Thread: Rear Disc E-brake shoe adjustment

Garrett booster

Rear Disc E-brake shoe adjustment

I have a quick question.

Have 89 Shadow with solid rear disc brakes. The e-brake shoes are in the hat of the rotor. Pulled rotors to repack the rear wheel bearings.

Put the rotors back on, notice a little drag on the e-brake shoes, nothing serious just a slight rub at 1 or 2 points as you spin by hand. I can back them off but then the e-brake peddle goes way down.

The factory manual isnt very specific on the adjustment.

Should there be any contact with the shoes and rotor hat, note it doesnt drag all the way, just slight contact at a point or two as you spin it, very slight just you can hear it. Also the rotors are good, I actually cleaned them up at work with a sand blaster to get rid of any rust on em so the hat area is nice and clean.

Re: Rear Disc E-brake shoe adjustment

look under the passenger side of the car. you will see a threaded rod hooked into the frame rail. tightening the nut will tighten the e-brake.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by inmyshadow View Post
    look under the passenger side of the car. you will see a threaded rod hooked into the frame rail. tightening the nut will tighten the e-brake.
    I know that, I just want to get the shoes in the correct position with the starwheel before I tighten the cable adjuster. Not sure if any drag should be present when spining the rotor by hand.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

It's archaic by design.... you will always have some sort of rubbing when getting it close. You may not like to hear it, but the slight rubbing: "she'll wear in"

Unless it's really bad Mike, I wouldn't worry about it. Even disc brake pads rub...

BTW... my and my GF passed you on the Bath bridge a few weekends ago in your Shadow. We were on the way to Pemaquid Point.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    It's archaic by design.... you will always have some sort of rubbing when getting it close. You may not like to hear it, but the slight rubbing: "she'll wear in"

Unless it's really bad Mike, I wouldn't worry about it. Even disc brake pads rub...

BTW... my and my GF passed you on the Bath bridge a few weekends ago in your Shadow. We were on the way to Pemaquid Point.
    OK sounds good, I just wanted to be reassured that I wasnt going to screw them up. I did back themoff a few clicks more and it eliminated it. But if the pedal is too low I'll rachet them a little tighter.

So you have a new lady friend, good for you. What you doing down Pemaquid, checking out the lighthouse?? I took the Durango out of moth balls last weekend and we too a ride down to Bristol last Sat, big evening

Garrett booster

Oh

Seems like C5 Vettes have a similiar set up with the shoes in the hat of the rotor and from the factory they dont hold too well and here is link I found for one person who adjust his shoes to correct it.

http://www.queencitycorvette.com/Tec...Adjustment.htm