Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any accurate way to test for excessive blow by?

turbo addict

Any accurate way to test for excessive blow by?

I think the blow by on my CSX is pretty bad. Im getting oil coming out of the breather catch can filter......however, I open the drain and there isnt any collecting at the bottom, so it might just be the way the thing is set up. Is there a good way to test how much blow by the engine is producing and determine if its excessive? Car runs strong, it just seems to be dumping more oil than usual out the breather.

Also, what are thoughts on 20W50 Mobil 1 oil to minimize the amount of blow by?

Re: Any accurate way to test for excessive blow by?

Leakdown test.

I guess you could rig up a gauge to measure crankcase pressure, a leakdown test will bo much more accurate. 2% leakge is excellent, 10% not so good =(

Guy

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by guyd_15 View Post
    Leakdown test.

I guess you could rig up a gauge to measure crankcase pressure, a leakdown test will bo much more accurate. 2% leakge is excellent, 10% not so good =(

Guy
    Oh yea. DUH! Ill get on that next week.

turbo addict

even a compression test will show sometimes .

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    even a compression test will show sometimes .
    I don't even bother doing compression tests now- I had one compression test come up fine and then when leakdown tested showed one hole down 50%!!

Epic Fail

Working on clearing the decks.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    I don't even bother doing compression tests now- I had one compression test come up fine and then when leakdown tested showed one hole down 50%!!

Epic Fail
    already have the spark plugs out nso it takes two seconds. mine did work it was 105 across the board lol not to bad for 180 thousand i guess

turbo addict

105 is really bottom of the barrel.......I guess for 180k, its not horrible, but they should be up over 115-120 at the lower end of "good". I new engine will be 135+ with a swirl head.

Im gonna do the leak down tomorrow. Hopefully, its good. I have a feeling #1 is low b/c the compression is at 114 while the rest of the cylinders are at 125. Unless the leakdown is horrible, im just gonna run it for a while. I just re-ringed the thing and for whatever reason that #1 isnt seating very well.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Make sure its warm also.

You can rig a hose outside off the PCV system so you can see how much smoke is coming out,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    105 is really bottom of the barrel.......I guess for 180k, its not horrible, but they should be up over 115-120 at the lower end of "good". I new engine will be 135+ with a swirl head.

Im gonna do the leak down tomorrow. Hopefully, its good. I have a feeling #1 is low b/c the compression is at 114 while the rest of the cylinders are at 125. Unless the leakdown is horrible, im just gonna run it for a while. I just re-ringed the thing and for whatever reason that #1 isnt seating very well.
    well a compression test like that is on the borderline of needing to be tore down since a difference of twenty between cylinders is a big deal and you are very close.

Are those numbers for compression hot or cold? Cold or having sat for a few hours, mine is 120-125 on the compression test. I'm going to look into getting a leak down tester though.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Make sure its warm also.

You can rig a hose outside off the PCV system so you can see how much smoke is coming out,
    Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Are those numbers for compression hot or cold? Cold or having sat for a few hours, mine is 120-125 on the compression test. I'm going to look into getting a leak down tester though.
    Yes, these numbers are warm. I am not concerned about the 125.....im running a head shim to lower compression a bit. But the one lower cylinder is concerning.

well a compression test like that is on the borderline of needing to be tore down since a difference of twenty between cylinders is a big deal and you are very close.
    Yes, its probably inevitable that it will have to come apart again, but im hoping it makes it through SDAC OK and I can drive it for the summer. Then, tear the head off and try again on that cylinder. Im tired of tearing the damn thing apart, so if its blowing oil, its blowing oil.

turbo addict

Well, looks like i may be giving that cylinder another re-ring before SDAC. Crap. Compression is down to 105 and there is a considerable more leakage than the other 3.

turbo addict

Well, looks like i may be giving that cylinder another re-ring before SDAC. Crap. Compression is down to 105 and there is a considerable more leakage than the other 3.
    sure its not a head gasket

turbo addict

sure its not a head gasket
    When I wet test it, compression comes up.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

did you try the brakekleen ring seat trick in that hole?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    did you try the brakekleen ring seat trick in that hole?

Brian
    No, I just ordered up a single cylinder ring set and new headgasket. Im hoping I will be able to go in there, clean up everything real nice, re-hone the hole and file up the rings and be done im time for SDAC. If not, ill just bring the Charger. I just dont want to do the brake clean or keep driving it as-is because the compression has actually dropped, so something is going on. Do you think brake clean is worth a shot? I dont want to score the cylinder up any worse than it is.

I was thinking about dumping a bottle of that "Restore" in as a last ditch effort and driving it until the rings show up. I have had luck with it in the past on old engines, but I dont know how it would do with a cylinder that hasnt ever seated.
    Last edited by 1FastCSX289; 06-16-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i dunno, re-ringing it is probably the best choice unless many chime in saying the brakekleen trick worked well for them.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i dunno, re-ringing it is probably the best choice unless many chime in saying the brakekleen trick worked well for them.

Brian
    Yea....ive got the parts coming now, and i dont think it should take too long to re-ring it. Hopefully, it will cooperate for SDAC.

turbo addict

Yea....ive got the parts coming now, and i dont think it should take too long to re-ring it. Hopefully, it will cooperate for SDAC.
    how did you do your break in process of the motor?

turbo addict

how did you do your break in process of the motor?
    Turned the boost up to about 14 PSI and drove it normally.......which is beating the tar out of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast