Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OMNI manual rack woes - Ideas?

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Re: OMNI manual rack woes - Ideas?

Alright, so I was thinking of ordering the flaming river unit, but I'm pretty sure it comes with the 26 spline input shaft.....so I just may need that coupler you have.

This is getting to be a real pita.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

With that flaming river coupler I have, you "could" just cut the splined side off your original coupler... but that coupler is pretty much irreplaceable, not sure you want to ruin it completely. The FR coupler is nice because it isn't staked. If you de-stake it and press it apart it shouldn't be ruined...
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    With that flaming river coupler I have, you "could" just cut the splined side off your original coupler... but that coupler is pretty much irreplaceable, not sure you want to ruin it completely. The FR coupler is nice because it isn't staked. If you de-stake it and press it apart it shouldn't be ruined...
    I wouldn't mess with my manual rack coupler. I still have the stock power steering coupler that I could add the FR end to.

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

Well, I got lucky and ordered the "unavailable" Advance Auto rack, and it came in and is correct. I say "unavailable" because their system showed 1 in stock and it said it was "unavailable". The nice people at my local store ordered it anyway and it came in.

Here is some other info I found though.

Flaming River makes an L-body manual rack, but the input shaft is 9/16" 26 spline, instead of 9/16" 17 spline with a flat that makes it 13 splines left.

Flaming river makes a coupler for the 9/16" 26 spline input shaft that you can use the end of and add it to your old coupler.

Flaming River makes a 3/4"DD coupler that *may* replace your entire factory coupler. I gave them dimensions of my stock coupler and they *think* that the 3/4"DD coupler will work. Order the longest one and cut to fit.

Flaming River has new outer tie rods to go with the rack for $19.99 a PAIR from Summit. For comparison, the TRW outer tie rods I bought from Advance were $29.99 A PIECE and were made in Ch*na.

Unisteer (Mavalgear) has a direct replacement L-body rack brand new. But it also has the 9/16" 26 spline shaft, which the guy on the phone swore up and down was the only input shaft that the L-bodies ever came with (wrong).

I hope this info comes in handy. Maybe someone can order all this stuff up and see if it works sometime. I would have loved to have done the leg work, but I'm running out of time before SDAC.

Here is some emails with more info:

Dear James,
    Depending upon the age of the rack,and withouit being there to actually look at the rack,it's hard for us to say wether the rack has a 17,or 26 spline count on the input shaft,however, if there are upwards of 20 splines before the "flat", then we would say that this shaft is a 26 spline.

Best Regards,
    Tech Dept.
    Flaming River Ind.
    800-648-8022

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Subject: RE: #FR1507-2
    Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:31:59 -0400

Dear James,
    Since you have counted 13 splines, and the input shaft has a "flat" on it,the input shaft will be a 9/16X26 spline shaft.
    The FR1507-2 Omni rack is 45" in length,with the 9/16X26 splined input shaft, however, the input shaft length is 1 1/2" up from the seal,and this would be the longest input shaft that we would have to offer.

Best Regards,
    Tech Dept.
    Flaming River Ind.
    800-648-8022

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:58 PM
    To: tech-support
    Subject: #FR1507-2

I’m looking for an Omni rack with the 13 spline count input shaft that is about .555” O.D. and has a flat milled on it. The 13 tooth teeth count is not including the teeth that are missing due to the flat. It would have a few more teeth if there was no flat. The input shaft should stick out of the rack about 3.75” from the seal. The OAL should be 45”. Would this be what I’m looking for? I’m inquiring about part number FR1507-2. Would this be what I’m looking for?

Thank you,

James Reeves

Dear James,
    The input shaft length up from the dust seal is 1 5/8",while the dimension up from the bottom of the footmount is 6".
    The diameter,and spline count of the input shaft is a, 9/16X26 spline,as this is the most common, however, some of the stock Omni racks had a 17 spline count.
    Unfortunatley, we do not have a close up picture of the input shaft that we can send to you though.

Best Regards,
    Tech Dept.
    Flaming River Ind.
    800-648-8022

Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 11:40 AM
    Subject: RE: Omni manual steering rack

Did you receive my pictures OK?

Can you send pics of the input shaft if possible. Also pictures of the rack FR1507-2. Especially the input shaft area.
    I'm wondering if the input shaft seal area of the new rack is longer than my old rack. Can you get a dimension from the bottom of the mounting tabs to the top of the input shaft? I'll see if mine is the same.

Thanks so much for all your help.

James Reeves

Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:38:49 -0400

Dear James,
    We're not sure why this shaft is configured this way to be honest, however, we can also supply you 3/4DD shafting if need be.
    The shafts are available in 10,18,22,and 36" lengths, and may be cut to fit.

Best Regards,
    Tech Dept.
    Flaming River Ind.
    800-648-8022

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 11:32 PM
    To: 'tech-support@flamingriver.com'

It has two “half rounds” and two “flats” The flats measure about .525” from flat to flat. The rounds measure about .750” half round to half round. There is a spring thing that I guess is for anti-rattle. It measures .665” from flat to spring thing. Overall length including knuckle is 9.5” The knuckle is about 2.5” long and the shaft going to the knuckle is about 7” long. I have a couple of pictures if that will help.

From: tech-support [mailto:tech-support@flamingriver.com]
    Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 9:20 AM
    To: Reeves, James

Dear James,

Yes, we should be able to supply you with either a straight coupler, or a u-joint,however, we'll need to know what size the shafting is coming down to the rack that is in the car now,in order to quote you a part number.

Best Regards,

Tech Dept.

Flaming River Ind.

800-648-8022

Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 7:23 PM

Do you have a coupler to fit this?

Thanks much for all your help!

James Reeves

Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:16 AM

Dear James,

We would recommend using the FR1507-2 Omni rack, which is 45" long in overall length,with the standard length pinion shaft.

Best Regards,

Tech Dept.

Flaming River Ind.

800-648-8022

Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 5:57 PM

On your site you mention 2 different input shaft lengths. Which one do I need for an Omni?

Also, what length rack do I need for my Omni? I’m currently running just a stock manual rack and would like to replace it with one of your new heavy duty units.

Thanks much!

James Reeves

Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:40 PM

Dear James,

Our Omni rack is based upon a stock Omni rack,however, the input shafts on some of the stock Omni's were a 17 spline,and we do not carry this size coupler/u-joint.

The input shaft on our Omni rack is a 9/16X26 spline,with the passenger side housing diameter being 1 3/4" for the passenger side mounting clamp,which we also offer if needed.

The racks are offered in either a 45",or a 41 5/8ths overall length.

Normally, our Omni rack is a direct replacement for a stock Omni rack.

Best Regards,

Tech Dept.

Flaming River Ind.

800-648-8022

Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 11:03 AM
    Subject: Omni manual steering rack

Hello,
    I have a 86 Dodge Omni GLH that I drag race. Recently, my old junkyard manual steering rack had a bushing fall out causing all kinds of wheel play. For a quick fix at the track, we shoved the bushing back in and crimped down the end of the tube so it couldn’t come back out.
    I see that you offer an Omni style rack for street rods and fords. Will this actually fit a Dodge Omni, or is it changed at all? I am considering purchasing one of these if I can bolt it in and go in my Omni.
    Also, will the factory bushing mount work with this mount or is the O.D. of the new rack different?
    Thanks much!
    James Reeves

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

Got it all finished. I found a rack from Advance and installed it. I also found 3 more OMNI racks available (used) to do your conversions with.

Harper Auto Salvage
    1-800-405-3117

They have (2) of them for $35 each! Good deal!

Portland, TN ??FR??
    1-800-521-6361

They have (1) of them for $50. Not bad! I can't remember their name.

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12