Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 86 C/S T-top Restoration

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

86 C/S T-top Restoration

As recieved:

I'll use this thread to update (and motivate) this project. I want to start out with a question - what is your opinion on the beltline stripe. See the difference between these two cars:

(pictures used under the assumption that the owners would be ok with them reposted for this purpose)

Which looks better - painted or not? I think it looks better painted (with the added bonus of me not having to mask and pinstripe), and will likely leave it silver, with the option of adding the black and red, but wanted to hear thoughts.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Re: 86 C/S T-top Restoration

I prefer stock unpainted, break up the color a little bit.

Hybrid booster

I prefer the painted. Have you thought about doing the pinstripe blue on a silver car? Or are you changinging the colour to red?

Mine is a black car so it's all black already. It's going all gloss black (incl the trim) and keeping the gold accents. I was supposed to paint it this spring, but job troubles have mine on hold.

The window trim on a Coupe is a whole different animal.
    The T-top beltline hides a bunch of nastiness.You could 2 tone them to mimic the coupe though.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

SWEET NEW WALL PAPERS! The silver imho should have had black where the red is.. better accent color.

Hybrid booster

I always thought that on the turbo z, t-top mirrors looked better than hardtop mirrors. I love the silver 86 c/s very nice. Want to sell it? LOL. I say keep things stock.

Quote Originally Posted by banger68 View Post
    I prefer the painted. Have you thought about doing the pinstripe blue on a silver car? Or are you changinging the colour to red?
    I was going to do the stripe and CS badges (tail ones as well I suppose) in a bright blue, even before your post I swear. I'm sticking with Silver with the car, despite the fact that metallic is harder to spray. I'm leaving the fascias on the car when painting so all the flakes fall at the same angle and doesn't look like the bumpers are a different color. This saves me some time, but the pita factor with getting the side sections of the wing off make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    The window trim on a Coupe is a whole different animal.
    The T-top beltline hides a bunch of nastiness.You could 2 tone them to mimic the coupe though.
    Maybe I used the wrong term, I mean the plastic trim that wraps around the car that is black with a red stripe in it.

Where I'm at today:

edit: I'm not sure how large photobucket is going to make this, but notice it says C/S Handling package and then "Shelby" on the next line. I thought C/S was Competition Series, nothing to do with Shelby for 86. It is the factory sticker, unless the dealer was allowed to (incorrectly) modify it.

Last edited by J&H Ryan; 05-19-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

AHH !!!the nastiness revealed!!! As pristine as that car looks. I might just refresh the stock scheme. at this age those beltline strips become fragile. careful with them. they usually break at the mounting tabs.
    I have a trick for repair if you need it

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    AHH !!!the nastiness revealed!!! As pristine as that car looks. I might just refresh the stock scheme. at this age those beltline strips become fragile. careful with them. they usually break at the mounting tabs.
    I have a trick for repair if you need it
    Lol, yeah, it looks like a sawsall was the main tool in this conversion. Everything is still sharp.

Whats this repair of which you speak? The tabs fell off as I was taking the screws out, didnt get to move them even. Was going to order new ones from Martin K.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

turbo addict

this car is going to be sweet!
    well it already is

turbo addict

Wow your brave taking those hockey strips off. I think blue in the belt line would look pretty good. Man 20 and 24 for mpg even with an auto. Those are pretty good numbers. I think my 86 Turbo Z that I had had in high school average about 18, but it was pretty hilly on the road I had to take to work. Looks like your moving right along!
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by J&H Ryan View Post
    I was going to do the stripe and CS badges (tail ones as well I suppose) in a bright blue, even before your post I swear. I'm sticking with Silver with the car.
    I think it would look sharp with the blue and silver. You are definately giving me the itch with this thread. I'm staying black & gold but maybe a brighter/deeper gold.

Quote Originally Posted by J&H Ryan View Post
    edit: I'm not sure how large photobucket is going to make this, but notice it says C/S Handling package and then "Shelby" on the next line. I thought C/S was Competition Series, nothing to do with Shelby for 86. It is the factory sticker, unless the dealer was allowed to (incorrectly) modify it.
    In 86 the C/S stood for Shelby. I have my window sticker too and the dealer brochure. The 88+ stood for Competition Series I guess because there was already a Shelby version. This has been debated several times over the years. 86 was the only year the C/S was on a fully optioned car not the stripped down versions of 88+.

Hybrid booster

http://www.dempseybowling.com/sheldodg/sheldodd.htm

A link you might find interesting.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by banger68 View Post

Excellent - and yes, very good breakdown. Those swaybars do make a big difference when it comes to fun in the twisties.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Hybrid booster

I was looking at one of these cars yesterday, for sale for $1100, with a bunch of extra parts. It had a 2.2 T1 log intake motor with a 5 speed. 148K on the clock. The color was black, with no A/C. It would be a sweatbox for sure!

The 'hockey stick' door trim on the passenger side was broken.....how hard is that to find? The window scrapers on both doors (the rubber piece on the outside bottom of the side window) were trash. Can they be replaced with new? Where would I find stuff like that? The driver's seat was pretty bad too, I guess a seatcover would deal with that.

What would you guys offer for the car? Is $1100 fair? (spare motor and a CSX intercooler thrown in)
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

turbo addict

I bought mine on ebag for more than double the 1100 asking price. Of course, the economy wasn't in the tank at the time.

There are a number of non-stock options out there for window felts including some from JC Whitney and some from a GM f-body (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33106)

I didn't know the C/S stood for Shelby at all. I was always told it was competition sport. Very interesting.

Looking good on the work. Nice to see one that isn't red.

I'd also like to know the fix for the broken tabs as I broke several of mine installing new window felts.

This is curtesy of BIGBRUDDA in a PM he sent me so thank him:

Get either 18 guage steel or aluminum angle.(avail at home depot)
    3/4x3/4x 40
    At an HVAC supply get contact cement for foam rubber insulation( RUBATEX or ARMSTRONG) comes in a 1/2 pint can, about $7 {looks like Gorilla snot}Follow instructions on can, don't breath the vapors.
    Trim the angle to fit behind the broken tabs. then glue the whole piece in.Drill the angle for #8 sm screw, at the old tab location. It's stronger than before.
    Be sure to align your windows before replacing the inner door panel.I like to repad the felt slippers on the glass too.The window should seal inside the rubber lip. if you pour water on the top it should drain from each end of the top glass. On to the door glass about 3/4in from the top edge.
    Patience man ,T-tops are like owning thoroubred finicky but way cool on sunny days.

Somethin I just remembered. That push tab fastener at the front of the trim. It's only good Once,and I've never found a glue that held another in place.
    I broke down and drilled the trim,(#8sheet metal screw) and countersunk the hole. Then put an insert(LOWES) in the door hole.
    The reason being, that trim will vibrate and eventually crack&brake. Even highway speed wind will do it. A carwash would be suicide.
    Good luck (mah t-top brutha)!
    As far as the hockey sticks if you dont want to use the method above (as I will try) Martin at Arizona parts has them. The has the sweeps as well, for a non-t-top car, which can be very easily modified with a hacksaw to work. Basically, the T-top cars just had an approx. 1x1" section removed.

As far as price, I paid $2500 for this example, it is rust free, has every option (unfortunately that includes the auto, but a 525 would have had to be swapped out eventually anyway), the interior is good with the exception of the drivers bolster. Was it a great deal? No, not really, but I wanted a good solid platform for a resto instead of having to spend time on rust and other worn out pieces. It runs and drives nice, could use a motor mount and has a miss, and the A/C is inop, though the PO said it did work a year ago, so possibly just a slow leak.

Hoping to paint it this week!
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Hybrid booster

Here's the sale add: I thought the pics would copy, but they didn't!

'86 Dodge Daytona Turbo-Z C/S Shelby Edition - $1100 (Vancouver/Salmon Creek)
    Reply to: sale-99fcy-1217554852@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Date: 2009-06-11, 10:34PM PDT

'86 Daytona Turbo-Z 5-speed. This is the rare C/S edition, which stands for"Carroll Shelby". It's a special edition that had heavy duty brakes, sway bars and suspension components as well as lighter weight than regular models.
    It was bought as a project to build with my son as his first car, but he's not taking the time to put into it, so it's up for sale.

Car is in pretty good shape overall. Body is solid, no rust, just a few door dings. Has T-tops with the original bags to store the roof panels. It runs and drives, but since it's been sitting in the garage, the brakes have stopped working correctly.

It's being sold as a project car. Has new battery, new shocks and struts, fresh tune-up, power windows, power locks, power seat, black leather interior, cruise control, Shelby "crab" style wheels, new Grant GT steering wheel..........has a custom made front air dam as well.

Car also comes with a lot of extra parts, including an extra '88 turbo engine with 80k miles on it, including both manifolds and turbo......and also comes with a spare automatic transaxle as well.

Asking $1,100 OBO........willing to deal.

Any questions, fel free to ask, I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Rusty
    360-601-2994
    rustyntiffany@comcast.net

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 1217554852-0 image 1217554852-1
    image 1217554852-2 image 1217554852-3
    PostingID: 1217554852

* Copyright © 2009 craigslist, inc.
    Last edited by Spraynlog; 06-14-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: adding
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Sound s like it needs some work. check the floor pan . T-tops are the worst rusters(roof leakage) they get it inside and out.
    Don't tangle with a T-top unless you've restocked on patience. And really enjoy the "Don Johnson" affect.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast