Thread: The Ostrich OWNS/Tuning ?'s

Hybrid booster

The Ostrich OWNS/Tuning ?'s

Well I just hooked up my ostrich today. This thing is so sweet. I used Robs turbonator cal and scaled it for +40s. OMG the car runs awesome. I'm probably getting crappy fuel mileage now with a stoich cruising mixture but I love the idle and the driveability. I think the fan tables are messed up though. You can open the same cal in D-cal and Chem2 and they display different values. Maybe somebody can explain that to me. Anywho thanks to everyone who has contributed to the cal projects. Next thing I'm going to do is tune the full throttle somemore which probably won't take long at all with the ostrich. Net step e85 tune

So after some intense reading it sounds like adjusting cruise mixture is quit difficult. Has anyone found an efficient way to do it with d-cal or chem2? I'd rather not have to use my analog output of the LC-1

Thanks, Chris

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: The Ostrich OWNS/Tuning ?'s

Search my name, I went thru this 6 months ago,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I haven't had a problem with the fan differences between the two. Someone at SDAC last year said he thought they were both technically right in the way they label that table, but it was a little above my head as to how or why that was the case.

You can mess with the O2 cell kicks to get the cruise at a higher AFR, but you don't want to go too high anyway.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Has anyone really realized substantial MPG gains with leaning out the cruise mixture? My car is a weekend only affair, but it still gets like 25 mpg on average and toggles on the highway. If I just drove it around (read: not push 20 PSI at any available opporutnity) I'd bet my milage would be near 28 or 29 like my DD altima gets.

turbo addict

I gained 4-6 city and 10+ highway leaning out the idle/cruise with my LC-1 and tuning the ECU to ignore it as soon as I hit boost. I lost all my gains after putting on my ported head, big intake, and tube header, it seams like. But I'm still at 28 city on the new setup. I haven't taken a long trip to see what my highway MPG is.

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    Has anyone really realized substantial MPG gains with leaning out the cruise mixture? My car is a weekend only affair, but it still gets like 25 mpg on average and toggles on the highway. If I just drove it around (read: not push 20 PSI at any available opporutnity) I'd bet my milage would be near 28 or 29 like my DD altima gets.
    I haven't noticed any gains from running it lean. I have noticed gains from upping the timing in vac though.

Hybrid booster

Ya Simon I read through that thread. I never really found a straight answer. Something about the o2 ramp up. What is the actual table name in D-cal. I'm on turbonator v8. I see something like high and low limit o2 something or other. How much timing is safe to run when in vac. I haven't played with the timing table at all yet. Also is there anyway to check to make sure the CEL knock light is working. My AFRs are great and I don't see it coming on but I'm worried once I start leaning it out more whether it will come on or not.

Oh the fan thing is definitely weird I can open the same cal in both programs and both display different values. Maybe one is actual temperature and one is a value. I don't know.

With my stage 5 cal running ~16-18s on the highway I got like 28mpg highway and 21ish city.
    Thanks guys, Chris

If you want to check the cel knock light just take it up to like 2500 rpm and hit the intake manifold with a hammer (not hard, lol). If the cel comes on, it's OK. There's a cutoff rpm for knock check

The o2 stuff is all setup with high/low constants and a set of 'bins', there really isn't a table. Geoff Allan had written a pretty good explanation in the older blueberry cal ASM about how it worked.

If the numbers for the fan in one of the programs have letters in them, like A1 or something, it's because the definition is missing in the .tbl/calx file. Otherwise, if the definitions are the same, the value should appear reasonably close in the 2 programs (like rounding error close).

Garrett booster

its pretty darn cool,

I tried the 90mp cal.... > rich like a bitc + stayed rev'd @3000, then flashed in the 90 593 and then purred like a kitten.

best part is, if I have any trouble I just search simons posts for the answer.

If you want to check the cel knock light just take it up to like 2500 rpm and hit the intake manifold with a hammer (not hard, lol). If the cel comes on, it's OK. There's a cutoff rpm for knock check

The o2 stuff is all setup with high/low constants and a set of 'bins', there really isn't a table. Geoff Allan had written a pretty good explanation in the older blueberry cal ASM about how it worked.

If the numbers for the fan in one of the programs have letters in them, like A1 or something, it's because the definition is missing in the .tbl/calx file. Otherwise, if the definitions are the same, the value should appear reasonably close in the 2 programs (like rounding error close).
    The guys at the SDAC tech session last year said to run through the RPM range noting the knock volts with a scanner every 500RPM, add 10% to it and base your table off that. Sounds like the way to go if you have a scanner. Otherwise, I wouldn't mess with the table.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 85daytona View Post

So after some intense reading it sounds like adjusting cruise mixture is quit difficult. Has anyone found an efficient way to do it with d-cal or chem2? I'd rather not have to use my analog output of the LC-1

Thanks, Chris
    uhh don't you have the analog output of the LC-1 already running the car anyway?

Hybrid booster

Na I don't. I just have my wideband readings on my xd-16 to look at. The LC-1 isn't telling the computer anything. Stock o2 is still there talking to the computer as usual.

I'll read through that blueberry asm when I get time. Maybe it would be simpler to just use the LC-1 to send my own readings lol. When I get more time maybe I'll mess with that.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    The guys at the SDAC tech session last year said to run through the RPM range noting the knock volts with a scanner every 500RPM, add 10% to it and base your table off that. Sounds like the way to go if you have a scanner. Otherwise, I wouldn't mess with the table.
    I'm not suggesting that you tune the knock volts table like that. Please: no one attempt to tune your knock volts table with a hammer. I'm suggesting that method only to check that it's actually picking up knock and lighting the CEL. I do it evey once and a while to make sure my knock sensor is still functioning, since they like to fall apart when you take them out.

Also, the last part of the sentence got cut off in my previous post. The reason you have to take the car off idle is that there's a minimum RPM (I think it's like 1200) for the knock routine to kick in so it's not looking for knock at idle.
    Last edited by risen; 06-16-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: cut off sentence

turbo addict

That's all I do, the LC-1 tells the ECU what to run the car at (your fuel curves have to be within 24.7% of that) then match the part throttle curve to the WOT curve where I want it to start ignoring the O2.

I'm not suggesting that you tune the knock volts table like that. Please: no one attempt to tune your knock volts table with a hammer. I'm suggesting that method only to check that it's actually picking up knock and lighting the CEL. I do it evey once and a while to make sure my knock sensor is still functioning, since they like to fall apart when you take them out.
    I see now. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I see now. Thanks for clarifying.
    No problem. I just noticed that my sentence got cut off in that post, sorry for the confusion.