View Poll Results: I would be interested in a reproduction TII/III/IV radiator for the following car

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • L-Body

60 41.10%
  • G-Body Early Style

20 13.70%
  • G-Body Late Style

32 21.92%
  • P-Body

35 23.97%
  • Shelby Lancer

8 5.48%
  • LeBaron

14 9.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Three core radiators in stock configurations...

turbo addict

Re: Three core radiators in stock configurations...

THe TIII rad/cooler package is the same for AA and G body. The TII has the early mounts so they won't bolt up anyway. I don't know if a TIV cooler will bolt to a TIII rad and vise versa but maybe these can be made to accept both.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    If anyone has a 90 VNT Shadow, 90 VNT Daytona, TIII Spirit R/T or TIII Daytona radiator out of their car...
    I don't know if they are the same, but I've got a radiator/cooler set-up from an 89 CSX. If it will work for you, I can bring it to the next SoCal meet, just let me know...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Chirs $300 for a new radiator that looks and performs like an OEM unit is a great idea, you did it again. Seems there's a lot of folks looking for L-body radiators that can accomadate intercoolers, since just about every omni or glht i have seen in past 5 years is being converted to a TII.

Has TU every looked into reproducing the Indy Super 60 intercooler for the L-body?

What a great product that would be: combo new rad and i/c for the L body.

Hybrid booster

We have established contact with a radiator manufacturer that is willing to make limited quantities of our TII/TIII/TIV stock units. We would need a minimum of 10 units per application to be ordered to consider having these made up. We will be incorporating some or all of the following upgrades:

1. Three cores instead of the standard two. This will provide enhanced cooling while only increasing the thickness by 6 mm.
    2. Higher fin count for optimum cooling.
    3. Built in engine/transmission oil cooler.
    4. Temperature sensor ports for monitoring

If anyone would like to see additional upgrades please chime in and let us know.

These will be manufactured using original units as models to insure all mounting provisions, intercooler attachment nuts, fan nut clips, facory clearances (ie. alternator), etc. will be included. They will be constructed of aluminum. Target price will be approximately $300. each plus shipping. These can be built in about 3 weeks from ordering.

If you are interested in more then just one application we have designed this poll to allow multiple selections. We included what we thought would be the most popular model radiators in the poll. Some vehicles in the poll may use the same radiator. Please post if you would be interested in a model not listed.

We look forward to everyone's feedback on these new products.

Chris-TU
    Sounds Fantastic !!!

I would buy one for each of my lebarons.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    I'd be in for a J-body, I also vote for no trans coolers.
    +1. Even though I'm running an auto, I am using an external cooler and would rather not bother with a in-tank cooler.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    THe TIII rad/cooler package is the same for AA and G body. The TII has the early mounts so they won't bolt up anyway. I don't know if a TIV cooler will bolt to a TIII rad and vise versa but maybe these can be made to accept both.
    I think the left hand tank has the same intercooler mounting holes molded into the side on both the T-III & T-IV.

But the fan mounting is very different for the T-III rads. The fan slips into some plastic clips that are molded into the rad rather than the metal s-clips used on the bottom rail of the older rads. The top and bottom rails are completely different between the the later rads (91-93) than the 1990 also (and for that matter the 89 & down).

I don't know if Chris is aware of the variety of styles out there. But when I was looking for one for my Daytona last year, I was offered a variety of rads by friends and none were the same or would fit. Then I found a new VNT rad a friend had.

I also had a hard time finding a shop to rebuild the old ones (because the plastic tanks are NS1), but finally found one and had my old VNT rad rebuilt with a new core and right hand tank (which they happened to have). Since the mounting tabs are molded into the right hand tanks on the later rads, those might be difficult to reproduce. Making repro rads for the 89 & down models may be fairly straight forward, while the 1990 and up will be most challenging.

I will try to get some pics and measurements of the ones I have.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    I think the left hand tank has the same intercooler mounting holes molded into the side on both the T-III & T-IV.

But the fan mounting is very different for the T-III rads. The fan slips into some plastic clips that are molded into the rad rather than the metal s-clips used on the bottom rail of the older rads. The top and bottom rails are completely different between the the later rads (91-93) than the 1990 also (and for that matter the 89 & down).

I don't know if Chris is aware of the variety of styles out there. But when I was looking for one for my Daytona last year, I was offered a variety of rads by friends and none were the same or would fit. Then I found a new VNT rad a friend had.

I also had a hard time finding a shop to rebuild the old ones (because the plastic tanks are NS1), but finally found one and had my old VNT rad rebuilt with a new core and right hand tank (which they happened to have). Since the mounting tabs are molded into the right hand tanks on the later rads, those might be difficult to reproduce. Making repro rads for the 89 & down models may be fairly straight forward, while the 1990 and up will be most challenging.

I will try to get some pics and measurements of the ones I have.

Barry
    What if they make the earlier style rads work with both the early fans and the later ones? Basically a universal rad that will fit pre-90 and 90+ cars. Honestly, other than a show car, who cares if it looks exactly like the stock pieces. As long as it works with both setups, does its job, and fits in the stock location, isn't that more important?
    Not saying one radiator for all the cars, but one rad for each body style or if the same rad fit multiple body styles, that works too.
    Last edited by black86glhs; 05-28-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: To clarify
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    What if they make the earlier style rads work with both the early fans and the later ones? Basically a universal rad that will fit pre-90 and 90+ cars. Honestly, other than a show car, who cares if it looks exactly like the stock pieces. As long as it works with both setups, does its job, and fits in the stock location, isn't that more important?
    Not saying one radiator for all the cars, but one rad for each body style or if the same rad fit multiple body styles, that works too.
    There could never be a "one size fits all" radiator because the G/J-Body cores are wider then the L and P by about an inch. Mounting tabs and grommet pin locations also vary from model to model from what we have looked at. We haven't compared the 90 up cars yet.

We will need a minimum of 10 orders per model in order to get this going. From the looks of it so far there seems to be enough interest for us to pursue this. Keep posting ideas about upgrades so we can make these much better then factory units.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Chris, I understand they aren't all the same. I was saying would it be possible to make one that would fit the G, J, A bodies, one to fit the P bodies, and one for the L-bodies?
    Bryan

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What are they being made off?

I have a VNT rad here I can take pics off and measure.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Chris, I understand they aren't all the same. I was saying would it be possible to make one that would fit the G, J, A bodies, one to fit the P bodies, and one for the L-bodies?
    Once we have had an opportunity to compare them all we will do our best to limit the styles with the use of adapters and other extras incorporated in to each unit. This will increase the quantity of units produced which increase the chances that we will have these manufactured.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    What are they being made off?

I have a VNT rad here I can take pics off and measure.
    Thanks for the offer Simon. I think we have the VNT Shadow covered today and the Daytona version covered once the bee guy does his thing.

Re-read post #1 http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...26&postcount=1 :P

Chris-TU

Thanks for the offer Simon. I think we have the VNT Shadow covered today and the Daytona version covered once the bee guy does his thing.

Re-read post #1 http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...26&postcount=1 :P

Chris-TU
    Damn, I missed that part.

I would love one in aluminum for the van,

PS, answer my email,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

Definitely interested in one for an IROC R/T

Is that a G Body? Haven't voted in the poll yet.

I pulled mine out last night, but just dropped it off at the radiator shop so no pics until I get it back.

There is a slight chance he can get a replacement...but if not I need one yesterday!

TurboII

when is this going into production!!

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

That would be ideal IF it can be done. But the T-III fan is so much different and there is no place on the top rail on the core to bolt an older fan to. You really need to have a close look at some of these at SDAC this year. The pre-1990 ones should be easy. The 90+ not so much.

The 90+ are all molded plastic end tanks and the mounting points are on plastic wings molded into the end tank assembly. You can't even bolt an older stock intercooler to a newer rad and vice versa. Everything changed (cheaper) for the 90+.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'm in.

L body.

I like the idea of a built in oil cooler though.
    Not a trans cooler, an oil cooler. By that I mean 1/2" lines, not 3/8" - gotta flow freely.

Plumbing an oil cooler, independent of one built into the radiator, is a PITA in an L body.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    I'm in.

L body.

I like the idea of a built in oil cooler though.
    Not a trans cooler, an oil cooler. By that I mean 1/2" lines, not 3/8" - gotta flow freely.

Plumbing an oil cooler, independent of one built into the radiator, is a PITA in an L body.
    But for a decent oil cooler, it would take up the whole end tank, reducing capacity and efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    That would be ideal IF it can be done. But the T-III fan is so much different and there is no place on the top rail on the core to bolt an older fan to. You really need to have a close look at some of these at SDAC this year. The pre-1990 ones should be easy. The 90+ not so much.

The 90+ are all molded plastic end tanks and the mounting points are on plastic wings molded into the end tank assembly. You can't even bolt an older stock intercooler to a newer rad and vice versa. Everything changed (cheaper) for the 90+.

Barry
    Yeah, I would be interested in seeing the differences and trying to figure out if they can be combined for multiple years. I know it comes down to being able to do this for a reasonable price. I tend to think it can.
    Bryan

UPDATE:

Thanks to Vic (DOHCRT) here in Phoenix we believe we now have all the different Intercooled configurations available.

'86-'87 L-BodyTII
    '87-'89 P-Body TII and TIV
    '87-89 G/J/H-Body TII
    '90 VNT G-Body TIV
    '91 up G and A-Body TIII

We have an '87 radiator which appears to be identical to the installed '89 VNT unit which we had access to. Can someone confirm this for us so we don't have to pull the radiator out of the VNT car?

Thanks!

Chris-TU

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast