Thread: LSD weirdness...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

LSD weirdness...

No, I'm not on a bad "trip"... Or am I???

After installing my Super Bad-Azz, Double Throw-Down, 413 I bought 1/2 a lifetime ago from a board member, I find that the driver's side axle is SUPER hard to turn, while the passenger side freewheels. I am unfamiliar with the Quaife, I don't know if this is "normal" or needs adjustment, or is junk... Anyone have a clue they could sell me? I really would like to get past this as the GLH has been off-line for quite some time now and I was really looking forward to getting it on the road again with all the goodies I've accumulated, but it's just one issue after another, but this is the 1st that I just don't know how to proceed... Thanks in advance for any and all help with this thorn in my side!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Re: LSD weirdness...

is this while the axle is installed into the hub?

don't be holdin out on us man!
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Yes, I have both axles in the car, turning by both the hub and the axle itself (removed from the hub). One piece of almost irrelevant info is that the original axles from the auto conversion were non-L body and so were too long, shifting the engine to the extreme right (pass side). That was with a different auto trans. I did install the too long axle initially, but after noticing difficulty in turning the axle and the in ability to center the engine, I started to figure out the axle was wrong and replaced it with a new unit from AutoStoned, but I still have this "binding" on one side and free-wheeling on the other...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Don't worry about it, your just turning the gears etc inside.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Don't worry about it, your just turning the gears etc inside.
    That's kinda what I was thinking, but it wasn't smooth and the other side was free-wheeling, so I was concerned. Also, the resistance wasn't smooth/even, it was kinda "notchy", skipping from high to low resistance...

But, if this is "normal" I'll just install the axles and giver her a rip! I just don't want to destroy something that might have a minor issue that could be fixed...

Mike

- Edmund Burke

turbo addict

It's that you're just wierd
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

boostaholic

How easy did the axle slip in ? It's not binding in the extension housing is it ? I'd try loosing up the housing and see if that makes any differance. Seems to me it shouldn't be that hard to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by butchsuppe View Post
    How easy did the axle slip in ? It's not binding in the extension housing is it ? I'd try loosing up the housing and see if that makes any difference. Seems to me it shouldn't be that hard to turn.
    I might give that a try. It's the unevenness that bugs me. The axle slipped in fine, by the way...

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Sounds alright to me except for the 'notchiness' That could be in the axle I suppose... The Quaifes have a funky kinda feel to them, even moreso than the OBX'S IMO (I have both kinds on L bodies) My question is, how'd they make the Quaife work in the 413, was that one of the spacer group buy deals? Did all of those install/work without issues? I really didn't follow their progress very far cause auto's are for gazers (or the .5% of us who have REALLY fast drag cars)

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

I had a similar problem when I installed my OBX diff into my 555
    It turned out that the new diff wasn't shimmed correctly within the diff housing and the ring gear was rubbing against the the base of the tranny case and base bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I really didn't follow their progress very far cause auto's are for gazers (or the .5% of us who have REALLY fast drag cars)
    I've always known that I was special (Momma told me so ), but I never realized that I was in the top .5%!!! You just made my day Allen! Yes is does have the spacer, though I believe it was an early one that he built (or bought?).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    I had a similar problem when I installed my OBX diff into my 555. It turned out that the new diff wasn't shimmed correctly within the diff housing and the ring gear was rubbing against the the base of the tranny case and base bearing.
    I'll have to pull the diff cover and check that out. The previous owner said he had it running in his CSX so it should be all good on this point, but I'll check it anyway. It's true that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'll post back once it's on the road with a final analysis.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    The previous owner said he had it running in his CSX so it should be all good on this point
    That could just mean there is a nice big pretty groove worn in from the ring gear. Don't dismiss anything just because it was already "running"

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    That could just mean there is a nice big pretty groove worn in from the ring gear. Don't dismiss anything just because it was already "running"

DJ
    NO Doubt! I'll be removing the diff cover to check for "self clearancing".

Mike

- Edmund Burke