Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse Ate My GLH !!!!!

Mouse Ate My GLH !!!!!

Hi
    Just discovered this site. I am the original owner of my 1985 GLH Turbo. It's been off of the road for a few years now since I moved out to the farmland of Pa.
    The field mice out here have infested my car and made quite a mess...I'm going to have to redo a lot of the interior due to urine smell.
    I would take the car out on the road to give it a good flogging and evict the critters, until they discovered how to make the car inert.....they ate the wiring off of the fuel sender/fuel pump!

All I am left with is a big rubber grommet in the floor with 2 sets of wires hanging down: a gray wire and a green wire, then a blue wire, another gray wire and another green wire. The plug on the fuel tank has a blue, a gray and a green wire coming out of it. On the ground under the car was a 2 prong plug with a gray and a green wire coming out. The odd thing is that plugged into this was a 2 prong dead ender isolator plug (I tested ...no continuity between those 2 wires. The factory manual shows these were originally supposed to go to ground maybe?)
    The manual has no pictures of how these wires were hooked together and plugged in. I want to make a new little harness to splice to the wires coming out of the floor grommet.....anyone have any pictures? My car may be the last unmodified GLH Turbo left ...down to the stock computer in it! This will be a restoration so I want to recreate what the mice ate.

ps- my car had the turbo fuel system recall from Chrysler done to it, and it has both in-tank and external fuel pumps (newly replaced with Mopar units) .

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Mouse Ate My GLH !!!!!

Welcome to the site. What manual are you using? I have the 86' factory service manuals which I can scan and post pics of if you need me to.

Thanks for the welcome! I usually inhabit the C Body and 50's Finned Chrysler sites, but real interested in this site!
    All I have for the 85 Omni is 2 Chilton's manuals (large and small) and the black Factory Wiring manual (the vendor I bought it from didn't have the other 4 books in the set...)
    The wiring schematic says nothing about the isolator plug, and I really want to recreate what was there, so I need a pic (no one else around here with a GLH....just farm tractors!)

I can try to take some pics of my plug when I am out in the garage next. There isn't much left on my car which is factory and in good condition though.

Ok thanks anything will help. I know there is a piece of cloth tubing obscuring the wires somewhat....maybe just a drawn schematic of what it looks like under there if taking pics is too hard.

The pics shouldn't be too hard for me. You deciphering what the mess in the pic is may be a different matter.

I'll have help....

maybe it wasn't mice after all.....

You will fit in well here.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

1st off, what part of PA are you from (I'm guessing lancaster)
    You'd be suprised how many of us are floating around out here

your blue wire should be for the sending unit fuel level
    the 2 greys are the powers and the 2 greens are the grounds
    Do you still have both pumps? If the 3 wire should go into the gas tank
    the another 2 wire is for the frame mounted booster pump, if the 2 wire has the "isolator" connector on it then the frame pump should've been removed and the one in the tank upgraded

This is a great site to be on
    for locals to hang with ,
    eastern-pa check out dv-sdac.org
    york/gettsburg sv-td.com (site down for upgrades)
    pittsburg www.swpa-sdac.com
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

plus I've got an almost complete red omni interior too if you need one
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09

Wow....how did you know mine has a red interior?

Well, chalk it up to trying to work at night in a thunderstorm, but I now see that what I thought was another pump was in fact the fuel filter ( I haven't been under that car for at least 5 years....). That means the car did have it's upgraded pump put in. So, does that mean the 3 wires together can get hooked up to the pump and forget the other green and gray wires? Well, I mean put the isolator back on those 2? (I am a nut for originality) Or do they need to be attached to each other to complete another circuit I can't see yet?
    I guess I still need those pictures after all...

BTW I'm up here in Northampton county.....8 minutes from the NJ border, where all the bad drivers from NY, NJ, and Pa all converge!

Quote Originally Posted by stitcherbob View Post
    Wow....how did you know mine has a red interior?

Well, chalk it up to trying to work at night in a thunderstorm, but I now see that what I thought was another pump was in fact the fuel filter ( I haven't been under that car for at least 5 years....). That means the car did have it's upgraded pump put in. So, does that mean the 3 wires together can get hooked up to the pump and forget the other green and gray wires? Well, I mean put the isolator back on those 2? (I am a nut for originality) Or do they need to be attached to each other to complete another circuit I can't see yet?
    I guess I still need those pictures after all...

BTW I'm up here in Northampton county.....8 minutes from the NJ border, where all the bad drivers from NY, NJ, and Pa all converge!

Yes you can put the rubber plug back on
    that just kept the dirt out of it while it wasn't used
    put the 3 wires back to the pump and you'll be in good shape

I'm in Hellertown,Pa right of 412 and I-78 in Northampton
    I can get to Jersey in 7 minutes with the diesel towing my omni
    Hit me up if you need some parts or help 610-570-4711
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09

Well today I got to see the job in the light. After struggling to solder the fuel tank plug harness back to the wires coming through the the floor (the mice left me less than 2 1/2" of wire to work with in an area not sized for a human hand) and burning my fingers (I hate overhead soldering ) I got the wiring done. Then, hook up the battery and turn the key- pump worked! Then go to start and....nothing....not even a click.
    Check and re-check the work I did....still nothing. So I went over the engine compartment looking for more chewed wires. I see a ground on the trans top bolt for the neutral safety switch hanging in the breeze. Rip out the air box (full of mouse nest) and mend that wire....that was it! It fired and settled into a smooth idle that belied the year+ that the motor sat dormant. What a relief. Then the rear brake line or hose broke....

Brakes or no brakes, I still had to take a blast down the street...hey I still had parking brake!

Now the cleanup begins....carpets have to come out, headliner is hanging, radio doesn't work because it looks like mouse piss ran down the face of it....

Must have been some mutant mice to know just which wires to eat to keep me from starting my car....
    If anyone in Eastern Pa sees a small mushroom cloud that's just me taking care of the mice

Thanks for the help and the quick responses guys!

Last edited by stitcherbob; 06-15-2009 at 12:33 AM.

I'm glad to hear you have it working properly now. Good luck on the clean up. I know mice are no fun at all.

Hybrid booster

Nice GLH! There were mice in my GLHS at some point. I completely gutted the car and scrubbed everything. You'll probably want to throw away all the insulation and spray some paint over the sheet metal after you clean it.

Since you have red int you can probably just replace everything rather than try to clean it. I took the heater box and ductwork etc out and filled my kids baby pool with biz and let the parts soak in it.

Purple cleaner works good on the poop/pee crud. I used some strong disinfectant from work but I think there are some enzyme type cleaners that will work on the smell. Good luck!

I hear you about the mice. I have an 85 shelby and had to gut out the interior because the mouse got into everything and you could not get rid of the smell out of the carpets on the sides.

I know I'm throwing away my carpet because years ago the steering rack puked a steering shaft seal and pumped oil up into the column boot and down under my carpet (at least the floors won't ever rot!). The oil was/is so bad that I put a Rubbermaid mat down just so my feet had some grip when driving.
    The leak may have stopped when I put Lucas in the system, but I never got around to fixing it for good (I put 179,000 miles on a 2000 Neon ES for the last couple years while my other cars sit)....maybe someone has a easy fix for that seal? The rack works great so I don't want to remove it if I don't have to.

The mice may be gone now that I can start and move the car. I bought a gallon of this stuff: http://www.deerout.com/critter/ off of their website and sprayed it on the tires of all the cars here.

This is another alternative for cars parked outside:

http://www.hastingsreserve.org/Mammals/MiceInCars.html

As far as the interior, I am going to make all new upholstery (I am a antique car restorer and upholsterer) as soon as I can find some of the original red corded cloth for the inserts. There are 2 companies I deal with for old NOS materials, maybe they have some. There was a re-make of the cloth but it wasn't the same....
    Here is my latest project for a customer- a 1970 Fury Gran Coupe (the paisley vinyl is from one of those companies)

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

man thats beautiful!

good luck on the cleanup. then what you gonna do? upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Thanks!
    I am going to restore the GLH to stock....it was my first new car and probably the only one left in stock condition (well, I did put KYB struts in it....and Falken tires)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast