Thread: Broke "T" Connector - Line From Intake to Throttle Body

Hybrid booster

Broke "T" Connector - Line From Intake to Throttle Body

After finding a loose hose (front side of intake) and broken check valve / orifice on the plastic lines / hoses leading to throttle body, I reconnected the intake hose and taped up the broken check valve / orifice with friction tape. This corrected the high idle condition and Code 25 error I was getting.

This morning when I tried to remove the friction tape to PVC glue the valve back together, the "T" connecting the intake hose and both ends of the harness / hose assembly leading back to the throttle body broke

I can't see any way to remove the broken "T" fitting that connected the harness / hose assembly together and the intake hose. The ends of the "T" connecting the bundle to the throttle body and the other side seem "fused" inside a the hard plastic hose. I was thinking about finding a similar fitting at an auto parts store but not sure how to proceed since I can't figure out how to remove the broken ends. Don't want to tug too hard and break additional lines.

Any thoughts? I can't find the PNs or diagram in my '86 shop manual but here's a pic of the damage:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken T on Bundle.gif 
Views:	107 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	14823  

Re: Broke "T" Connector - Line From Intake to Throttle Body

I would replace that mess with a vacuum block and new hoses, the old hard lines will just keep on
    cracking.

Hybrid booster

I thought that may be the best way to go. I've never replaced a set-up like this though.

Can anyone let me know where to get parts and shoot me a diagram / pic how to proceed?

Thanks.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Vacuum diagram should be under the hood if it is the original engine in the car? Local auto parts stores should have vacuum line and connectors

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

this is how I did it on my car before I got a vac block. I cut out all the emissions stuff

Yours might be a little different, but it should be similar
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Hybrid booster

Straight out of the manifold to the PCV with no check valve / orifice? Seems easy enough.

I got one end of the broken "T" that connects to the check valve (manifold hose) out but it slightly cracked the end of the hose. I got another part of the "T" out of the hard hose that goes back to the throttle body (but cracked that hose end too). I was thinking if I can get both pieces of the hard hose off the line running to the throttle body, I could find new hose and a new "T" and use a small hose clamp on each end if needed.

Problem is that hose has turned to hard brittle plastic. Not sure if I can remove the short pieces on the main line to the throttle body.

Thanks to all for the help / comments. Will keep you posted.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the tips gentlemen. That damn hose was so hard I thought part of the "T" was the end of the hose. Once I warmed the hose ends up by leaving them dunked in cups of hot water (only got burned twice!), the ends of the hose came loose enough for me to cut them off the broken "T."

I was able to find some Ts and some vacuum hose (same ID, a little smaller OD) at AutoZone that fit and got it back together. Going for a trial run, once the PVC dries on the check valve.