Thread: Alternator Bushings?

Alternator Bushings?

Whenever I cold start my engine (1990 2.5 Turbo), I get a little bit of squeaking for a minute before it warms up. The belts are almost new, but I noticed that the bushings on the alternator are dried up and cracked. Could those bad bushings cause this squeaking, or is my belt a little loose? And how do you change those bushings?

Re: Alternator Bushings?

changin the budhings is cake, just take the long bolt out and and pop new ones in, I may have a few layin around, but I would check the tension on the belt also, which isnt hard to do either, just push up and down on it, how tight is it?

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    changin the budhings is cake, just take the long bolt out and and pop new ones in, I may have a few layin around, but I would check the tension on the belt also, which isnt hard to do either, just push up and down on it, how tight is it?
    The belt is very tight; there's almost no play in it at all.

Do I need to remove the belt to change the bushings, or can I remove one bolt at a time?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

It could be from dew on the belt if this happens in the mornings. Get some poly alt. bushings from Johnny. IIRC they are only about $10. Well worth it for a set which will last forever IMO.

I believe I have removed just the long bolt that goes through the top mounts, and slid the alt out and put the new bushings in then just slid the bolt back through. There is only one bolt on the top. , one on the bottom. taking the alt off isnt hard either.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    It could be from dew on the belt if this happens in the mornings. Get some poly alt. bushings from Johnny. IIRC they are only about $10. Well worth it for a set which will last forever IMO.
    Although my car stays in a garage, condensation (dew) could still be a possibility, since the garage is usually cool but it's humid outside. (Sometimes the Duster will get condensation on it after opening the garage door...)

Thanks for the info about the polybushings. I already checked the autoparts store, and they don't have them, so I'll try to get some from Johnny.

If it's a common block motor with the reverse rotation water pump you might want to check and see that the pulley on it is free of rust etc. I had one that sat for some time and the belt would get a lot less traction on there and cause some squealing. I kept breaking belts about every 6mo or so until I finally sanded down the pulley.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    If it's a common block motor with the reverse rotation water pump you might want to check and see that the pulley on it is free of rust etc. I had one that sat for some time and the belt would get a lot less traction on there and cause some squealing. I kept breaking belts about every 6mo or so until I finally sanded down the pulley.
    The water pump pulley looks OK. I've never broken a belt, either.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yes, bad bushings will cause a sqeaking belt. You will have to measure the bushings as there are two different sizes.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Yes, bad bushings will cause a sqeaking belt. You will have to measure the bushings as there are two different sizes.
    Yeah, I saw that, but the difference between the two sizes is measured in 16ths of inches.

Any ideas how to measure something that precise?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty_Duster View Post
    Yeah, I saw that, but the difference between the two sizes is measured in 16ths of inches.

Any ideas how to measure something that precise?
    With a good tape measure? a 1/16th is a pretty decent size.

Garrett booster

I also have a pretty annoying squeal coming from this area. The poly bushings didn't get rid of it 100% since the lower mount is close to being shot (outer edge of rubber let go along ~50% of the circumference). I'd check this one as well. FYI I heard the price is about $45(stealership only) for this lower mount so I may end up pouring some 2-part poly from mcmaster in there.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djtang View Post
    I also have a pretty annoying squeal coming from this area. The poly bushings didn't get rid of it 100% since the lower mount is close to being shot (outer edge of rubber let go along ~50% of the circumference). I'd check this one as well. FYI I heard the price is about $45(stealership only) for this lower mount so I may end up pouring some 2-part poly from mcmaster in there.
    I'm really wondering if theres a need for all that rubber being in there or if it could be welded solid with a steel plate on both sides and then fitting a polybushing with a steel sleeve insert.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

or talk to johnny @ polybushings and if enuff interest is made he will reproduce them!

turbo addict

or talk to johnny @ polybushings and if enuff interest is made he will reproduce them!
    Have made them for a long time!
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

boostaholic

How tight is everyone with the sqeeking making there belts? Cause if you overtighten it, it will pull down on the bearings in the alt. and cause that annoying sound..I was told to do the 90* bend...if it does that with little force, you are good to go...i had the same problem like everyone with that stupid noise...loosened the belt up...problem solved...and my bushings are shot too!

Do they make that large round peice that the adjuster for the ALT goes? mines ripped to crap....Its the peice that had the bolt going threw it in the middle....

Quote Originally Posted by 89ShelbyGuy View Post
    Do they make that large round peice that the adjuster for the ALT goes? mines ripped to crap....Its the peice that had the bolt going threw it in the middle....
    I don't believe that anyone is making one aftermarket. You might be able to get one from the dealer, but I have never checked.

turbo addict

Over $100 for that piece from the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    My heart!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post

Last I checked it was around $50. still way to much for something like that