Thread: Dad brought one home!

turbo addict

Dad brought one home!

Went to a local action today the had quite a few later b body cars, 71-74 chargers and imperials and whatnot, well there was a 86 dodge 600 convert up or sale we kinda joked about it he said he use to fix alot of these and resell them, well its time for history to repeat itself...he bought it for a whopping $225 and it RAN, wooo well it needs a top, interior isn't to bad, but once it warms up it shuts off, sounds like something electrical, any tips guys??? I'm not familiar with the 'draw thru' cars, so any suggestions would be great!

Also anyone know of a place to buy a convertible top?

Pics will be coming tomorrow when we tow her home!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Dad brought one home!

I'm not sure why it would shut off, but congrats on the car. I'm out in the garage trying to get my 86' 600 running as we speak.

turbo addict

My thoughts are electrical just cause of other cars ive worked on and had problems with electronics once they do warm up, just a shot in the dark really for these cars. I cant wait to get it home tomorrow and get working on it, plus he gets to go to another auction with around 70 cars ...to bad i have to work

Check the fuel pump.

turbo addict

Fuel pump or something to do with a closed loop issue. Check the vacuum lines too. Take it this is a turrrrrbo car. With 86 I'd swap on a known good HEP as well and try that.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    With 86 I'd swap on a known good HEP as well and try that.
    That'd be my first shot too.

turbo addict

I was doing some reading last night and also seen that it may be the HEP, or a coolant temp sensor, I have an extra HEP i'll try that first, i assume its the same as the one for my 89 daytona TII, so i'll try that tonight after work

A quick internet search came up with the following replacement convertible top places for the 600:

http://www.theautotopshop.com/catego...categoryId=661
    http://hydroe.com/Dodge_600_Parts.html
    http://www.ezsofttops.com/p-1371-198...ic-window.aspx

I haven't used any of these places, so I can't vouch for their quality, but at least it appears that getting a replacement top will be rather easy.

turbo addict

Well car doesnt 'shut off' like stated, i put some coolant in her, just a lil low, fired up ran up untill it got 'warm' drove around fine, never stalled at all, woo

Found out the rad, support is broke loose from the frame anyone else have this problem?

btw thanks for the links to the convert. tops

That's mighty slick for a couple hundred bucks, congrats!

BTW it looks like it may have the "Mark Cross" interior...
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    That's mighty slick for a couple hundred bucks, congrats!

BTW it looks like it may have the "Mark Cross" interior...
    I thought the same thing for a second, but that isn't the right arm rest is it?

turbo addict

Did some maintance stuff on it today, put in newer plugs, put on some new wiper blades, fixed the convert. top button, oiled the doors and windows, I also installed a newer cd player i had laying around, the one in the car didnt play cds. Also inspected the brakes, found a couple more cracks in the rad. support that are going to be welded up soon. also put in a k&n filter i had left over from when i removed my TII air box on the daytona. I temp. installed my daytona boost guage thing reads a whopping 7psi, i can see why so many do the TII swap

Resident Nuke Turbo Mopar Contributor denviola's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I thought the same thing for a second, but that isn't the right arm rest is it?
    The Mark Cross name branded interior was on the Lebaron vert although it was the same 2 tone leather interior in the 600. The center console arm rest in the 600 did not have the Cross logo in the leather. I'm more familiar with the 85 vert, had one LeBaron and still have the 600. My 86 vert has vinyl interior.
    Another resource for top is convertibletopguys.com.
    Denny
    SDAC Member, Steel City Chapter SDAC Member, SV-SDAC member, SV-TD Member
    www.sv-td.com
    85 600 ES Turbo Conv., 91 Spirit R/T
    2014 RAM Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Dually. 6.7 CTD, AISIN, 4.10 gear
    68 GS400 (owned since 1973, someday 455)
    2012 Can-AM RT Limited

Quote Originally Posted by denviola View Post
    The Mark Cross name branded interior was on the Lebaron vert although it was the same 2 tone leather interior in the 600. The center console arm rest in the 600 did not have the Cross logo in the leather. I'm more familiar with the 85 vert, had one LeBaron and still have the 600. My 86 vert has vinyl interior.
    Another resource for top is convertibletopguys.com.
    Denny
    Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I had an 84 400 conv. N/A motor, not very fast, but fun. Big trunk ,32+MPG, great for trippin.
    Oh "Chicks dig convertibles" stereo up, the wind in her hair...................... pardon, I drifted off there for a second.

Some jacka$$ T boned it!.................... another dream shot to He11
    Enjoy my man. You'll get invited to all the parades now.

turbo addict

ya I'm not really a convertible guy, but after drive it around my house for a while, its actually really relaxing and pretty fun Ive already heard "chicks dig convertibles" plenty of times while cleaning it up, we'll see

Have any of you guys used any of the tops from any of the stores posted or anywhere else, Im just wondering on fitment?

Hybrid booster

I dunno about the chicks love convertibles so much, but my ex-wife got flirted with a lot when she drove my Shadow ES with the top down.

turbo addict

I like that version of the car a lot. A kid had one back when I lived in Greenfield and it was a black twin to your car. Even had the pizzas. Looked very sharp and was actually well kept. I like that style the best because the header panel isn't pointy on the corners. Pretty sure they crushed the perfect parts car nearby as they had a vert like that for a while. I will check it you want. A couple other people wanted parts too. Nice score for sure tho!
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

A black on black 86 600ES turbo convertible as cool as K cars ever got!
    I remember one up on the dealers display stand, scowlin at me, sittin in traffic. The wife said no.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

My 89 caravan would die when it was warm, thats why the previous owner sold it. I replaced the HEP and its been fine since.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member