Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashable SMEC/SBEC Group Buy 1st round!

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Flashable SMEC/SBEC Group Buy 1st round!

OK, so I placed the Flashable Module board order today. And, I put together the final pricing.

For the Flashable SMEC and SBEC, the price will be $100 + $50 core charge. If you send in your core, obviously you won't need to pay the core charge. This is $50 cheaper than I originally projected.

For the Serial/USB Cables, the price will be $50. These turned out to be slightly more complicated than I originally thought due to needing some extra protection circuitry due to the SBEC bootstrap process. I had hoped to make them cheaper, but I really can't get it any lower. The cable will be complete and plug-n-play into the SCI connector. It will have ~5' of cabling, which should be enough to get from the SCI connector to the passenger seat on all cars.

I'm not planning to do any DIY modules or kits right now. Maybe at a later date.

2 things to know about the cables:
    1) The USB cables will not work for flashing a cal with D-Cal. For some reason, D-Cal does not recognize them as a legit serial port. So, to flash a cal to the SMEC/SBEC from D-Cal, you need a computer with a RS232 serial port, and you need a serial cable. There is also a program called 'SMECFlash' that's out there. It might work with the USB cables, I have not tested it. Also, 90TurboVan has written his own editor/flasher that should work with the USB cables, but again, I have not tested it.

2) Datalogging with the serial cables is limited. This is because the PC serial ports cannot be programmed to run at the SMEC/SBEC baud rates. So, for datalogging (from LogWorks, when Risen gets his plug-in finished), you'll need a USB cable (the chip used in the USB cable can be programmed to work at any integer baud rate). Though, it is possible to modify the baud rate of a cal to run at 9600 baud. Which will work with a PC for datalogging. I'm not sure if Risen plans to include provisions for this in his LogWorks plugin. The baud mod + the high-speed logger switch on T-SMEC will also allow you to datalog with SMECLogger (posted here).

I know this sucks. But, right now we don't have enough development of PC software for our ECU's. We really need a new editor that can support the newer hardware that's available...

The cables will come with a 2-wire pigtail attached for adding a pushbutton for flashing the SBEC (I'll generate some flashing instructions later). And, I will supply a 60-way pin/wire (salvage) for adding the bootstrap pin to the SMEC 60-way connector for flashing the SMEC (again, detailled flashing instructions will follow). The USB cable will have the pigtail as well, eventhough there's currently no software that will allow flashing thru USB.

Surprise! It turns out that the latest module design is actually reprogrammable on-the-fly. That's right, it's possible to write to the EEPROM while the engine is running - just like the Ostrich. The catch? Again, there's no software to support it. I can (and plan to) write a routine for Turbonator SMEC/SBEC that will allow updating of the calibration data while running. But, there will still need to be a PC-side program to monitor the binary for changes and send the updates to the SMEC/SBEC. Anyone any good at PC programming?

Since it's been over 3 months since I posted the original poll, I think it's best to start a new group-buy list. I'm reserving spots for MCSVT and GLHSNSLHT2 because they seemed the most interested - and they had cores to trade. If they want out, I'll open up those spots. This first group buy will be limited to 10 computers total. Only because that's the most I could hope to build in the next couple of months.

I'm not ready to take money at this point. Mostly because I'm at the mercy of the board house. They might be back in 3 weeks, or it could be 2 months. When the boards ship to me, I'll post up and you can send in cores/payment/etc. But, I do want to get the list set so that I can start getting organized. Once I do get the boards, I should be able to ship the 1st computer within a month. If you're #10 on the list, add probably 2 months to that wait. Once these first 10 are out, I'll look at my free time (baby daughter comes in Sept) and organize the 2nd round of 10.

Also, I'm not going to be taking any more orders for socketing/cal work so that I can concentrate on getting these out. And, in the interest of saving time, I don't plan to build any custom cals for these computers. If you're buying a flashable computer, it's because you want to do your own cal, right?

If you want on the list, post your real name, quantity and type of computer (SMEC or SBEC), whether you will supply a core or not, and quantity and type of cables you want.
    Last edited by ShelGame; 06-09-2009 at 08:49 AM.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Flashable SMEC/SBEC Group Buy 1st round!

Rob - put me on the list. i want one (1):

-SMEC and USB cable
    -will keep my core

Morris Terveen

also, sent u a pm regarding software stuff.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Rob I'm still in.

Gary Mazzone
    1 SBEC
    Have a Core (plus the 3 SMEC I promised you)
    1 serial cable
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Mitsu booster

Rob, I'm down for at least one board, two boards, if this can be used with the SBEC I that uses the non-latched memory. I would also like two usb to serial cables, if I'm allowed two that is.

Chris Jensen

1 board for a SBEC II
    1 board for a SBEC I
    2 USB to serial adaptors

If I can install it myself, that is my preference, otherwise I will supply core.

Quote Originally Posted by vprtech View Post
    Rob, I'm down for at least one board, two boards, if this can be used with the SBEC I that uses the non-latched memory. I would also like two usb to serial cables, if I'm allowed two that is.

Chris Jensen

1 board for a SBEC II
    1 board for a SBEC I
    2 USB to serial adaptors

If I can install it myself, that is my preference, otherwise I will supply core.

The SBEC I and II both use the latched memory chip (87C257). They should both be able to use the SBEC module I'm building. I know the SBECII bootstraps the same way as a SBECI. But, I haven't tested the module on a SBECII - only SBECI.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

The emutility that comes with the Ostrich does a great job of monitoring the .bin file for changes. I'm not sure what would be involved in getting it to work with your flashable units, but it may be worth a look. PM me if you can't get the program from the Moates site.
    No fun cars any more :(

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    The emutility that comes with the Ostrich does a great job of monitoring the .bin file for changes. I'm not sure what would be involved in getting it to work with your flashable units, but it may be worth a look. PM me if you can't get the program from the Moates site.
    The program we need will have to communicate with a routine in the binary itself. The routine will have to make sure that only the data segment is written to. I don't think we want to try and modify a code segment while it's running. Unpredictable things can happen that way.

There will have to be a specific protocol (command bytes, address bytes, etc.) to do that. I doubt Emutility can do that, but I'll have a look.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by vprtech View Post
    1 board for a SBEC II
    Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    The SBEC I and II both use the latched memory chip (87C257). They should both be able to use the SBEC module I'm building. I know the SBECII bootstraps the same way as a SBECI. But, I haven't tested the module on a SBECII - only SBECI.
    once there's some experience about the SBEC II compatability available would please you let us know sounds promising so far!

is there some dead line for placing orders on this?

The only deadline is to be #10. Though, I suppose if we don't get 10 for the 1st group, then there really is no deadline at all. Looks like I'm only up to 5 right now:

GLHSNSLHT2 x 1
    MCSVT x 1
    wowzer x 1
    vprtech x 2
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Bump. I expect the boards in a couple of weeks...

Did I mention these will be flashable on-the-fly like the Ostrich?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

only $100 I thought it was more than that for some reason. Add me to the list for 1

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Damn, always catching these things late in the game!

I'll take at least one SMEC, I'm pretty sure I've got a core to send.

Mike Flynn

PS Will any SMEC do? I've got a TIII I'd like to play with, but no core for it...
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

GLHSNSLHT2 x 1
    MCSVT x 1
    wowzer x 1
    vprtech x 2

moparman76_69 x 1
    zin x 1

zin: It needs to be a turbo SMEC/SBEC. But if you want a flashable TIII SBEC, then I'd need one of those. They're different from the 'regular' turbo SBEC's...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

But, there will still need to be a PC-side program to monitor the binary for changes and send the updates to the SMEC/SBEC. Anyone any good at PC programming?
    hey rob, i might be interested in taking a look at the pc-side program needed. just pm me with some details or requirements.
    also, iirc the turbonator is only running on SMEC and SBEC-I right? any chance something will be developed to interface with the flashable SBEC-II's?

Quote Originally Posted by janus View Post
    hey rob, i might be interested in taking a look at the pc-side program needed. just pm me with some details or requirements.
    also, iirc the turbonator is only running on SMEC and SBEC-I right? any chance something will be developed to interface with the flashable SBEC-II's?
    If I could my hands on a datasheet for the flashable Toshiba chip they used in the SBEC-II's, I could probably figure it out. But, the flashable modules I built should also work in the SBEC-II the same way they work in the early SBEC's. I'd just need to test one...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

If I could my hands on a datasheet for the flashable Toshiba chip they used in the SBEC-II's, I could probably figure it out. But, the flashable modules I built should also work in the SBEC-II the same way they work in the early SBEC's. I'd just need to test one...
    Rob, I've taken SBEC2's that had a Toshiba chip, and used a ST 28F256 chip instead with no issues. The SBEC2's I've seen have either the Toshiba chip or the ST 28F256 chip, either one is flashable. Some of the later SBEC2's had a 28F512 flashable chip in them, I think they called these SBECIIB's , we are talking the non four cylinder type .

The 28F256 chip - is that a 28-pin chip or a 32-pin?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

so if D-cal doesn't work to flash it by usb what does? Or how do you flash one of thes SMECs with a usb cable?

Mitsu booster

The 28F256 chip - is that a 28-pin chip or a 32-pin?
    I believe 32 pin, I think I have the data sheet somewhere, let me look.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    so if D-cal doesn't work to flash it by usb what does? Or how do you flash one of thes SMECs with a usb cable?
    There's a program called SMECflash that might work, but it's a lot more cumbersome to use than D-Cal.

I use a serial cable for flashing, for now.

There's a new editor in-progress that (hopefully) will be able to flash using a USB port...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast