the power loss light did flash. Very much the same as our cars, when stock would do when we over boost although I'm at very light throttle.
    Mine was doing exactly the same thing and the first thing that I tried was a new HEP. I am pretty sure that you can still get them through the dealer and I would make sure to get a Mopar HEP. It wasn't the problem on my SL but it is a good idea to keep a spare in your glovebox anyway. I ended up replacing the wiring harness connector and some wiring to the injector harness as I had an intermittent connection problem that was causing the car to run really bad. I am hoping that it fixes the cut-out as well but it has been pouring rain here since I repaired the harness so I haven't been able to test it properly to determine if the intermittent cut-out is gone. I'll post results of my repair later today hopefully.

Hybrid booster

Well, I did some looking around this morning and found a fusible link that was broken at the connector or holding on by one strand at best. This is the orange one that exits the harness right by the battery and connects to the positive battery terminal.
    I repaired that, took the car for a ride and it ran well......At first.

Once the car warmed up for a while, it started bucking (cutting out) each time I left a stop in either first or second gear, around 2700 rpm using light throttle.
    I did notice the tach bouncing as it cut out so I suppose I'll try changing hep but will have to wait until tomorrow when the dealer opens.

Hybrid booster

Okay so, I changed the hep with a known good one even though it looks terrible, drove for about an hour with as many starts and stops I could and it didn't stumble or cut out once.

I hope that was it, I'll drive the car the next few days as much as possible and hopefully we're good. I think I'll buy a brand new hep this week and keep this one as a spare if all goes well.

Good deal! If the problem persist, I would also check the wires to the HEP. I had one of the wires that lost it's factory friction tape and was grounding. Probably not an issue, but never hurts to check.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Took it for another ride........Not the hep.

Left a stop sight around the corner from the house and it cut out on me three times. My daughter said "daddy, stop doing that" I'm trying baby.

Otherwise, the car runs great! Pulls like a freight train even at a mear 16 lbs boost.