Thread: JB weld on head???

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

JB weld on head???

ok so im ready to do the #4 coolant mod

was going to try n find a 1" NPT tap and take care of it, but i since grinded the threads off the fittin in hopes of rather welding it on there.

i brought it to the machinist and he told me he would rather bake the head, and heat it to 375 so when he welds it, it wont shock or stress the head. so of course id have to dissamble the head which id rather not. the valve seals will melt, and if i remove all the valve train, i can almost bet that some seats will fall out too

is it safe to cold weld the an fittin on the head??

i was also considering JB weld, so i was wondering what of experiences some of you may have had with this stuff and using it on aluminum. will it be able to take the constant temperatures of the head, as well as expand with the head when it heats...or is the shiiiit just gonna crack n leak, or melt off?

turbo addict

Re: JB weld on head???

i used JB weld to fill a crack in my head that was leaking oil onto spark plug #3 but as the JB weld held up for the 5 days and then the head cracked more so it is now leaking coolant. but today I will check how the JB Weld held up and let you know

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I used the pipe bushing(1" to 3/4" reducing bushing) and cut the threads in the opening with it. I went a little more than half way with the bushing before I stopped. I put on teflon pipe sealant(paste, not tape) and mine holds no problem. It takes a little to get it started, but once it got going, it was a tight seal. I think I had to open the freeze plug hole a little with a carbide bit to help get it started. Making it cone shaped like NPT is.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

your machinist could easily cold weld it, or even just torch the area a little...just have the surface checked (or resurface) after you're done...of course keep in mind that you probably don't want the an fitting hanging off the bottom of the water box

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    your machinist could easily cold weld it, or even just torch the area a little...just have the surface checked (or resurface) after you're done...of course keep in mind that you probably don't want the an fitting hanging off the bottom of the water box
    ty! yes i didnt think it sounded unreasonable....im sure that he would just rather prefer doing it the most proper way. time is $$$$ lol

i just want it done fast, and cheap!