Thread: TM's Car of the Month (June Edition)

Bad Mother Flecker Turbo Mopar Staff fleckster's Avatar

TM's Car of the Month (June Edition)

Turbo Mopar's Car of the Month - June 2009
    Jeremy's (neonsox) 1987 Shelby Lancer #63!

Shelby was originally asked to do his version of Dodge's H Body to be a sport sedan to compete against the BMW 535i. Many thought this was crazy but we know different! Here is a beautiful low mileage example of the highly desirable breed!

A little history: My first Turbo Mopar was a white/gray '89 Daytona Shelby that I bought the summer I graduated HS (1997). I learned to drive on an '89 base model, but the turbo made a HUGE difference. I drove that car everywhere and put some serious mileage on it. I ended up regretfully selling it after a wrist pin got loose and gouged up a cylinder wall. Ever since then, I've had various G and J bodies throughout the years, some turbo and some not. The Lancer is my first H-body and first four door Turbo Mopar. It's a great car, a blast to drive, and I hope to keep it in great shape for a long time.

All original Shelby items are in/on the car, even the Pioneer DEX-77 (no volume at the moment, speakers need to be connected). I have all the original documentation and history. More pictures can be seen on the New England SDAC site (www.sdacne.com) from our first meeting back in February. Thanks go out to forums like this, the various chapter sites and groups, and the various old school pioneer sites and mailing lists that have helped me maintain my cars over the years.

Oh yes, Mods. How could I forget? Let's see, so far, we have:

- High-flow cat and Dynomax muffler, 3" cat-back piping
    - Mopar Stage II Computer, 14-15 psi
    - K&N Air Filter, Accel wires, Mobil 1 oil/filter
    - McLeod Street Racing Clutch, stock 520 otherwise
    - Loud BOV of unknown origin (later stock unit, maybe)
    - 30 psi boost gauge

I've since replaced those crappy plastic high beam units with glass units and cleaned up the engine bay a little more. Keeping my time capsule clean!

^ Rear shot with the garage she lives in most of the time.

^ Rear shot, different angle.

^ My favorite picture and where the "magic" happens. The engine bay could use a little detailing, but it'll do for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lancer resize.jpg 
Views:	86708 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	15344  

John M. Fleck

'83 Dodge Rampage 2.2 w/ 2.5L Turbo 14.79@94
    '87 Shelby Lancer #213 14.99@94
    '89 Chrysler LeBaron GT Turbo 'vert 15.88@92
    '92 Dodge Spirit R/T 13.50@104 ; 13.34@102 on slicks
    '98 Dodge Neon R/T 15.66@89
    '03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98