Thread: Car shaking above 45 under load

Garrett booster

Car shaking above 45 under load

Hi, I have a 91 Spirit R/T 5spd. So here is the story I went around a right turning cloverleaf at around 40 then I parked the car. On the way out of the parking spot I starting rolling up the curb on the passenger side not hard I stoped right away and took another aproach I thought no big deal. On the way out of the parking lot the right side is now shaking when the car is under load it get worse the faster I go and only with load from the engine. Also first and second gear you do not really notice third a little and 4th and 5th get pretty bad. Is this a bad CV shaft? wheel bearing? ball joint? I have swaped the tire on the front to eliminate that possibility. I visually inspected and wiggled the shaft and tie rod the shaft has a little play. Help!

Hybrid booster

Re: Car shaking above 45 under load

Motor or trans mount possibly?

turbo addict

When I've had a half shaft fail it was pretty obvious (generally threw the inner lube all over the place). If your boots look good, you aren't tossing lube, and you can't move them by hand, then you are probably searching for an engine/trans mount problem.

I've never had a wheel bearing fail on any Dodge I've ever owned. Gaskets and seals? Yes. The bearing itself? No. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

Garrett booster

I have had a mount go bad on my 2.5 daytona and it made the whole car shake at idle. That is not happening here but I will order a new mount and see what happens.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Usually a vibration under load is caused by a bad inner joint on one of the axles.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbodave View Post
    usually a vibration under load is caused by a bad inner joint on one of the axles.
    +1 ^^^

Garrett booster

Would it be the axle on the side that has the shake or the otherone? I really feel like it coming from the pass side but the turn I took at high speed was a right hand turn and that would suggest to me the drivers side? Thanks for the help so far! Are the reman shafts from oriely OK for now?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Did you have a lot of body roll when turning to the right ont he cloverleaf? Body rolls to the left and stretches the right side axle as the suspension hangs in rebound.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

I did not think so it was only around a 40-45 mph turn on a cloverleaf. The R/T has the stock suspension and crap tires so mabye there was more body lean them I though.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by dr_amx View Post
    Would it be the axle on the side that has the shake or the otherone? I really feel like it coming from the pass side but the turn I took at high speed was a right hand turn and that would suggest to me the drivers side? Thanks for the help so far! Are the reman shafts from oriely OK for now?
    Everyone I've had fail I could feel what side it was while I was driving.

I've got O'Reilly shafts on both sides of my car and they hold up well to the full throttle full stop traffic of Atlanta.

I've heard some people say the remans are junk right out of the box so when I picked up mine I manipulated them a bit to see that they felt okay. I didn't notice anything odd, am not sure I would even be able to feel it if it was bad, and have gone over a year now daily driven a minimum of 25 miles on both axles. Just took the car for a blast through the Smokey Mountains a couple of weekends ago too.

boostaholic

Jack up the car, jack stands under lower A arms. Start eng. and put in 2nd gear, than see if vib is still there. Note if there is any run out of the tires, or axles.

Garrett booster

I can try that but the vib is usually at a higher speed then 2nd gear and under load not while coasting.

Garrett booster

Score one for turbodave 1 bad inner joint on the passenger side. Now I have one of the stupid clamp on counter weights.