Thread: 87 Shelby Lancer no start

turbo addict

87 Shelby Lancer no start

Okay guys...got a good 1 for you:

No fuel pump prime, no spark. The car will crank just fine. Eventually the Power Module rolled smoke....ah ha! ASD or injector drivers right?...nope!...replaced with two different units (1 reman, 1 Known to be good)... no change.

The car does have an overcharging alternator...but has been this way for a long period of time with no problems. I doubt this has honerable mention but thought I would toss it out there.

The normal parts swap boogie has also failed...including cap, rotor, wires, HEP...all known good parts.

Jumped the + side of the coil and the fuel pump runs...but no spark and no power to the injectors still.

I have checked all the fueable links...no dice.

The car ran and drove. I pulled the carpet out for a stereo installation and a week later the car wouldn't start. One would think ground but I have not touched anything other than plugs for seatbelt idiot lights and common stereo connections.

So...no fuel pump prime, no spark...will crank away. I have not exhausted all of my diagnosis but thought I'd get those brains working with me.

Hit me with your best shot fellas

EDIT: Also swapped logic module with a known good stocker
    Last edited by badandy; 05-27-2009 at 09:47 PM.

turbo addict

Re: 87 Shelby Lancer no start

Obvious stuff ... rotor is turning?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    Obvious stuff ... rotor is turning?
    Yes but thanks for the suggestion

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Have you eliminated the starter relay? Do you get power at the PM with the key forward? If you aren't getting spark or fuel it must have something to do with the ASD. Perhaps the neutral safety switch if it's an auto?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Have you eliminated the starter relay? Do you get power at the PM with the key forward? If you aren't getting spark or fuel it must have something to do with the ASD. Perhaps the neutral safety switch if it's an auto?
    No I have not eliminated the starter relay. I'm not having any issues getting power to the starter.

I have not checked power at the power module with they key forward yet. I will do so and get back to you.

I too am centering around the ASD but with it being built into the Power Module it cannot be that. Something caused the origianl power module to fry though. Most often times they just get old and go out on their own....but this one had a smoke show...so something caused that. I can't help but think that the long drive from KY to VA with the Alternator overcharging took it's toll on the Power Module and something else along with it.

I've thought about the neutral safety switch as well...however that will just not allow cranking altogether.
    Last edited by badandy; 05-28-2009 at 08:37 AM.

run any stereo/amp wires through the firewall?
    there are a couple factory soldered splices in the Z1 power feed, pretty sure its a green wire. could check those, thats what powers the coil/pump/injectors.
    i think ive got some w. diagrams somewhere here that i got off of mithells at work when i was messing with mine a while back. if you want them, LMK.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by mo' parts View Post
    run any stereo/amp wires through the firewall?
    there are a couple factory soldered splices in the Z1 power feed, pretty sure its a green wire. could check those, thats what powers the coil/pump/injectors.
    i think ive got some w. diagrams somewhere here that i got off of mithells at work when i was messing with mine a while back. if you want them, LMK.
    Yes, I passed a 2 gauge power wire through the hole that the hood release cable utilized. it was the only hole that was big enough for that monster wire.

I will keep that in mind...thank you!

turbo addict

I also forgot to mention that there isn't a check engine light for me to check codes with. I'm not sure what's up with that?

there are two feed wires (J2 Z1? see minimopar) You have to pull the battery to check the spade connectors on them. I had one car that had corrosion on them.

Minimopar pretty well covers this problem. Let me know what you find. I have an 88 Daytona with the same problem.
    Do you have any dash warning lights?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    there are two feed wires (J2 Z1? see minimopar) You have to pull the battery to check the spade connectors on them. I had one car that had corrosion on them.

Minimopar pretty well covers this problem. Let me know what you find. I have an 88 Daytona with the same problem.
    Do you have any dash warning lights?
    Yes, all other dash lights seem to work. I've never owned a Lancer before and this one isn't mine it's Ken's (GLHSKEN). I cannot tell exactly where the light should be but Ken assured me it worked previously. I'm going to pull the cluster to check the bulb.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Your overcharging may be related. Three things can cause overcharging: a voltage regulator not seeing the 14 volts needed to shut off the field current to the alternator, a bad voltage regulator, or a short in the field circuit. We know that our voltage regulators in our cars are in the power module. What caused the smoke? I would guess a bad ground and that current found its way from body ground through the power module and then to the engine (let me give you an example: a bad engine ground, you crank the car and a power flows through the body ground, then through your power module, finding its way to your starter). One thing you may want to do is open up that power module and see what burnt on the circuit board. That might show you where something has shorted also. Marc

turbo addict

Got it running. I decided to go over the pins on the Power Module plugs one last time which got the fuel pump to prime but still no start yet. Decided that spark was all that is left so swapped out the HEP....VROOM! Thanks for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    Got it running. I decided to go over the pins on the Power Module plugs one last time which got the fuel pump to prime but still no start yet. Decided that spark was all that is left so swapped out the HEP....VROOM! Thanks for the suggestions
    Glad you got the car running.

Glad you got it running. But still check the wiring, the Hall effect pickup does not effect the 2 second Prime when the ignition is first turned on.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    Glad you got it running. But still check the wiring, the Hall effect pickup does not effect the 2 second Prime when the ignition is first turned on.
    Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure it actually does.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions fellas

P.S. Ken's going for baddest azz'd stereo at SDAC...lol

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Andy want to deliver the SL by way of NJ and forget to go to KY?

Glad you got it going again can't wait to see it at SDAC!
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    Andy want to deliver the SL by way of NJ and forget to go to KY?

Glad you got it going again can't wait to see it at SDAC!
    A little bit out of the way there Gary I'm pretty sure Ken might not like that too well...not to mention he has my CSX-T as ransome

In the meatime what a comfy cruiser!....and a rolling disco I might add

New carpet went in today I'm Warrened out

New carpet went in today I'm Warrened out
    Nice one.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure it actually does.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions fellas

P.S. Ken's going for baddest azz'd stereo at SDAC...lol
    I'm sure, I even checked it against my car. I unplugged both Hall effect pickups, turned the key on and the fuel pump ran for 2 seconds.