Thread: Metal in engine oil

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Metal in engine oil

I changed the oil in my 89 turbo van today and when I was pouring the old oil from my drain pan into a jug I noticed some shiny metal (silver) at the bottom of the pan. It was real sunny and I was able to see the spekles of metal. It looked like metallic in paint. The metal is very tiny pieces and if you rub it between fingers it fells like a paste. The engine has about 6K on it. I have done several oil changes prior to this because since I was tunning it I wanted to make sure there was no gas in the oil. This oil has been in the engine for about 3K. It was full synthetic valvoline I never noticed this before but it was also never sunny so if there was I never noticed it. I cut open the oil filter and I was not able to see any on the filter. The engine sounds fine other than some light piston knock (forged pistons) when the engine is cold. I have had several engines and machine work done by the person who built the engine and have never had any issues. A friend of mine who had an engine (5.0 ford) rebuilt by the same machine shop said he also noticed the same type of metal when he changed his oil. He has a few hundred miles on his engine.

Has anyone ever found any metal particles before?
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Metal in engine oil

How much glitter? If its really fine but throughout the oil so it looks more like funny color glitter paint than oil, you'll need bearings. If the oil looks clear with one or two specks of glitter here or there it might just be junk the machine shop didnt clean out? Either way check your oil frequently!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

My racebike does that but that's because the gearbox is part of the engine.

I would pull the valve cover and inspect the cam/bearings and rocker arms. If thats clean, I would pull the oil pan, it could be signs of a bearing starting to spin or touching the crank.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

I didnt notice any in the oil or even checking it in the dipstick. I noticed the metal at the bottom of the drain pan. It looked like flake in paint. It was all silver. There was enough to look like a light coat of metallic paint at the bottom of the drain pan. If it is bearings, wouldn't the metal be copper color, not silver since it has tri-metal bearings?

The strange part is I am not the only one with this issue which would make me believe it was metal from machining, but I would also think it would all be cleaned out by 6K.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

boostaholic

i think its probably break in but im not a professional or anything way i figure is pop the bottom end off and see what it looks like at least you dont have to pull the motor out

i came across this once.... in an old chevy dump truck... it ran pretty great IMO only thing i noticed is if memory serves correctly the oil seemed gassed down

ARP lube has a tendency to look like that on the bottom of the pan after some miles if you used a lot of it during assembly. It's a bit on the pasty side and has some twinkle in the sun.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    ARP lube has a tendency to look like that on the bottom of the pan after some miles if you used a lot of it during assembly. It's a bit on the pasty side and has some twinkle in the sun.
    very informative post

turbo addict

If the filter was clean I wouldn't worry.