Thread: Boost issues

Mitsu booster

Boost issues

I have had a little time lately and resumed working on my "back from the dead GLH, (T1 5spd. 1985)". I got the boost gauge hooked up and went out for a drive. The car was very slug-ish and it took a long time to boost up. The car has not had plugs and wires installed yet. So I would like to think that has something to do with the miss. I had no boost until 2500rpms. Shifting around 5800 I had 11 pounds. But it seemed very slow building up to 11. I have a Mopar Stage 1 logic module. I got home early today and decided that the cat had to go, "FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY". I got in and fired it up and to my amazement it sounded better than imagined. I let it warm up and drove to the end of my driveway. Hung a right and mashed the go pedal. CRAZY BOOST! It ran a whole lot better. My last car was a Spirit R/T, so the T1 felt a little weak. While I was driving the boost flew up to 18 pounds. I backed off and pulled into a driveway to turn around. I heard that the stage1 logic module only boost to 11. I wanted to make sure it was consistant with my last boost reading so I stomped on it again. Crazy boost again, I think I'll check the vacuum line that runs out of the waste gate solenoid and runs to the turbo. After that I may need some ideas. Thanks, Bob.

Re: Boost issues

18 psi on a T1? you're in dangerous territory for over-lean and loss of a piston or rod. even 11 psi is really too much to run safely w/o monitoring your a/f ratio with a wideband or an egt gage.

yes, check the lines going from the wastegate solenoid to the wastegate can. with your boost being sluggish, then off the chart, i'd and also check to be certain the puck (swingvalve arm) is free to move back and forth and not binding up by physically moving the arm manually.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Do what Marcus said. You will fry those pistons in no time at that boost level in a stock TI motor.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the info. I checked for trouble codes, none found (55). I'll go out tonight and play with the waste gate arm and go over every inch of the vacuum line. Will a bad waste gate solenoid throw a code?

Quote Originally Posted by moparbob View Post
    Thanks for the info. I checked for trouble codes, none found (55). I'll go out tonight and play with the waste gate arm and go over every inch of the vacuum line. Will a bad waste gate solenoid throw a code?
    I believe there is a code for it. Really, you should see an overboost code depending on what LM you have, but the MP ones don't set it until a much longer delay.

Hybrid booster

You shouldn't even be able to boost over 14 lbs without it cutting out on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    You shouldn't even be able to boost over 14 lbs without it cutting out on you.
    Don't all of the MP LMs have a longer delay between seeing the high boost and cutout? I believe the GLHS MP stg. II LM has a really long time from seeing 14.7+PSI and cutting out. I thought all of them had the time bumped up a little.