Thread: GLHS engine grounding point

Hybrid booster

Wink GLHS engine grounding point

Anyone know the proper bolt hole on the back of the engine where the ground cable (from the battery) was supposed to attach? Also, does the ground wire from the power module attach to the same bolt?

The car had a clutch job before I ever worked on it (ask me about the three different styles of bolts 'goober' put back on the pressure-plate) and I don't believe the wires were put back in the right spots.

Having had worked with audio in the past, and some industrial controls, I would think the power module ground would go attach to the same bolt as the (-) battery cable, but it's too short to reach where the (-) wire is attached.

If anyone has a GLHS that can advise on this I'd appreciate--

Thanks--

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: GLHS engine grounding point

The thick black cable from the battery attaches at the head on the front drivers side.

I'm not sure where the PM ground goes. There is a ground right behind the battery tray attached to the body.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Yes, negative ground cables from battery to vehicle front driver side of head. The small (maybe 16?) gage wire in the starter sub harness grounds to the top of the trans with a 15mm hex bolt that goes into the hole used to hoist the trans.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I'm not sure where the ground for the PM links to, but it clusters to a set of grounds, I believe. It's been a while since I re-wired my car around that area. For some reason, it seems like it runs to the injectors, which are then grounded there at the intake and THAT to the firewall with a ground strip. I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain it clusters with other grounds and not directly like the battery.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Thanks--the battery cable is probably in the right spot, but the small wire from the PM is the one that looks wrong to me, and it's pulled tight. It's presently attached to one of the lower bell-housing bolts on the left (front facing) side of the engine/tranny.

I've had some other minor grounding issues with the car--intermittent rear hatch release and wiper motor--and I'm in there elbow deep right now replacing alternator bushings, so I thought I'd ask.

Hmmm,.... there is one that goes there as well. I'd have to check my service manuals on that and confirm which wire that is. I thought that wire was from the solenoid on the starter, but maybe it does go to the PM. Which year car is this for, your 87 GLHS? If someone else doesn't post beforehand, I will post an image of the wiring diagrams book tonight. I only have 85, 89 and 93 btw, but I think the 85 would have the correct diagram.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Yes, 87 GLHS. The wire appears to run down from the PM.

My 85 Service Manual shows the two black wires at the 9 and 10 positions (14BK) going to a 6 pin connector that connects to the ground at the fuel rail. The connect before this with a 14LB/RD wire coming from the LM Blue connector, positions 7 and 8. These 2 wires connect prior to connecting with the two black wires coming from the power module. The only other thing that goes with the 14LB/RD wires is they go to a diagnostic connector, which I believe on that car is located by the solenoids. There is one more wire that connects at the 6 pin connector at the fuel rail and that is a 18BK/LB wire coming from the power module, position 21.

If you need the L body wiring diagrams from the 85 version, just let me know. It takes some time to get all the pictures, zip the files and post it to the web, so I'm not going to do it unless it's needed. But just let me know and I can get it done.