Thread: AIS rewire?

Hybrid booster

AIS rewire?

I recently bought a used 53mm TB. The AIS that was on it doesn't use the same connector but it is a 4 wire. It also has a larger plunger the the old one. I thought I was being crafty and pulled the old plunger out and swapped it with the one that was in the 52mm TB. I put it all together and the car idles real high (2200 RPMs). the idle adj screw is all the way in the the butterfly is closed all the way. I did the trick where you disconnect the brake booster vacuum line and then the AIS connector. And still no change. I took out the AIS and pulled out the solenoid the the AIS was fully extended. I put it back in (forcing it into the orfice) and tightened it down. It worked good until I drove the car around and it started idling high again.

Does anyone know what the pin out is on the AIS? can I splice in the original AIS that was in the 52mm so it works with my stock wiring?
    Please help.
    Shelby Lancer # 149... R.I.P.

Re: AIS rewire?

What year? I can provide pin outs for the sensor when I get home, but it will be later. I have service manuals for 85, 89 and 93. Let me know, assuming someone else doesn't respond with the details.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Mine is an 87 SL. I haven't a clue what the 52 mm come out of. It is a 4 wire, same as mine. Doesn't that mean 88 or 89? Isn't there something in the t1 - t2 conversion where you need to add a wire to the AIS? I wonder if it is the same wiring just a different connector...??

Hybrid booster

Hold on I am getting some pictures. Maybe that will help.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'm still thinking you can get an AIS for a 52mm TB car with the same style connector on it. I could be wrong, but either way I would check before cutting up the wiring on a Shelby car.

Hybrid booster

Here are some pics:

These are the wires, the colors are very similar. One wire color is different the other pretty much the same and in the same position.

[IMG][/IMG]

this is the stock AIS in the 52mm

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the Original AIS that came in the 52mm

[IMG][/IMG]

And the female end of the original in the 52mm

[IMG][/IMG]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I'm still thinking you can get an AIS for a 52mm TB car with the same style connector on it. I could be wrong, but either way I would check before cutting up the wiring on a Shelby car.
    I don't know where to look Cordes. I called 2 Dodge dealerships today and wasted 30 minutes of my life that I will never get back. It's almost like they don't even want to help.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Noodle View Post
    I don't know where to look Cordes. I called 2 Dodge dealerships today and wasted 30 minutes of my life that I will never get back. It's almost like they don't even want to help.
    You should be able to go to an autozone and pick them up. Just start looking at different models and years which came with the motors which had the 52mm TB. I think that was the 3.3s?

Where did the other AIS motor come out of? That's what you really need to know, the pin out of that one. I would imagine it's very similar, especially if it's off a Dodge car, but that is what you really need to know. I can provide the 4 wire pinout for the factory one, but you'll need to know the pin out of the other. Which vehicle it came off is going to be useful. I'll get my service books and post the info tonight for the standard one. I'll be using an 89 book, which looks like will work for the connector you have.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I was going to take some pictures of the manual, but for those wires, the colors are all the book really acknowledges. It does say that the BR and VT/BK wires are paired together and the GY/RD and YL/BK wires are paired. The diagram shows a coil for each of the two pairs. The four wires to to the SMEC module at positions

• 17-BR* (* indicates tracer)
    • 18-YL/BK
    • 19-GY/RD
    • 20-VT/BK

If you can determine which of the 4 wires on the other are paired, you could probably get it connected correctly. One other question I had and that is, is the AIS motor you are trying to get work the same length as the other one? I know it fits based on what you have said, but if it doesn't sit properly, it won't ever work I would imagine. Just a thought.
    Last edited by minigts; 06-18-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Hybrid booster

Those look like the wires that came with the 52mm TB. Except #17 - BR, mine is BR/WT tracer.

I'm surprised that no one has run into this problem before.

I sent a PM to RX2MAzda to see if he knows what car it came off of.

I'll swing by NAPA and Autozone tomorrow to see if I can find anything out.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Noodle View Post
    Those look like the wires that came with the 52mm TB. Except #17 - BR, mine is BR/WT tracer.
    I'm sorry, it is BR*, which means tracer and usually white. Good luck with it!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I'm sorry, it is BR*, which means tracer and usually white. Good luck with it!

Oh I didn't even notice you wrote that up there..my bad.

After reading on MiniMopar it looks like the AIS is a 2 wire stepper motor. they are grouped together (like you said) because one set goes in one direction, and they other set goes the opposite (in and out) You probably know that, it took me a minute to say.."Oh.. no sh!t that's how that works." lol

So I guess I can put 12 volts to one set and see what it does..right. I'll have to get out my old trusty power supply/bread board and do some testing. I could use the car battery but, it looks like rain again tomorrow and me with no garage.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Twisted Noodle; 06-18-2009 at 01:00 AM.

Hybrid booster

Just found this on AllPar:

I had the Dodge 2.2 Turbo I engine with a 3000 RPM idle problem. The AIS controls the idle speed by letting air bypass the throttle plate. All it is is a valve that opens up to let additional air into the throttle body. It has a semi-circular opening, with a semi-circular shutter that opens or closes to allow air to bypass the throttle plate.

The shutter is designed to rotate 180 degrees, and then it hits a stop to keep it from rotating any further. The shutter sits inside a circular sleeve, and the sleeve is what's turned by the motor. The sleeve holds the shutter snugly enough to turn it when it's free to move, but the sleeve can continue to move when the shutter has stopped, so the motor won't burn out accidently.

Not only is the shutter designed to rotate, it is spring loaded, so it can be pressed down into the motor housing. Doing so makes a closed shutter effectively useless, because air can bypass it. I believe the spring is there to allow air bypass even if the shutter is closed, if there is enough of a pressure differential in the throttle body to force the shutter down into the housing and let air bypass it, perhaps to avoid other damage.

There is one flaw with this design -- when the shutter is depressed, it can be moved past its stops. If that happens, and the shutter then pops back up, it gets locked 180 degrees out of phase. When the computer tries to close it, it is actually opening it. It will keep trying to close it until it opens full up, and then your idle is racing at 3000 RPMs. The computer keeps trying to close the shutter, but since it's wide open, there's not enough pressure differential to force the shutter back down so it can again go past the stops into its normal position.

This is apparently what happened to mine. For all I could tell, the motor worked fine. Applying voltage to it opened and closed the shutter, only I couldn't tell that it was out of phase, opening when it should close and vice versa.

What compounded my problem was the fact that the shutter was gunked up with carbon and sticking in the sleeve. So it got stuck down and stayed there, allowing it to pass the stops. Eventually, it popped out enough to lock into an out of phase position. That's when the problem wouldn't go away. I finally figured it out when I noticed a rattle in the motor, and that the shutter was moving up and down slightly as I shook it. I was so fed up at that point that I ignored the service manual advice to the contrary, and took apart the AIS. I didn't ruin it -- it's a pretty simple design. I cleaned the parts and got the shutter to where it wasn't binding in the sleeve anymore. I then reassembled it (praying I had it in phase, which I did) and everything was fine (if it still raced, I would have taken it apart and reassembled 180 degrees around).

After "fixing" the problem, I went for a test drive. Everything was OK for a few minutes, but then the racing returned! Back to the garage where I found the following (warning -- more conjecture coming). In the top of the throttle body, there are two more ways for air to bypass the throttle plate. One is an orifice which is controlled by a set screw (idle set screw?). A while back I had apparently closed off the orifice -- some carbon gunking didn't help either. Running the engine at various speeds created the pressure differential needed (which couldn't be compensated for by the closed off orifice), and the AIS shutter passed its stops again. I backed the screw off, re-fixed the AIS, and got the engine running again. I then sprayed some carb cleaner into that orifice. No problems since then!

The second air bypass is a small hole in the side of the throttle opening just above the plate. It had some carbon buildup too, so I sprayed it out as well. (Yes, I know, I should use throttle body cleaner. I just didn't have any handy.)
    This might be bingo! I may have messed up my AIS when I changed the plungers. I'll look at it tomorrow.

I believe you have to use the AIS that comes on the throttle body since the plunger is bigger on the 52mm TB. The TPS however can change.

Hybrid booster

As soon as I can find a pin out for my Stock AIS on my 87 SL. Then I am probably going to rewire it to accept the new AIS.

If they are both Chrysler units, I would guarantee they have the same pinouts from left to right. I guess I understand what you are saying.