Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is The '87 GLHS Selling For More Than The '86 GLHS?

Is The '87 GLHS Selling For More Than The '86 GLHS?

Here's what NADA says for both:

1986:
    http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...vi=86181&da=-1

1987:
    http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...vi=86183&da=-1

Isn't the NADA just a database for actual car transactions? Not pending sales, or listed sales, but actual transactions on sold cars right? Or do they derive their numbers from some other methodology?

If so, are the 87's really selling for more than the 86's? Or, has NADA made an error here?

Last question: has a 1987 GLHS ever, anywhere, sold for $16,325.00?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Is The '87 GLHS Selling For More Than The '86 GLHS?

Interesting... not sure where they get the data from.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

I'd say you could reverse those two and they'd be fairly accurate.

turbo addict

ahem.....bulls^$t

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    Here's what NADA says for both:

1986:
    http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...vi=86181&da=-1

1987:
    http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...vi=86183&da=-1

Isn't the NADA just a database for actual car transactions? Not pending sales, or listed sales, but actual transactions on sold cars right? Or do they derive their numbers from some other methodology?

If so, are the 87's really selling for more than the 86's? Or, has NADA made an error here?

Last question: has a 1987 GLHS ever, anywhere, sold for $16,325.00?
    interesting, I also would like that question answered

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Who cares what the NADA guide says anyway. You really think there are people cruising used car lots looking for GLHS's?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Who cares what the NADA guide says anyway. You really think there are people cruising used car lots looking for GLHS's?
    I always keep an eye out. . .
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

there's been two or three very nice #9 condition, beautiful all-over, unmolested, low mileage 87 GLHS cars for sale on ebay in past year or so, and none of them broke thru the $9,000 mark let alone the $16,000 level. ebay is a huge place for exposure to all sorts of buyers so i've always thought of ebay as a decent source to gage car prices, not the best maybe, but good.

thats why the NADA data seemed so whacked out. i would like to know how that organization justifies their data on collector cars (they have a seperate section for such cars) , maybe they know something we do not.

Mitsu booster

The NADA prices are derived from reported values to the DMV. Most people report lower values than what they actually pay to save sales tax. Unfortunately this lowers the NADA averages but everyone knows a collector car is worth what a person is willing to pay for it not what some agency says its worth.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    The NADA prices are derived from reported values to the DMV. Most people report lower values than what they actually pay to save sales tax. Unfortunately this lowers the NADA averages but everyone knows a collector car is worth what a person is willing to pay for it not what some agency says its worth.
    Exactly....

As far as the state knows, I paid $100 for my Acclaim, while similar examples are seen selling at a whopping $1000-2000.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Anyone heard from Lynn Traverse (sp?) lately? He used to be pretty active on the forums and mailing lists and was a NADA advisor regarding the value on our cars.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

".......The NADA prices are derived from reported values to the DMV.........."

Connecticut is like many other states: they abolished the "reported" sales prices for purposes of calculating taxes on used car sales. CT, like others, uses a database (like NADA) to determine what your sales tax will be on used cars/vehicles. When I bought my GLHS in 2001, I paid sales tax on a sales price of about $500 as I recall even though the actual transaction was 20 times that.

That being the case, how could NADA rely upon data taken from the taxing authorities in the states to set NADA fair market estimates for collector cars? Seems like a poor decision on NADA's part.

And, to set the top value of an 87S at over $16 grand as they have done here, wouldnt NADA need a consumated sale on-record of an 87S at that price? Was there ever one? Or do they just pull these values out of their hat?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Chad T View Post
    I'd say you could reverse those two and they'd be fairly accurate.
    I agree 100%.

Garrett booster

I find the scrutiny in the car enthusiast world to be amazing. Not only is there brand loyalty, but then there's model loyalty, and now - YEAR LOYALTY. That's pretty funny. I mean I understand why since holding onto an old car is an investment and there were different changes from year to year, but then it turns into an Alpha issue. "My '86 is better than any '87". It happens, don't deny it.

turbo addict

I'm not a big fan of the NADA cause it has guys thinking they are sitting on gold or when you have lots of calls to a guy with a beat to snot 89 shelby and then he won't take less than 900 for it. Yeah a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for sure. That is why I'm unimpressed with the NADA giving some people a false sense of how to price their vehicle. If there is enough interest then ebay it or try to sell to who will pay the most, but don't just go up and say well NADA says this.. I think some of this NADA business drove up the price of the muscle car.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

"......but then it turns into an Alpha issue. "My '86 is better than any '87". It happens, don't deny it. .........."

I'm not sure what you are getting at there, what I was trying to learn about was the process NADA uses in posting their "fair values" for collector cars. What struck me was the high value on the 87S. Of course nobody has knowledge of every single sale of all 87S's but between the various car web sites (such as this one), the various car clubs, sights like ebay, and other sources for info, I just cannot understand why NADA is telling the world that the high value on an 87S is over 16 grand. Read their additional info on "high value", it specifically states:

"Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.
    * "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-regulated facility"

So in theory, they are sorta saying that even the 16 grand could be eclipsed right?

NADA's apparent sillyness wouldn't matter if there were not plenty of sellers who actually quote the NADA numbers during negotiations.

Garrett booster

I don't think the NADA numbers mean anything to anybody but the common car dealer. And not even they really go by them. I doubt a GLHS with 8 miles on the odometer would fetch anywhere near $16K these days, sadly. Not even in these forums. Out in the the rest of the world, these cars are virtually unknown.

So my point was that there's a lot of inter-brand bickering that really should not go on. There's a lot of elitism and snobby attitudes about who drives what and what it's worth instead of a general helpful attitude. When it comes down to it, ALL TM's share the same DNA, the same parts, and are looked at the same way by the rest of the automotive world. Not everybody is like that, so I'm not directing that at you, but it's frustrating to see how a one year difference is even that big of a deal in price - especially when the changes weren't monumental.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

The institutional clients of NADA and Kelley (banks and taxing authorities) actually subscribe to the NADA/Kelley databases and they therefore have input and clout in the determination of the methodology of valuation. What we, as consumers who actually buy and sell, think or do, is "nada." LOL

Another thing, the smaller the sample, the less reliable the results.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the NADA cause it has guys thinking they are sitting on gold or when you have lots of calls to a guy with a beat to snot 89 shelby and then he won't take less than 900 for it. Yeah a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for sure. That is why I'm unimpressed with the NADA giving some people a false sense of how to price their vehicle. If there is enough interest then ebay it or try to sell to who will pay the most, but don't just go up and say well NADA says this.. I think some of this NADA business drove up the price of the muscle car.
    NADA is very helpfull in determining value of a GLHS vs. an Omni if said GLHS is unfortunately in an accident.

There will always be people who think their car is worth more than it is, especially when they have no idea until they read ro see something. Is this Daytona you mention the one who was advertizing for $500 then after you talked to him he was asking $750?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

My car, SL #63 (87K miles), according to NADA...

Original MSRP in 1987: $16,995

As of today, according to NADA:

Low Retail - $3,175
    Average Retail - $5,850
    High Retail - $11,550

I bought the car for far less than "low retail" in December and I'd say it's in Average to High condition. NADA is way off, and this is a numbered collector car.

Next up, my '04 Neon SXT...

Base MSRP in 2004: $15,800

As of today, according to NADA (adjusted for 57K miles):

In Rough Shape - $3,400
    Trade-In Average - $4,200
    Clean Trade - $4,850
    Clean Retail - $6,250

Now I know the SXT isn't a collector car but those prices are again inflated. I'd say it's very clean, almost show room, but there's no way I'm getting $4,200 on a trade and I sure wouldn't be able to sell it outright for 5 or 6,000 bucks.

So it really doesn't matter what the car is unless maybe it's a Honda or a Toyota because of the import myth. Those numbers are absolutely meaningless. It's only worth what you can sell it for, just like anything else you own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast