Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any accurate way to test for excessive blow by?

turbo addict

Re: Any accurate way to test for excessive blow by?

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    Turned the boost up to about 14 PSI and drove it normally.......which is beating the tar out of it.
    thats exactly my plans as well. did you use synthetic or regular for the break in though

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    thats exactly my plans as well. did you use synthetic or regular for the break in though
    Regular oil. The interesting thing is that I melted all 4 pistons last summer so I honed the cylinders and installed new venolias and rings. 2 of the cylinders had some dings and scrapes in the walls and I questioned whether or not the rings would seal......well, this isnt one of those cylinders. This one was in good shape. The only thing I can think of is that I didnt do as good of a job honing it because I assumed it was in good shape. Or the rings got knicked going in or something.

turbo addict

maybe the cylinder bore is ovaled out?

Hybrid booster

Well, looks like i may be giving that cylinder another re-ring before SDAC. Crap. Compression is down to 105 and there is a considerable more leakage than the other 3.

Sounds like a party to me! I'll bring the booze. Gotta git your game face on for SDAC.

Actually I have to try to fit in doing a full exhaust for the Lancer before I leave for Raleigh. This week will be my absolute last chance to get anything done on my car AND finish my "Honey Do" list. I fly out on Sunday, fly back on Thursday night, land at 11:22pm and then probably meet up with BB Friday morning. Hectic...
    Shelby Lancer # 149... R.I.P.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

+1...

what about measuring the bore @ top and bottom?? maybe theres a taper?

were the rings installed correctly?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Noodle View Post
    Hectic...
    Yes, its this way every year before SDAC for me. Just craziness for the two weeks before.

Its possible the cylinder is out of whack, but not probable. The motor has very few miles on it, even though its been apart like 10 million times. I would be willing to bet its got less than 5000 miles on it since its original rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post

were the rings installed correctly?
    Well, I certainly didnt put them in there incorrectly on purpose So....if they are not right, ill find out when I go in.

turbo addict

How fast would you expect a new set of rings to seat? Should it be pretty quick? I got it all back together, fired it up, let it run while I ironed out some issues, and then took it out for a 10 mile trip with a good 6-7 full throttle, 3rd and 4th gear roll ons and then heavy vacuum. The compression is better than before, but still not good....about 112 PSI vs. 125-130 in all the other cylinders. My plan is to run it for a few days here and see if the compression comes up further. Any input on anything else I should be doing?

turbo addict

How fast would you expect a new set of rings to seat? Should it be pretty quick? I got it all back together, fired it up, let it run while I ironed out some issues, and then took it out for a 10 mile trip with a good 6-7 full throttle, 3rd and 4th gear roll ons and then heavy vacuum. The compression is better than before, but still not good....about 112 PSI vs. 125-130 in all the other cylinders. My plan is to run it for a few days here and see if the compression comes up further. Any input on anything else I should be doing?
    did you take measurments of the cylinder to see if its out of round?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i wonder how the valves are?

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post

brian
    +1 but i dont know as much about testing them with the head on

turbo addict

did you take measurments of the cylinder to see if its out of round?
    Didnt have the tools. Even if it measured out of round, I would have put it together anyways. Im not rebuilding the thing this year. Cant.

When I tested compression before, I put oil in the cylinder and compression came up, so that lead me to believe its rings.

brian
    So, I take it you guys think the rings should have seated immediately, huh? Either way, I think im bringing it to SDAC. Im gonna run it. Worse case, the compression gets worse and I gotta tear it down and rebuild it. Or I totally grenade it by running too much boost and I gotta rebuild it anyways, right?

just dont trash the new pistons.

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

just dont trash the new pistons.
    Well, im hoping they arent trashed. I took it out tonight and gave it a good thrashing hoping that I could seat the rings. It didnt work out. I came back fogging for mosquitos. Looks like the CSX is parked for an indefinate amount of time. Im broke, so its sitting.

Looks like the Charger will make its track debut in Cinci!

man that car is killing you

you bringing slicks?

Brian

Hybrid booster

Out of curiousity, what is this brakekleen method that you guys mentioned above?

Hybrid booster

sorry for you that the csx motor isn't working out now..

btw, i'd be interested in that brakekleen method as well

if a ring isnt seating, spray brakekleen in there to wash away the oil and crank the motor over so the ring seats alot faster. its a little risky but it can work to seat a fussy ring. you should change the oil afterwards though.

Brian

turbo addict

You know ... Brian might be on to something. Did you look the head over when you had it off .. first time, second, third? If it got hot enough to melt the pistons maybe you dropped a guide? ... dislodged a seat? Heck, could be a piece of piston welded to a valve holding it open.

Had a comp test show a down hole one time ... didn't feel like dragging the air compressor over ... pulled the VC off and rapped on the valves a bit just to be sure. Retested and the hole came back. Gary's right though, a leakdown is more thorough. I made a simple fitting that a guy can use just for troubleshooting leaks. A drilled out spark plug, short piece of 1/2" copper tubing (soldered into the hollowed spark plug) , a length of 5/8" hose and a fitting for the air chuck.

Screw this into a cylinder when it's at it's TDC and connect it to an air compressor. Check for leaks in the intake, exhaust, radiator or crankcase.
    Heh, a nice thing would be an attachment that replaces the oil cap when testing. It would have a tube with a ball in it. Could tell a guy how bad a cylinders rings were depending on how high the ball rose.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

if a ring isnt seating, spray brakekleen in there to wash away the oil and crank the motor over so the ring seats alot faster. its a little risky but it can work to seat a fussy ring. you should change the oil afterwards though.

Brian
    Why is it necessary to change to oil? Doesn't the Brakekleen evaporate?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

brakekleen destroys oil's ability to lubricate. even if it evaporates, the oil is still toast.

Brian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast