Thread: Hairy Glass hood?

Hairy Glass hood?

Has anyone purchased any body panels from Hairy Glass? I'm curious how exact the fit is of their products. I need a new hood and want to do a nostalga Mopar lift off style, utilizing their lightweight hood. Anyone have any experince with them?

Not to mention- they have a hatch too. I wonder how well it seals?

Aaron Miller

Hybrid booster

Re: Hairy Glass hood?

You might want to call them, I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that their hoods/front ends are stretched 6" for use on a rear wheel conversion car.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Yeah I know the Daytona front end parts are stretched the 6". But not sure about the other parts.

Edit:
    Just checked, it doesn't mention any ext amount for Omni/Charger
    http://www.hairyglass.com/omni.html
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Looks as though they're not stretched in that picture, and I hadn't seen a picture of it yet... looks like it would work very nicely! I'm actually very excited about this. Not only will it weigh a lot less but I can hack it up a little for my new intake setup.

Aaron Miller

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I bet that hatch would save you a ton of weight Aaron. As most all of us know, the hatch can be a real doozie to get open when the struts are shot and you are holding what you need to put in the back.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

^^ So true, my struts are great, but still a pain to open when I have something already in my hands. Maybe when I get a second vehicle and can make the Daytona mainly track oriented I will try out the hatch
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

turbo addict

I took the glass out of my hatch when I painted my car and it amazed me how light it was. I'd say that the glass is about 85% of the weight. I really can't see a fiberglass hatch making that much of a difference. If you really want to lose weitht in the hatch, get some lexan.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592
    I took the glass out of my hatch when I painted my car and it amazed me how light it was. I'd say that the glass is about 85% of the weight. I really can't see a fiberglass hatch making that much of a difference. If you really want to lose weitht in the hatch, get some lexan.
    That is an excellent point. Especially in the Chargers. That is one big piece of glass.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes
    That is an excellent point. Especially in the Chargers. That is one big piece of glass.
    Some of the front ends are +6
    some are standard
    I know Stephan's frontend was/is a Hairyglass unit
    You might want to try and contact him

Quote Originally Posted by cordes
    i have an extra hatch and have been thinking about making lexan window in it for about a year, never did though. Thats a ton of wieght there.bettween that window and the lovers on my shelby Z its gotta be 125lbs+. I like the look of the louvers, so i will proly make a lexan light-weight hatch, and keep the other with louvers for shows and stuff.

Lexan rear glass will be good enough, seeing as how this is still a daily driver and the rear hatch needs to seal properly like a stock piece does- or at least mine does.

The hood on the other hand- that's doable with some dzus fasteners or a 4 point hood pin setup.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Aaron Miller

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I talked to the folks at HG a couple years ago. They said that the Daytona hoods were +6" but you could cut them if needed.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Lexan is the way to go. The glass on both omnis and Chargers a slight curvature. Pull the glass, lay the lexan over it and clamp the edges with C-clamps or other type then carefully heat the lex with a heat gun until its mallable. Let air cool, trim around the glass and voila! Perfect fit. Did this in my Omni. Works great! On a Charger I'd keep the steel hatch as it lends some structrual rigidity. And always remember to install keepers on Lexan!
    Last edited by csteffee; 04-27-2006 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Additional Info