Thread: KYB AGX adjustable strut install on TD!!!!

Threaded View

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

KYB AGX adjustable strut install on TD!!!!

This thread will show you how to install KYB AGX 4-way adjustable struts onto your turbo dodge. As we all know the KONI's were our only option for a quality and adjustable strut but, NO MORE. YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL

Struts are from the 93-01' Subaru Impreza RS. I got these from TireRack.com for 116.00 each on special plus 7$ shipping. I recommend replacing the strut mount and upper spring perch if your unsure of the condition of your current ones. For this install, I am using the eibach pro-kit but MP springs might be a easier/better fit, i'll address that later. Pictures are worth a thousand words so, here we go!......

KYB's are RED and factory is BLACK.

Here are the struts side-by-side. You can clearly see how similar the struts are.

Here is are the strut bottoms. Same spacing to fit the spindle so no modifications needed here!

Here are the tops. This is were the first and most important modification need to be made. Stock is on the left.....notice how there is a "lip" after the threads on the KYB strut(right)but not on the stock strut(left)? This needs to filed/lathed down so that the strut mount can slide on. Also, notice how the stock strut goes down about 3/4 of an inch farther? If you keep the KYB strut the lenth it is and just machine down the lip area you won't have a lot of thread engagement. You can lose one of the washers for the strut mount to gain a little back and use a nylon lock nut if you wish. I had my struts lathed down the extra 3/4inch(see pic)so that I could have complete thread engagement and I highly recommend going this route. This is the "hardest" mod and it's not really hard, any reputable maching guy should be able to handle this job.

Stock on left

strut mount won't slide on...

after some dremel work....

slides on now

after lathe for extra room...

Here are the bottoms. This is the second mod, pretty easy. The holes don't line up so you need to make a template from the stock strut and copy it onto the KYB strut. The top hole will be fine but, you need to slot the bottom hole and then reweld. Picture will show better...

After slotting and rewelding....

Last thing, We had to adjust the spring seat just a hair for the springs to seat nicely. Just used a wrench and pryed down on the edges of the lower spring seat. The KYB AGX's have a seated area where the spring rest and the stock ones just are a lot wider and flat as you can see in the pictures. As an added measure, we added slots and installed hose clamps just to make sure these things weren't moving, overkill? Maybe, but better safe than sorry!

Here is the finished product! 4-way adjustable shock from a Subaru. Even better is that these Subaru's have a huge aftermarket! You could buy Koni's for the Subaru or coil-overs and use them instead of the KYB AGX's!!! The possibilities are endless and they won't be getting discontinued anytime soon.

I have to thank ADAM at HYD rally racing for giving me this info! I can't take credit. I did go a little farther with the lathe and such but, he is responsible for doing this mod years ago!! Thanks Adam!!

And I have to thank my friend Brian Slowe for doing all the mods, without his lathe and welding modifications skills I wouldn't be sharing this with you all! Thanks Brian!
    Last edited by rx2mazda; 05-27-2009 at 10:11 PM.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.