Thread: Lets talk rods.

boostaholic

Lets talk rods.

Over the weekend I toasted a set of Wiseco's, Needed gas going on a cruise thought it would be wise to use 89 octane since I didnt plan on any spirited driving, EHHHHH on the way home I played with a Saleen Mustang and was kicking arse till I noticed smoke in the rear view, Blew a headgasket ok no biggie I pull the head and all 4 cylinders are mared up and the top edges of the pistons are chewed up as well.

So now im looking to rebuild a block that is currently at the shop being worked on. I'd like to use the rods that are in my junk block but I think that if im going threw all this extra work why not (it's only money right) so Im looking for a good rod under 500 to go good with another set of wiseco's.

So give me your thoughts and help a guy out

turbo addict

Re: Lets talk rods.

huh Huh huh he said "RODS"
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

turbo addict

What are your power goals? Im pretty sure the stock rods are good to over 300hp

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bradp View Post
    huh Huh huh he said "RODS"
    I was thinking the same thing.

Regarding the actual content of the post though, I don't see much of a reason to go with anything more than well preped TII rods unless you are planning on 400+HP. I don't know if he is still using them, but didn't Reeves use TII rods very reliably over 400HP for the longest time? I believe others have too.

boostaholic

Thanks the ones I have are the oil cooled T-2's with the ARP rod bolts. I imagine they are still good I'll find out once I pull them. As for power goals I am close to the 300 that I origanally hoped for I think but never got it dynoed. I guess this is all alittle early as I dont know the condition of the current rods but I wanted alittle more insight

Hybrid booster

You just made a mistake running the regular. I'd save the $$$ stick with TII rods who cares what shape those are in just grab some more if you need them. Save your $500 for a custom plenum or something cooler

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Is this daily driven?
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I would either go Eagles or TU's K1 rods. They are lighter than stock and will take anything you can throw at it. By the time you got stock rods redone and ARP's installed, your most of the way there.

BTW, get your engine balanced, you'll thank me later,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

under 500hp, TII rods FTW! Don't waste your money on expensive rods that you don't need. I'm putting down >400hp @ 30psi on stock TIII rods with over 180K on them. Others have put down >500whp on stock rods.

my .02$
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 85daytona View Post
    You just made a mistake running the regular. I'd save the $$$ stick with TII rods who cares what shape those are in just grab some more if you need them. Save your $500 for a custom plenum or something cooler
    And one I wish I didnt do but at the same time I didnt think I'd be playing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Is this daily driven?
    Yes and no. I want it to be reliable enough to go out and drive when ever I want BUT I also like being able to go beat on it alittle then park it and sometimes cruise

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I would either go Eagles or TU's K1 rods. They are lighter than stock and will take anything you can throw at it. By the time you got stock rods redone and ARP's installed, your most of the way there.

BTW, get your engine balanced, you'll thank me later,
    Yeah Adam has taken the crank to the machine shop to have them cut it for the block, Im pulling the rods this weekend and taking a peek at them, Im thinking they should be okay

turbo addict

I remember seeing Titanium rods advertise from MP or Shelby Performance in a hot rod mag from back in the day when I was a kid. It was kinda cool to see the FWD stuff represented even though it was in the back with the other advertisers. Does anyone know anything about these? If you go with an FM build you can get them for 1100 dollars Their the same as 360 rods right?
    Here is a good article though about all automotive connecting rods.
    http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/82378/
    Last edited by WickedShelby88; 05-15-2009 at 02:48 AM.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

They are not the same as 318/360.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Yeah I guess they aren't the same. I looked up the specs. I heard that said somewhere. Must of been BS info. Not even long enough for a tall deck build.
    Last edited by WickedShelby88; 05-15-2009 at 02:36 PM.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Okay well I thought they were the same length and journal size. Hmm. For those of you running ticking time bomb aluminum rod engines I found the above article rather interesting. A tenth the service life of steel in a racing environment. Hmm....
    V8 rods are offset due to sharing the same crankpin.

Yeah, aluminium don't last as long BUT technology has come along way. A few guys on here are using them,

turbo addict

Their plenty good for the street. Only time will tell how they hold up in a street/strip scenario. I would probably go with a good forged set. I don't see a machined forged set being worth the extra dinero in one of our engines due to the fact that the block or crank would probably give up before these would. What kind of rods are you running Simon?

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Their plenty good for the street. Only time will tell how they hold up in a street/strip scenario. I would probably go with a good forged set. I don't see a machined forged set being worth the extra dinero in one of our engines due to the fact that the block or crank would probably give up before these would. What kind of rods are you running Simon?
    Some of the high HP guys, IE Reeves switched to aluminium this year,

I ran deburred and balanced stockers with ARP's for years until my motor let go bending one, so I found a deal on a set of Eagles for an SRT and am now running those. The 2.5 likes them, seems to rev up alot faster which makes sense as they are alot lighter than stockers,

turbo addict

Save that $2 and blow the engine.