Thread: Overheating...

boostaholic

Overheating...

I'm having overheating issues with my sundance. It seems to go to the 3/4 mark or a little more(what ever temp computer set to turn fan on) when at idle around town driving and while going up hills at highway speeds. When the fan kicks on, or I turn the fan on with a switch I installed it cools all of the way down to below half. If I leave the fan on it will never go above half. I'm using a t2 rad w/ a fmic directly in front. Do you think i'm restricting the airflow of my rad with my ic in the way or is my rad clogged or something (Didn't look bad, no fins missing/bent)? Or should I look elsewhere? Also using 180* thermostat w/hole drilled.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Hybrid booster

Re: Overheating...

Lol. That's pretty much every TD I've ever owned. All my fans are wired to come on with the ignition and run constantly. Is it still overheating with the fan running?
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Feel the bottom of the rad when it is hot and see if it is cold. It sounds like it is parially clogged. This is assuming nothing else is wrong with it.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

hookup a real gauge or a DRB and get an actual reading. Factory gauge isnt very accurate, my Shadow runs dead on 1/2 way on the highway. little more than i'd like but its done it since the day it was new.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Check the actual temp, if accurate, then its most likely the rad is plugged up. Per another thread, the TII rads aren't very good, especially with age.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by jl93sundance View Post
    I'm having overheating issues with my sundance. It seems to go to the 3/4 mark or a little more(what ever temp computer set to turn fan on) when at idle around town driving and while going up hills at highway speeds. When the fan kicks on, or I turn the fan on with a switch I installed it cools all of the way down to below half. If I leave the fan on it will never go above half. I'm using a t2 rad w/ a fmic directly in front. Do you think i'm restricting the airflow of my rad with my ic in the way or is my rad clogged or something (Didn't look bad, no fins missing/bent)? Or should I look elsewhere? Also using 180* thermostat w/hole drilled.
    Depending on how old the radiator is, I would suggest getting it checked for either plugged channels or leaks. Mine was leaking at the top on the corners and after I got it fixed, I haven't had any problems with it cycling up and down with temps. It does fluctuate, but gradually, not quickly like it was. I've even running just water right now, but will do a mix after I flush the system.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    hookup a real gauge or a DRB and get an actual reading. Factory gauge isnt very accurate, my Shadow runs dead on 1/2 way on the highway. little more than i'd like but its done it since the day it was new.
    Man, I'm sorry but I don't buy this argument. I've heard this before and so far I haven't had any issues with the accuracy of my gauge. I will admit that bad WIRING can give a bad indication, but I have yet to see a bad gauge with descent wiring. Not saying they aren't out there, but looking under hoods at the last car show people really should be looking at their wiring jobs rather than blaming computers, gauges, fuses, etc.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Man, I'm sorry but I don't buy this argument. I've heard this before and so far I haven't had any issues with the accuracy of my gauge. I will admit that bad WIRING can give a bad indication, but I have yet to see a bad gauge with descent wiring. Not saying they aren't out there, but looking under hoods at the last car show people really should be looking at their wiring jobs rather than blaming computers, gauges, fuses, etc.
    and there you have it. no two cars are the same and everyone of them can be different. like I said mine tends to indicate that its running more towards the hot side but having plugged the scanner into it and getting an actual readout. Its well within spec so I've come to the conclusion between getting the actual temp and following the testing procedures in the fsm that the particular gauge in my car isnt entirely accurate.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The fan isn't set to come on until the car gets pretty hot IMO. I think the stock setting in some of the cals is 227*. My shadow runs pretty hot compared to my omni, but it's set for pretty stock fan temps so that's to be expected. I would say it runs at 3/4 on the temp gauge when it's 85+ degrees out.

Hybrid booster

Ever figure out what the problem was Jim?
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.