Thread: alternator glhs

alternator glhs

I have the alternator out now and was thinking about replacing it. Don't they make a smaller, more efficient version of these today? I have also seen in rock auto they have 78 amp and 90 amp alternators. Which one was stock on the glhs?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: alternator glhs

Yes, you put the Nippo alt on, its a 90 amp unit and tiny.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ighlight=nippo
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Yup, that's what came on mine. Neither of them were stock for the cars but they are better units than the externally cooled ones that they originally came with.

On that post, everybody was talking about brackets, changing belts. Will the same belt work? Same bracket? You said the only mod you did was notch the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
    On that post, everybody was talking about brackets, changing belts. Will the same belt work? Same bracket? You said the only mod you did was notch the frame.
    If you ignore what others wrote, I simply reused the old stuff and the pics show what I did.

You might get away with using a longer belt to avoid notching the frame. I got tired of it and did that, it worked for me.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I was looking on Rock-Auto parts. Nippondenso Alternator? It said 90 amps. They have a lot of varieties. I can get away with the stock belt? I do not mean to beat a dead horse, I just want to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
    I was looking on Rock-Auto parts. Nippondenso Alternator? It said 90 amps. They have a lot of varieties. I can get away with the stock belt? I do not mean to beat a dead horse, I just want to make sure.
    I did but had to notch the frame.

Not sure why its an issue, you can go buy a few longer belts and take back the ones you don't use.

Thanks for the help? The next time I tear this thing apart, I am yanking the whole dam engine. Too much of a p.i.a working on this puny engine bay!

Sorry, should have been an ! point after help.