Thread: Need brake help!

Hybrid booster

Need brake help!

One of the last things to fix on my omni is the brakes. The car sat for 5+ years and the fluid was black, one of the front calipers was stuck, and the master cyl "crunched" when you pushed the pedal in. So I put on both new front calipers/pads/rotors/rubber lines, replaced the rear wheel cyl, replaced the mc, and when it was all apart i blew out the lines and cleaned the rust out of the prop valve. It's all back together and I bled about 2 big bottles of fluid thru it. I adjusted the rear drums when I had them apart changing the wc. I did not replace the rear drums/shoes/hardware because they were in good condition. All I did to the prop valve was take the sensor off, the two caps on the sides, took the springs out and flushed it out with brake clean. There was a good amount of rust particles in it, but was in otherwise good shape.

Now my problem, I can't get a firm pedal! It goes strait to the floor with no pressure, you cant even pump it up any. I have been over every inch of the system and it has no leaks. I get very good flow out of each corner, and I have bleed it 2-3 times. It really has me stumped. Could the brake booster be bad? Did I fubar the prop vale by taking it apart? I really would like to put a few miles on it before SDAC, but would settle to just drive it there! Any local help would be apreciated, cold beer is waiting.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Need brake help!

If you aren't getting any resistance in the pedal and there are no leaks, the MC must be bad. A bad brake booster would just cause the pedal to be really hard.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

+1 to what Brian said. Get another MC and try it. Sounds like the cups aren't sealing.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

Changed the master out with another new unit, same problem. Started bleeding again, but this time I did a gravity bleed. I got quite a bit of air out of each wheel, still no pressure. I noticed the ds front I could not stop getting air out of it. I put 2L of fluid thru it and still was getting air! So I swaped it out with one of my old but good calipers and the air stoped. So I guess the new caliper was bad/leaking air, but still no pressure. I have now ran another 2L of fluid thru the car with no air in any of the lines, but still have no brake pedal pressure. Going to try the prop valve next. Would be nice to fix it because the car runs great!

Hybrid booster

I am dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I was sitting back while I was bleeding the system after changing the prop valve. That's when I saw it, dumb azz had the calipers upside down! How simply stupid was that? Have no idea why I missed that the other 1000 times I screwed with it. Needless to say I swaped them and bled them out and now it works! Brake light is still on but the brakes are rock hard. Thanks for all the help.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmonty View Post
    I am dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I was sitting back while I was bleeding the system after changing the prop valve. That's when I saw it, dumb azz had the calipers upside down! How simply stupid was that? Have no idea why I missed that the other 1000 times I screwed with it. Needless to say I swaped them and bled them out and now it works! Brake light is still on but the brakes are rock hard. Thanks for all the help.
    At least you found it. Your ahead of the curve compared to many I have known....lol.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....