Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1990 Dakota 2.5L 5 speed FS!

1990 Dakota 2.5L 5 speed FS!

*sold*

Well I'm about to get my turbo mini on the road, so the dakota sadly has to go. I've owned it now for 2 years and turned it from a heap to a nice daily driver. It's a 1990 Red Dakota club cab short bed 5 speed with a 2.5 TBI.
    The truck itself has like 188K miles on it, but the engine has like 140K because it was replaced by me at 182K with an engine that had 134K on it. The engine is from another Dakota, 2.5 TBI engine all stock. It runs good, it's my daily driver so to speak, and it makes a great runaround vehicle to pick stuff up. Everything works, it has 134a A/C, newer alternator, and I installed an underdrive pulley so it had custom belt sizes.
    Here's the fun part, I had Turbo's Unleashed custom make me a 6 puck with blue plate for it! So honestly this thing is ready for some RWD turbo action!
    Things I replaced within the last 2 years I've owned it (what I can think of right now anyway)
    Paint Job
    Clutch
    Front rotors and pads
    All 4 shocks
    Tail lights
    Exhaust (no cat, 2.25'' with cherry bomb in place of cat and turbo muffler)
    Tires (205/75/15 futura Dakota's, nice tires that last long and have good traction)
    Hurst shift knob
    Alternator
    A/C compressor
    coil
    Fuel pump (bosch)
    Rear axle seals (major PITA, but now it's done for you)
    And I have the rear shoes but they aren't installed yet

The only rust I've found is on the fender there which I got a pic of. Overall the truck is a great daily driver, it's not perfect but not crap either. I really hate to sell it, I've hauled a fridge and stove in the bed, and even pulled the 1800 pound popup camper you see in the one pic three hours away and it hauled it great for only being a 99 hp engine. It has good torque.

OK now for the only not so great thing. The headgasket could use a changing. It seeps a little, and also the spark plug holes in the head are almost stripped VIA the previous owner of this engine. BUT, I have a replacement head for you if you want it. I honestly just don't have time to change it. BUT PLEASE don't let this scare you, the truck is completely driveable anywhere, the coolant just leaks a hair out the front of the block and it's very slow leak, it does NOT mix with the oil or vice versa. I've been driving the truck for 2 years and 6000 miles now with the same leak. I fill the coolant like once every couple months it's such a slow leak, and like I said I towed my popup camper with this three hours away!!! I would not hesitate one second to drive it to california tomorrow, just make sure the fluids are full and you're good to go.

I believe this truck is well worth my asking price of $1200, I paid $1200 just to have the paint job and a couple dents and stuff fixed. I'm not in a huge hurry to sell, but the inspection is up at the end of May and I didn't really want to put the money into it for that. The only thing that I know of why it wouldn't pass right now is the rear shoes, which when I get a spare hour or two sometime they will be installed.

The truck typically gets around 20 MPG, which is an average with 75% city driving. I've gotten a low of 18 and a high of 25 MPG with all highway. Towing the camper I got 16-17 MPG on the highway, not bad IMO hauling a camper that weighs over half what the truck does LOL.

OK here's the pics, any questions feel totally free to ask. (please not I haven't had a spare minute to even clean it up for the pics, so don't hold that against me cuz it cleans up decent). Also don't mind the bird poop, I park below a tree in my driveway

Last edited by moparzrule; 01-22-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: 1990 Dakota 2.5L 5 speed FS!

Ohhhhhhh, yours is FI and has a/c, mine is a 88, carb, no a/c, yuck. Same colour,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Yes A/C is the best feature for sure and it blows nice and cold, but still no power steering....Honestly no p/s is not that big of deal.

Pic of the underdrive pulley-

Hybrid booster

Dude....the under drive pulley is probably not even worth it. BUT that truck is awesome!!! I want to see a turbo2 Intercooled t3/t4 dakota!.....Why hasn't anyone done it????

Quote Originally Posted by SpoolinGLH View Post
    Dude....the under drive pulley is probably not even worth it. BUT that truck is awesome!!! I want to see a turbo2 Intercooled t3/t4 dakota!.....Why hasn't anyone done it????
    Actually it's VERY worth it, mostly because of the A/C though. Before the A/C would really drag it down, now you can barely notice thats it's on.

There was a guy that had a Holset HX35 on a dakota with a 2.2L in it and custom intake/exhaust manifolds, making like 320 RWHP I believe. He was also running standalone electronics, which would be much easier.

Had some time today and installed those rear shoes...now it stops better and the E-brake holds better, yay

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    Actually it's VERY worth it, mostly because of the A/C though. Before the A/C would really drag it down, now you can barely notice thats it's on.

There was a guy that had a Holset HX35 on a dakota with a 2.2L in it and custom intake/exhaust manifolds, making like 320 RWHP I believe. He was also running standalone electronics, which would be much easier.
    I think you're talking about Mike Radowski. He was telling me about his Holset powered Dakota the other day, unless there was another.

Nice truck...

yea mike had the holset powered dakota. nice truck, blew the rear and then welded the diff. he wanted 1500$, he ended up parting it out im pretty sure

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    yea mike had the holset powered dakota. nice truck, blew the rear and then welded the diff. he wanted 1500$, he ended up parting it out im pretty sure
    The standalone setup he had on it was nearly worth that, hard to believe that was his asking price. Plus he had completely custom intake and exhaust manifolds.

Ahh just looked it up on TD, he wanted $2500 originally for it with it needing '' oil pump, bearings, and a polishing of the crank''. I guess he didn't sell it, and then he fixed that stuff, thats when he wanted $1500 BUT because the standalone was having issues and he says '' It runs and drives just like it should for ~20 min then the standalone starts dropping cylinders''

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/...bo-dakota.html

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/...ta-1500-a.html

so like i said 1500$ then he parted it, i know he parted it because part of my exhaust custom downpipe came from the stainless exhaust that he had on the dakota that he had left over

so like i said 1500$ then he parted it, i know he parted it because part of my exhaust custom downpipe came from the stainless exhaust that he had on the dakota that he had left over
    Yeah my point was $1500 for a non-driveable vehicle.

i almost bought it for 1500$, it was still a good deal.

i almost bought it for 1500$, it was still a good deal.
    Yeah for the parts mostly. Buying a new standalone system would set you back a good bit though, or trying to convert it to SMEC would have been quite a PITA. Every single wire would have to be lengthened or shortened, pretty much fabricating an entire harness yourself. Yuck, I hate electrical work.

turbo addict

That thing is just BEGGING for a turbo swap.......and it would be sooooo easy! How much does it weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    That thing is just BEGGING for a turbo swap.......and it would be sooooo easy! How much does it weigh?
    I was actually thinking a 16v swap would be the easiest, wouldn't require fabrication of the manifolds.
    Not sure on the weight, but I would guess around 3000. It weighs less than the minivan because sometimes I just push the cars around in my driveway instead of starting them and the mini I can barely move but the truck moves easier.

Anybody interested at all?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    Anybody interested at all?
    I would say that I was interested, but then I remember I dont have any money.

boostaholic

+1 i saw that truck in person its waaay better than my truck...

would you take a trade? ive got a few options lol

Quote Originally Posted by thefitisgay View Post
    +1 i saw that truck in person its waaay better than my truck...

would you take a trade? ive got a few options lol
    Haha yeah pretty much same old same old from turbo dodge guys haha

Don't really have a need for any trades, the reason for selling is so I have 1 less vehicle on the insurance policy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast