Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 86 C/S T-top Restoration

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Re: 86 C/S T-top Restoration

Its not looking good for SDAC. Might be bringing a stock SRT4 instead. The week has been way too hot and humid to shoot color. If it was a solid color I could work with it (color sand) but the metallic is a spray and hope for the best type of deal. The two holes for the rear pentastar are getting filled so I can use my CS emblem (blue accents will match) as I it didn't come with a pentastar. I debated on filling the front one, but it will remain. Here are some new pics:

Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

boostaholic

Are you shooting the bumpers with the same primer your shooting the whole body?

Quote Originally Posted by spoolinhard View Post
    Are you shooting the bumpers with the same primer your shooting the whole body?
    yup. its epoxy.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

You're not going to take the moldings and plastic off before you paint it?

That's a nice looking car, and with all the work you're putting into it, you should paint it right.

Don't rush to get it to sdac and regret it later.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by J&H Ryan View Post
    yup. its epoxy.
    Are you adding any flex agent to the bumpers?

Quote Originally Posted by MNmopar View Post
    You're not going to take the moldings and plastic off before you paint it?

That's a nice looking car, and with all the work you're putting into it, you should paint it right.

Don't rush to get it to sdac and regret it later.
    I'm not taking the upper T-top trim off, but the doors and fender trim is off. Same with marker lights, headlight surrounds, hood grille, ect.

If I wanted to paint it right, I wouldn't be doing it myself

This car is mostly a practice run for painting my GTC. A little harder since its metallic, but thats ok.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolinhard View Post
    Are you adding any flex agent to the bumpers?
    What usually happens is that if I'm hit, the damage requires repainting the bumper anyway, but yes, it will be added.

All and all, I'm more concerned with the windshield being replaced than some aspects of the paint job. Its cracked and nobody I've called will either replace the trim or the glass is not available...
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

boostaholic

It makes a difference. you will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by J&H Ryan View Post

The has the sweeps as well, for a non-t-top car, which can be very easily modified with a hacksaw to work. Basically, the T-top cars just had an approx. 1x1" section removed.
    Car is looking good but I wanted to help you out on this part mentioned above. The full frame door sweeps are not too long, they are too short

The T-top one is on the top and the full door one is on the bottom.

The one end is the same the other end needs to be cut to allow for the rubber block that is screwed in as an end cap to the open end of the door.

I ended up buying 3 full door sweeps and splicing a small one right behind the mirror. I cut the at a 45 angle so it would be harder to see. It is hidden very well behind the mirror and you have to open the door and look from the inside out to see it. By moving the full door sweep back about two inches I had to relocate all the felt rub strips which were no problem, then drill new mounting holes.

All in all it turned out very well and you would have to look hard to figure it out. I also sell NOS T-top seals if you need some.

Shelbymopar89:

Well shoot. I guess I'll have to do something similar. May see if I have enough undamaged section on what I have to get the last couple inches behind the mirror. I may end up redoing the T-tops seals, but for the meantime they are in good condition and do not leak.

$280 for a new windshield, installed, but they sound like they know what they're doing. Ouch.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Pics with color. The clear is done too - about 6 coats, though I expect to sand 1-2 off. I'll post pics of the clear after I wetsand.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Looks spectacular, I'd be very happy to have done a job that nice!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wow nice car. If you need parts let me know my stupid ttop c/s daytona is getting parted soon

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Looks spectacular, I'd be very happy to have done a job that nice!
    Got some imperfections in the clear (those pics are just color, no clear yet) but it should sand out ok.

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    wow nice car. If you need parts let me know my stupid ttop c/s daytona is getting parted soon
    Thanks - I might be interested in the t-top trim and some seals depending on what they destroy when the put the new windshield in.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Ok sounds good let me know

Hybrid booster

I like the thread.
    I hope to start a similiar one when I start working on my 84 Turbo Z.
    I keep switching my mind whether I just want to have a nice looking driver, or something else such as a drag car.

boostaholic

Whoot! You have a goldmine with those T-Top parts! Those have been NS1 for A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time!
    I am gonna give you some advice though. The T Top Daytona is known for being the hardest windshield install out there. I have done many in my day and they are tough due to all the custom trim. Be careful with that trim as it was brittle when new and i'm sure now that its old its worse. We used to get over $1k to do a windshield install on those back in the day.
    Make sure if you do replace it, get someone good and not Safelite.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

Clocktowersniper speaks the truth.

I had my windshield done by a local place for $260 and was not standing directly over the ------- and regret it everyday. They destroyed every single trim piece on the car and when I confronted the owner of the shop about it. I got a nice reply of "Oh well its a t-top car you supposed to assume all the trim will be destroyed and buy new"

Thanks ------- had I known you were going to break parts I would have left the cracked windshield in there.

Garrett booster

The car is coming along nicely Some great work! I'll be referencing this when I decide to redo my seals (mine is the red t-top in the first post you used for comparison). Can't wait to see it when it's done

Quote Originally Posted by 86redturboz View Post
    The car is coming along nicely Some great work! I'll be referencing this when I decide to redo my seals (mine is the red t-top in the first post you used for comparison). Can't wait to see it when it's done
    If any of you guys have questions on how to do anything feel free to hit me up. So far I have done around 10 cars for people, as far as installing door seals and T-top seals.

Hybrid booster

Looking good. Can't wait to see the blue on it too.

I've started mine aswell
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41157
    I didn't have the nerve to try it myself though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast