Thread: 3" exhaust on a Lancer or SL

Hybrid booster

3" exhaust on a Lancer or SL

I just got my 3" exhaust today (Thanks Chris) I am having a hard time getting it past the rear axle. Has anyone installed this before? What did you do to make it fit? I am looking at cutting it and welding a section on but I would like to avoid if possible. It either hits the gas tank, spring, or the panhard mount.

I am close to cutting it off and making a side exit. Although I am trying not to piss off my neighbors or the local law enforcement.

Thanks
    Nate
    Shelby Lancer # 149... R.I.P.

turbo addict

Re: 3" exhaust on a Lancer or SL

loosen the tank straps off and move the tank to right side you might have to bend the corner lip over more with the weight off the back alxe slide the pipe through if it still hard undo the shock lower shock bolts and loower the alxe with a floorjack.

Hybrid booster

Man, I talked to Aries_Turbo last night that's what he said. I was sorta looking for a different answer..lol My tank strap bolts are a mess. I'm afraid to break them being so close to SDAC. Then I would be Faaacked..

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Noodle View Post
    Man, I talked to Aries_Turbo last night that's what he said. I was sorta looking for a different answer..lol My tank strap bolts are a mess. I'm afraid to break them being so close to SDAC. Then I would be Faaacked..
    That's actually a relatively easy fix. If they break you can just use some threaded rod to make some new studs and then use a nut an a washer on the underside. You will be able to see where the studs are when you pull out the bottom part of the back seat. I have had to do this to a couple cars now.

Hybrid booster

Oh no ----, I didn't even think about that. I figured there was some crafty way to fix it, but I didn't think it was going to be that easy. Thanks

Hybrid booster

Ok I got the exhaust in. I didn't have to move the gas tank. As of right now I don't hear any banging around back there. I do hear a slight thump when I go in reverse in the tunnel. We spent a lot of time trying to keep the DP away from the floor. Figured the long trip out to Cinci would have us baking inside if the pipe was too close. Overall, I am happy with the job. I made an attempt on my friends welder at welding the DP to the exhaust pipe... Not happy, looks like dog snot.

Overall I am happy with the 3"

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Glad to hear that it isn't rattling. My Shadow rattles to beat the band when it's raining. I don't know why though.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Any pics? What muffler did you use?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Pics of what you did? How it's mounted? My 3" exhaust rattles against the spring all the time. I'm thinking about cutting it again and would like to see some peoples installs if they got it to work. I have the TU kit, I have a FWD kit for my tona that I want to install but not if it's gonna rattle around like the TU kit is.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Any pics? What muffler did you use?
    Right now there is no muffler. I might put one on, but right now the noise is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Pics of what you did? How it's mounted? My 3" exhaust rattles against the spring all the time. I'm thinking about cutting it again and would like to see some peoples installs if they got it to work. I have the TU kit, I have a FWD kit for my tona that I want to install but not if it's gonna rattle around like the TU kit is.

I'll get some pics up. Basically the last section was difficult to connect all the way in the position we felt was best. It did leak a bit so I have a friend that is welding it up the rest of the way. Like I said earlier there is a thump in the tunnel when the engine jumps forward when you break or go in reverse. I might have to extend the DP a little bit. It does sit below the floor about 1". Maybe some poly mounts in additon to the bobble strut will help with that? I had to leave for Raleigh NC, so I dropped it off at his house so he could finish the job. We,ll see the finished product on Thursday night when I get home. Then is out to SDAC first thing Friday mornin.