Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: KYB AGX adjustable strut install on TD!!!!

turbo addict

Re: KYB AGX adjustable strut install on TD!!!!

kind of confused on the whole welding part for the bottom knuckle hole..

couldnt you just use a hand file until it looks like the stock strut's slot?

and im kind of missing why the top hole for the knuckle wont work.. can someone explain in idiot terms

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowv4l View Post
    Finally got around to playin with my new toys....

Grabbed 2 junk yard struts from a shadow and cut the tube about 1/2inch or so from the cap for the struts contents

I drilled a small hole in the bottom to drain the fluid, once it was drained i used a "stepper" bit until the hole was big enough for the bolt, the KONI tube comes with a nut welded to the bottom so it can be fastened to the bottom of the strut housing

Note: no modifications needed here!

I had a machinest friend place my struts in a lathe type setup to turn down the shaft a bit to get the full thread engagement when the top mount is installed.

Plenty of thread for the nut

hopefully installing the springs shortly and at the same time slapping these puppies on the car, Along with a proper alignment
    Why don't you just do this, better strut and easier install. I still have them on my car and they are working great with no issues and great handling.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

here is the info - KONI
    Price: $203.00 (each) From Tirerack
    Estimated Availability: In Stock
    Manufacturer Part #: 8610-1351SPORT

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance 6g72 View Post
    kind of confused on the whole welding part for the bottom knuckle hole..

couldnt you just use a hand file until it looks like the stock strut's slot?

and im kind of missing why the top hole for the knuckle wont work.. can someone explain in idiot terms
    You would need massive bolts to cover enough of the metal to make it safe, he welded that way the bolts have something to hold onto making it safer and less scary i'm sure.

turbo addict

yeah im likingt he insert idea too. $200 a pop isnt bad for konis i guess.

you guys seem to pair them with after market springs, how well would shelby csx springs work?

i have shelby lancer springs on a pair of sensa tracs and the coils are cut (1.5coils removed i think.. previous owner did it) the ride is tighter than stock but i do get the double bounce instead of a single bounce when i hit a bump.. would these struts take care of that? im just assuming my spring rate is too high for my crap struts.

I googled the part number (8610-1351SPORT) and came up with a regular strut (for a subaru) not a cartridge that could be inserted into another strut housing. What am I missing?

turbo addict
    This is outdated you can get a BC coilover half kit for 600 bucks, that gets you camber plate, adjustable spring and lots of adjustability for valving.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

last i checked, BCs for neons are like $1200 and $900 if modern performance decides to have a flash sale...and thats just for the struts

are you saying it wouldnt come with struts, just inserts and camber plates and such?

Hybrid booster

The thread is here.

The site to purchase kits is here.

You would need the "BR Front Half kit" for $500 and the "Front SRT4 to 80's Dodge Adapter Kit" for $150, so, it's $650 total. Not bad for a bolt on kit. The total package minus rear shocks would be $1050 plus the QA1 shocks modified to fit. I just dream about installing all this on a ride.

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs0426 View Post
    The thread is here.

The site to purchase kits is here.

You would need the "BR Front Half kit" for $500 and the "Front SRT4 to 80's Dodge Adapter Kit" for $150, so, it's $650 total. Not bad for a bolt on kit. The total package minus rear shocks would be $1050 plus the QA1 shocks modified to fit. I just dream about installing all this on a ride.
    Yeah, thats what I was getting at, thanks for the links. The agx struts run around 285 a piece then you have to modify them pretty good and reuse your stock spring. The coilovers run you 650 and bolt in with brand new springs in your choice of rate and you could adjust from close to stock down to slammed.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

oo yeah, 2 struts $500 all 4, $1000 makes sense

thanks

Hybrid booster

this is what i'm reading on the site

Unofficial BC Coilvoers Adapted to 83-94 Dodge Cars
    (Note: These Are Not Official BC Racing Supported Applications)!

For The History Behind these and Links to Installs look here: Unofficial BC Coilover Development History Thread (turbo-mopar.com)

Full BR Series Front and Rear BR kit for Lbody

This includes custom front top plates to adapt the front struts and front spindle spacers.
    (Requires 89-94 GJKHPA body spindles and/or custom spindle spacers)
    The Kit also includes custom rear hardware to adapt the rear shocks.
    This custom kit requires special handling charges are added by BC and are included in the shipping costs.

The BC components are drop shipped directly from BC and the custom components are shipped seperately.

The Kit does not include top body isolators or bottom shock bushings. Both are available from polybushings.com.
    Spring Rates 6k(336lbs/in) Front/4k(224lbs/in) Rear7k(392lbs/in) Front/5k(280lbs/in) Rear8k(448lbs/in) Front/6k(336lbs/in) Rear10k(560lbs/in) Front/8k(448lbs/in) Rear
    $1375 Shipped

Plus Johnny's bushings.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    I googled the part number (8610-1351SPORT) and came up with a regular strut (for a subaru) not a cartridge that could be inserted into another strut housing. What am I missing?
    That is probably a generic picture, try going to tire rack and read their description. You have to be careful with part numbers and pictures, they don't always show you the correct part in the photo.

Hybrid booster

Are the diameters of the K and L body struts the same? I'm wondering if the Imprezza inserts would work in the L-body struts.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Yeah, thats what I was getting at, thanks for the links. The agx struts run around 285 a piece then you have to modify them pretty good and reuse your stock spring. The coilovers run you 650 and bolt in with brand new springs in your choice of rate and you could adjust from close to stock down to slammed.
    More like 285 for the pair plus a coilover kit, you still come out cheaper unless you want/need the camber plates.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
    Are the diameters of the K and L body struts the same? I'm wondering if the Imprezza inserts would work in the L-body struts.
    Good question, if I had to guess I would say they are the same. Anyone have anything that would say otherwise?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_III View Post
    Also just for the record in case anyone is interested, here is the part number for the ranchos for the ranger.

Man. Part Number: RS999126
    = 26" extended

is that what you would use on a mini or car? The RS999118 is 22.125", RS999116 is 23.750" extended, pretty close to the 23" I just measured on the KYB's on the back of my lebaron.

Garrett booster

Made a set with the Konis - can't wait to mate up to my 2801s and install on the car.

Hybrid booster

if you used the Subby Koni's you wont be disappointed, they're smexy . Now that Eibach discontinued their Pro kit springs for our car it looks like i'll be cutting my factory csxt springs and mating them with the koni's. Hopefully its a good combo

Garrett booster

Love the 2801's. Will be swapping them over next week when I put the new clutch in. Been eyeing this thread for a long time. Just couldn't find a set of Konis that were close to new for a decent price. Can't wait to mount them up - pretty stoked.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789